NFLPA Requesting All Grass Fields

After Rogers went down, I thought a statistic of the players injured on that field would be helpful. According to this article, studies show 58% more injuries happen on artificial turf versus natural grass.  I don't know why owners would take that kind of chance with their players.

Artificial turf vs. real grass: NFL's ongoing problem with playing surfaces (foxweather.com)

Kyler Murray hurt tore his ACL on Arizona's grass field.  Sats can be whatever you make of it.

I understand the sentiment, but lets be realistic.  The synthetic is probably cheaper to maintain than having to re-sod the entire surface after some bad weather.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Kyler Murray hurt tore his ACL on Arizona's grass field.  Sats can be whatever you make of it.

I understand the sentiment, but lets be realistic.  The synthetic is probably cheaper to maintain than having to re-sod the entire surface after some bad weather.  

It's clearly about cost savings for the owners. No doubt about it. I can understand why the NFLPA would then try to make it about providing a safer work environment if the stats of 58% more injuries on artificial turf are true. When you compare players with a relatively short playing career to the billionaire owners, who should bear the burden of costs of the playing surface? I would side with the players on this one, but reasonable minds can differ.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

It is definitely cheaper to maintain. Players seem more expensive though.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

In some locals it makes perfect sense for grass but beware, bad weather at the end of the season in a cold weather location grass can be very bad as well.

Retractable green house type roof for the win.  Just kidding, I have no idea how much that would cost. Probably cost prohibitive to go with both grass and a clear retractable roof.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

They aren't saying injuries don't happen on grass. They are saying injuries happen at a higher rate on artificial turf.

Giving a large enough same size, stats have proving that.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'm not convinced that the turf was the reason for the injury. Rodgers was leaning as he was trying to spin away from Floyd. As he was leaning he was taking steps, putting a lot of stress on the achilles. How would grass have changed THAT situation? (Of course, grass gives, but I don't believe that his foot would have slipped even on grass. And it didn't appear that his foot got caught in the turf.)

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, jetfan40yrs said:

I'm not convinced that the turf was the reason for the injury. Rodgers was leaning as he was trying to spin away from Floyd. As he was leaning he was taking steps, putting a lot of stress on the achilles. How would grass have changed THAT situation? (Of course, grass gives, but I don't believe that his foot would have slipped even on grass. And it didn't appear that his foot got caught in the turf.)

I don't think there's any way to prove one way or another on a specific injury. The statistics are pretty clear on turf vs. grass though. If you want less injuries over time you pay the extra money to maintain grass fields.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't think there's any way to prove one way or another on a specific injury. The statistics are pretty clear on turf vs. grass though. If you want less injuries over time you pay the extra money to maintain grass fields.

I getcha, but there are times when we are able to see some visible evidence of cleats getting stuck in turf, when often we see cleats slip on/through grass. I would like to know what Rodgers has to say about what he felt in his ankle as he spun, if he felt his foot jam in the turf or not. 

As the article says, with many blaming the turf for Aaron's injury, and the NFLPA ED L. Howell further pushing the NFL for all grass because of it, it should be determined that the turf had something to do with this injury for them to use this as evidence; it's a significant change being presented to the owners. But I do believe change should be pushed for, though. The statistical difference seems to be significant.  

I would like to see all teams play on grass; I'm for protecting the health of players above the expense of grass fields.  (That's easy for me to say!:D)

• Upvote 1

Remember when Vinny tore his ACL when no one touched him?

The 70's and 80's were terrible for NFL players. A layer of green plastic over concrete.

Fieldturf or whatever it's called is a thousand times better than Astroturf.  Grass isn't much better unless it's taken care of.

There have been complaints about the grass at Soldier Filed for at least 10 years.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gainzo said:

Remember when Vinny tore his ACL when no one touched him?

The 70's and 80's were terrible for NFL players. A layer of green plastic over concrete.

Fieldturf or whatever it's called is a thousand times better than Astroturf.  Grass isn't much better unless it's taken care of.

There have been complaints about the grass at Soldier Filed for at least 10 years.

astroturf SUCKED. If you ever played on it you can feel your joints screaming just thinking about it. You didn't even need to get injured.

• Upvote 2

Turf Wasn’t a Factor in Aaron Rodgers’ Ruptured Achilles Tendon

Dr. Jess Flynn Sports Medicine Physician

September 12, 2023

Dr. Jessica Flynn thinks Aaron Rodgers‘ Achilles rupture was not caused by the MetLife Stadium turf. She says this could have happened regardless of the field.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/analysis/turf-wasnt-a-factor-in-aaron-rodgers-ruptured-achilles-tendon/

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

astroturf SUCKED. If you ever played on it you can feel your joints screaming just thinking about it. You didn't even need to get injured.

I played Aussie Rules Football in Boston many years ago (long story). We trained on some AstroTurf fields and they sucked. Shin splits and abrasions.

Injuries happen.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

In some locales it makes perfect sense for grass but beware, bad weather at the end of the season in a cold weather location grass can be very bad as well.

Remember when the Jets beat the Pats in NE on their muddy field.  They replaced the grass with turn on their bye week that year.

How bad would the grass be 24 hours after the Giants played on it?   The NFL schedule makers will have to work to make sure Jets/Giants don't play 2 games in a weekend on the grass.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, static14 said:

In a shared stadium on the east coast, with little downtime between games a grass field would be a horrid mess by the end of October. 

I think everyone can agree it doesn't work in a shared stadium. If the NFLPA gets their way, then the Jets or Giants will need a new stadium. But, I imagine the deal would be to phase in the grass fields over time rather than requiring it within one season.

26 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Remember when the Jets beat the Pats in NE on their muddy field.  They replaced the grass with turn on their bye week that year.

How bad would the grass be 24 hours after the Giants played on it?   The NFL schedule makers will have to work to make sure Jets/Giants don't play 2 games in a weekend on the grass.

This shouldn't be hard. That's what was done for years.

5 minutes ago, static14 said:

In a shared stadium on the east coast, with little downtime between games a grass field would be a horrid mess by the end of October. 

How hard will it really be?  Don't they actually have the grass on those replaceable trays now?  If the Garden can from from ice to hardwood, how hard can it be to replace some sod? 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Grass doesn't work when teams share a stadium.

The turf is crap when you play on it every week.

It would be tough since 2 teams play on the MetLife turf. There would be no recovery time for the grass and it may be in shambles once fall/winter comes.

4 minutes ago, Barkus said:

It would be tough since 2 teams play on the MetLife turf. There would be no recovery time for the grass and it may be in shambles once fall/winter comes.

Simple two step solution:

Step 1. Jets play the Giants for the rights to the stadium. Loser has to build another one somewhere else.

Step 2. Jets install grass field at MetLife.

• Haha 1