Jump to content

A Few Thoughts On Zach Wilson


TuscanyTile2

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think Saleh/Hackett are going to try to hide him as best they can. I think that would be the wrong approach though.  I understood (and agreed with) the way they played things (running the ball and letting our defense try to win the game) week 1, when it was a surprise to everyone that he was called into action.    But if we have bigger aspirations this season, we're going to need a real QB. 

Starting this week, take off the training wheels and let it fly.  And keep things that way for a while.  Let Zach try to ride through the storm.  We need to find out if he's capable of it.   I'm not the least bit optimistic but it's probably our best chance for this season with the QBs we have on our roster right now. 

The other key thing is Jet fans.  We need to try to not unleash our wrath on the guy when he makes mistakes.  He'll probably make multiple costly plays against the Pats (in a game I expect us to lose).  But we have to be encouraging (or at least, not negative).  We can't have him dreading playing home games.  If we're going to have any shot at this with him (insert sarcastic line here), Jet fans really need to bite their tongues.

Did you not watch the Lions & Jaguars games? Things don’t go well when Zach’s allowed to “let it fly.”

I swear this whole season feels like Groundhog Day. The Jets are mentally torturing their fanbase with this garbage. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, DireJet said:

Did you not watch the Lions & Jaguars games? Things don’t go well when Zach’s allowed to “let it fly.”

I swear this whole season feels like Groundhog Day. The Jets are mentally torturing their fanbase with this garbage. 

Yes.  And it doesn't matter.  If we're going to do anything this year, we need ZW to progress.  We have to give him enough leash to let him attempt that.  If he makes bad plays (as I think most of us expect he will), we have to let him try to fight through it.  He's still a #2 overall pick so there has to at least be some skills to work with.  He does have a great arm and he's a very good scrambler so those are at least 2 foundational pieces the CS can work with.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yes.  And it doesn't matter.  If we're going to do anything this year, we need ZW to progress.  We have to give him enough leash to let him attempt that.  If he makes bad plays (as I think most of us expect he will), we have to let him try to fight through it.  He's still a #2 overall pick so there has to at least be some skills to work with.  He does have a great arm and he's a very good scrambler so those are at least 2 foundational pieces the CS can work with.

We already went through this last year. I’m a fan of letting him use the whole play book like a real adult QB, but I’m not hopeful the results will be anything but garbage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think Saleh/Hackett are going to try to hide him as best they can. I think that would be the wrong approach though.  I understood (and agreed with) the way they played things (running the ball and letting our defense try to win the game) week 1, when it was a surprise to everyone that he was called into action.    But if we have bigger aspirations this season, we're going to need a real QB. 

Starting this week, take off the training wheels and let it fly.  And keep things that way for a while.  Let Zach try to ride through the storm.  We need to find out if he's capable of it.   I'm not the least bit optimistic but it's probably our best chance for this season with the QBs we have on our roster right now. 

The other key thing is Jet fans.  We need to try to not unleash our wrath on the guy when he makes mistakes.  He'll probably make multiple costly plays against the Pats (in a game I expect us to lose).  But we have to be encouraging (or at least, not negative).  We can't have him dreading playing home games.  If we're going to have any shot at this with him (insert sarcastic line here), Jet fans really need to bite their tongues.

Agreed. A run-run-run-take a shot sounds good, but it's hard for any QB to 'take a shot' while having no rhythm with the WRs/TEs.

Saleh said Rodgers wanted a lot of 3-WR looks, but after ZW came in they scaled it way back. But the 3-wide look is what they practiced all TC. It's our new offense under Hackett. Roll with it. Let Zach develop at least SOME chemistry with Lazard, Cobb, Wilson. Maybe not 40 throws/game, but I'd be ok with 25. A balanced 25 run 25 pass would be ideal.

Plus it's not fair to Cook/Breece to have the box STACKED 90% of the game.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think Saleh/Hackett are going to try to hide him as best they can. I think that would be the wrong approach though.  I understood (and agreed with) the way they played things (running the ball and letting our defense try to win the game) week 1, when it was a surprise to everyone that he was called into action.    But if we have bigger aspirations this season, we're going to need a real QB. 

Starting this week, take off the training wheels and let it fly.  And keep things that way for a while.  Let Zach try to ride through the storm.  We need to find out if he's capable of it.   I'm not the least bit optimistic but it's probably our best chance for this season with the QBs we have on our roster right now. 

The other key thing is Jet fans.  We need to try to not unleash our wrath on the guy when he makes mistakes.  He'll probably make multiple costly plays against the Pats (in a game I expect us to lose).  But we have to be encouraging (or at least, not negative).  We can't have him dreading playing home games.  If we're going to have any shot at this with him (insert sarcastic line here), Jet fans really need to bite their tongues.

I’d disagree. Ground and pound is the path towards success. We have 2 stud rbs, and an O-line that is better at run blocking than in pass protection.

He has to make the easy throws. We need lots of Slants and screens and high percentage throws. And he has to be more decisive out there. A major weakness he has is holding the ball too long.

I don’t want him playing hero ball running around 25 yards behind the LOS. Take what the defense gives you. Don’t turn the ball over. 

And yes he will have to complete a couple of big boy throws each game. But we don’t want him throwing the ball 50 times a game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I’d disagree. Ground and pound is the path towards success. We have 2 stud rbs, and an O-line that is better at run blocking than in pass protection.

He has to make the easy throws. We need lots of Slants and screens and high percentage throws. And he has to be more decisive out there. A major weakness he has is holding the ball too long.

I don’t want him playing hero ball running around 25 yards behind the LOS. Take what the defense gives you. Don’t turn the ball over. 

And yes he will have to complete a couple of big boy throws each game. But we don’t want him throwing the ball 50 times a game.

Not saying 50 throws a game but it can't be 15 throws either.  If we play too cautiously opponents are going to load up against the run.  We need ZW to be capable out there.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not saying 50 throws a game but it can't be 15 throws either.  If we play too cautiously opponents are going to load up against the run.  We need ZW to be capable out there.

I agree. Needs to be a good balance. But the ground game is our strength. We just need to get to 20 points and we can win most games. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unlike 2009 when we were "ground & pound" and Sanchez had the "color coded
wristband" this roster has too many weapons to try and hide Wilson.  The
best options on that roster were all ground related (Jones, Greene, Washington,
Smith):

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/nyj/season/2009/seasontype/2

I think Hackett & Downing are going to give Wilson a legit game plan where
over a typical 60 plays on offense it will break down:

35 touches to RBs, which will be a combo of rushes and screen passes

25 passes to WR & TE, where 5 will be vertical shots down field
 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think a mix of run game and deep shots will be important.

Roll the pocket and give Wilson half field reads and a little more defined clock as he’s rolling out. Max protect a little and have him throw it away if nothing’s there.

Use Garrett Wilson on double moves so teams can’t sit on the underneath throws he’ll consistently get open on.

That and use some misdirection and the run game to get easy ones to the tight ends underneath.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Another zach thread??  What is there to keep talking about?  Zach Wilson stinks.  He is awful.  Can he get better?  Sure.  We will see how he looks on Sunday.

There is really nothing else to talk about w/ the guy.

Geez, another poster bashing Zach on the first page. The disease is strong with this one.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wilson did better in the Buffalo game than most care to admit. He had a terrible interception, yes, but also looked like a young player still figuring things out. We saw the same thing with Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez, and Sam Darnold, and the list goes on. Geno figured it out, Mark did not, and Sam's story has yet be completed.

I will note that the coaching staff isn't doing Wilson any favors with the ultra-conservative approach. Putting him in 3rd and long situations because you decide to run a HB Blast into 8 man boxes isn't on Wilson, it's on the coaching staff. Throwing balls directly to the BIlls MLB, however, is on Wilson.

From what I can see, regularly putting him into 3-step drops that lead to batted passes also probably isn't a great idea. Haven't seen that this year, but seen it plenty before to know that it's probably not what Zach wants to do, if he had his way. 

Wilson's main problem is moving from his first to second read. If his first read isn't there, particularly on three steps drop, he seems to panic. Whether that's due to his offensive line, or because he's got happy feet, I don't know. But I do know that he needs to be put in more favorable throwing situations, especially with receivers like Garret Wilson. Nathaniel Hackett should include more play-action and five-step drops to give him a better pocket and more field vision. 

Despite his struggles, Wilson showed promise with three solid throws against Buffalo. Considering he only had 21 attempts (many of which were screen passes) and it was against a good defense, I'll take it. Plus, he had little, if any, practice time and still had to perform in a high-pressure Monday Night Football where everyone was expecting Aaron Rodgers and not Zach Wilson. Under those conditions, he held his own.

Players can and do improve; Wilson still has room for growth. So let's give him that chance. He's all we've got and there's nothing else out there.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just hope his Every Throw tape isn't 90% 3rd and 8+.  I do think this Dallas D is good enough to where we have to threaten on early downs.

I trust that the coaching staff will have this team prepared.  But mostly Im expecting an emotional letdown game.

Of all the emotions running on this board over AR and the season that could have been, I imagine it's running much deeper in the team.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, KRL said:

Unlike 2009 when we were "ground & pound" and Sanchez had the "color coded
wristband" this roster has too many weapons to try and hide Wilson.  The
best options on that roster were all ground related (Jones, Greene, Washington,
Smith):

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/nyj/season/2009/seasontype/2

I think Hackett & Downing are going to give Wilson a legit game plan where
over a typical 60 plays on offense it will break down:

35 touches to RBs, which will be a combo of rushes and screen passes

25 passes to WR & TE, where 5 will be vertical shots down field
 

You make a great point. Hackett & Downing are both experienced OCs, playcallers. That’s an upgrade, advantage to last season. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The same hope that is useful in convincing some that Zach will make a huge leap and that the Jets will be just peachy with him behind center, will have the equal and opposite reaction of them wanting Zach kneecapped when we loses a game in embarrassing fashion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think Saleh/Hackett are going to try to hide him as best they can. I think that would be the wrong approach though.  I understood (and agreed with) the way they played things (running the ball and letting our defense try to win the game) week 1, when it was a surprise to everyone that he was called into action.    But if we have bigger aspirations this season, we're going to need a real QB. 

Starting this week, take off the training wheels and let it fly.  And keep things that way for a while.  Let Zach try to ride through the storm.  We need to find out if he's capable of it.   I'm not the least bit optimistic but it's probably our best chance for this season with the QBs we have on our roster right now. 

The other key thing is Jet fans.  We need to try to not unleash our wrath on the guy when he makes mistakes.  He'll probably make multiple costly plays against the Pats (in a game I expect us to lose).  But we have to be encouraging (or at least, not negative).  We can't have him dreading playing home games.  If we're going to have any shot at this with him (insert sarcastic line here), Jet fans really need to bite their tongues.

@T0mShane don’t screw this up.   There’s our captain who will last longer than Rodgers in 2023.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

I just hope his Every Throw tape isn't 90% 3rd and 8+.  I do think this Dallas D is good enough to where we have to threaten on early downs.

I trust that the coaching staff will have this team prepared.  But mostly Im expecting an emotional letdown game.

Of all the emotions running on this board over AR and the season that could have been, I imagine it's running much deeper in the team.

Run run pass isn’t doing him any favors 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...