A few random Jets thoughts / questions ...

36 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. With Aaron Rodgers on the sideline and in the locker room, I can't imagine the WRs will act like they did last year at times.  Throwing their arms up or shaking their head in frustration after inaccurate passes, ....  It wasn't just Moore and Mims, you'll recall it was Garrett as well.  Like him or not, the goal is to 'lift' Zach Wilson up, not kick him when he's down

2. Aaron Rodgers will bring a level of accountability that I don't believe Saleh was capable of last year.  Part 'QB coach', part assistant OC, part respected locker room leader

3. Zach is such a good athlete.  Who else thinks we should script some running plays for him such as a run/pass option when rolling out?  I also get they're trying to teach him to hang in the pocket but I don't think it should be to the extent where he is discouraged to scramble when the opportunity presents itself (forward, not backward).  Of course, sliding before he gets tackled

4. Breece's patience & vision are off the charts, both on display his first run of the game.  Scary combo with his athleticism & speed.  I've read a couple stories that imply Breece is fully recovered, I'm wondering if 80% Breece Hall is just that much better than average running backs

5. We know defenses are going to stack the box to stop the running game and try to force Zach Wilson to throw.  That actually fits into what makes Breece such a scary RB.  If he finds a seam against a stacked box, he's gone (especially as he builds his endurance and continues to fully recover from the Achilles)

6. Damn, Jeremy Ruckert is a great blocker.  Why isn't he on the field even more, especially with a Wilson run offense?  Great asset to have when doubling Parsons this coming week; I'd also leak him out in the passing game to keep the D off balance  

7. Part of what makes Ruckert a great blocker is his killer mentality and aggressivenessUnfortunately, I see this lacking on the offensive line.  Not a good look for JD, a former OL who has failed to build an OL identity ... something the DL clearly has  

8. Why was Laken Tomlinson handed the starting job?  Why was Duane Brown handed the starting job?  I personally thought they were both awful on Monday Night.  This year better be about winning and if either or both of them can't get the job done, then let's move around some pieces and give Tippmann and maybe Schweitzer a chance

9. The biggest strength of the offense is running behind AVT, Becton and Ruckert.  Let's utilize that strength and play off of it (play action to Garrett or isolate him on the left).  First time in a long time I see our offense with a legitimate competitive advantage

10. Against an aggressive Dallas D, is this the week for some double moves and trick plays? 

11. Ulbrich seemed less predictable against the Bills, more willing than last year to deviate from his scheme.  I think that's going to make the Defense that much more dangerous 

12. Winning contributions from Whitehead, Adams, Sherwood (2 tackles on only 4 plays), Ruckert, and Gipson .... all players who entered this year with question marks

13. What the hell got into Quincy Williams?  He looked possessed and if he and Whitehead really made that much progress, this Defense takes a major step up 

Very nice break downs which I agree with !  I'm starting to feel some very good hope for this game. What had been hoped for as survival against Dallas after seeing what they did to the Giants is now thinking we have a very good shot of stealing this win in a low scoring defensive battle.

Breece/Cook with beast mode O line and TE (Ruckert Machine) Run blocking to open up play action for Zack... !  Can't Wait! GO JETS!!!

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. With Aaron Rodgers on the sideline and in the locker room, I can't imagine the WRs will act like they did last year at times.  Throwing their arms up or shaking their head in frustration after inaccurate passes, ....  It wasn't just Moore and Mims, you'll recall it was Garrett as well.  Like him or not, the goal is to 'lift' Zach Wilson up, not kick him when he's down

2. Aaron Rodgers will bring a level of accountability that I don't believe Saleh was capable of last year.  Part 'QB coach', part assistant OC, part respected locker room leader

3. Zach is such a good athlete.  Who else thinks we should script some running plays for him such as a run/pass option when rolling out?  I also get they're trying to teach him to hang in the pocket but I don't think it should be to the extent where he is discouraged to scramble when the opportunity presents itself (forward, not backward).  Of course, sliding before he gets tackled

4. Breece's patience & vision are off the charts, both on display his first run of the game.  Scary combo with his athleticism & speed.  I've read a couple stories that imply Breece is fully recovered, I'm wondering if 80% Breece Hall is just that much better than average running backs

5. We know defenses are going to stack the box to stop the running game and try to force Zach Wilson to throw.  That actually fits into what makes Breece such a scary RB.  If he finds a seam against a stacked box, he's gone (especially as he builds his endurance and continues to fully recover from the Achilles)

6. Damn, Jeremy Ruckert is a great blocker.  Why isn't he on the field even more, especially with a Wilson run offense?  Great asset to have when doubling Parsons this coming week; I'd also leak him out in the passing game to keep the D off balance  

7. Part of what makes Ruckert a great blocker is his killer mentality and aggressivenessUnfortunately, I see this lacking on the offensive line.  Not a good look for JD, a former OL who has failed to build an OL identity ... something the DL clearly has  

8. Why was Laken Tomlinson handed the starting job?  Why was Duane Brown handed the starting job?  I personally thought they were both awful on Monday Night.  This year better be about winning and if either or both of them can't get the job done, then let's move around some pieces and give Tippmann and maybe Schweitzer a chance

9. The biggest strength of the offense is running behind AVT, Becton and Ruckert.  Let's utilize that strength and play off of it (play action to Garrett or isolate him on the left).  First time in a long time I see our offense with a legitimate competitive advantage

10. Against an aggressive Dallas D, is this the week for some double moves and trick plays? 

11. Ulbrich seemed less predictable against the Bills, more willing than last year to deviate from his scheme.  I think that's going to make the Defense that much more dangerous 

12. Winning contributions from Whitehead, Adams, Sherwood (2 tackles on only 4 plays), Ruckert, and Gipson .... all players who entered this year with question marks

13. What the hell got into Quincy Williams?  He looked possessed and if he and Whitehead really made that much progress, this Defense takes a major step up 

This was one of those "TLDR" posts except I did read it and I really enjoyed it.  I definitely agree on #3.  Script some rollouts for ZW with the option to run or pass.

• Upvote 2

Rodgers will definitely help Zach but what will he hold Saleh accountable for?  If Zach falls flat on his face again this season, things could get extremely ugly.  If it happens, it won't be a good look for everyone, including Rodgers, to rescind the whole "Zach heir apparent" schtick.

And I agree with Ulbrich.  It was nice to see him send extra guys at Allen.  Since Mosley can't cover, might as well send him at the QB, delayed or not.  He got close to Allen once or twice.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, Hex said:

Explain.

So, I hear announcers say that Zach Wilson is “athletic” because he “escapes the rush,” but what they fail to mention is that Zach “escapes the rush” by running away from the line of scrimmage, to space where there are no defensive players. He’s in a dead sprint retreat in the opposite direction of the goal line, being pursued by defensive linemen who aren’t going to chase him that far. You know what an “athletic” QB can do? They can outrun a linebacker to the corner and advance the ball for positive yardage. That’s pretty athletic! If Lamar Jackson, for instance, wanted to take the snap and simply run backwards away from the line of scrimmage, he could probably rack up negative rushing yards at a historic pace, but he doesn’t. You know why? Because he’s actually athletic and doesn’t need to scurry toward his own end zone. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, I hear announcers say that Zach Wilson is “athletic” because he “escapes the rush,” but what they fail to mention is that Zach “escapes the rush” by running away from the line of scrimmage, to space where there are no defensive players. He’s in a dead sprint retreat in the opposite direction of the goal line, being pursued by defensive linemen who aren’t going to chase him that far. You know what an “athletic” QB can do? They can outrun a linebacker to the corner and advance the ball for positive yardage. That’s pretty athletic! If Lamar Jackson, for instance, wanted to take the snap and simply run backwards away from the line of scrimmage, he could probably rack up negative rushing yards at a historic pace, but he doesn’t. You know why? Because he’s actually athletic and doesn’t need to scurry toward his own end zone. 

My God, "scurry" is the perfect word to describe Zach's foot work. 

• Upvote 1

For all the talk about the Cowboys pass rush (and justifiably so!) our defense was lights out on Monday.

Can’t wait to see them ball out again against another top offense.

Even if we are not scoring td’s we need to milk the clock and keep our defense rested. Can’t be starting the game out with successive three and outs on offense. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I would also run BH behind  Bawden as well. If we are going to commit to the run, let’s do it fully. 22 personnel grouping.

With Diggs & Gilmore, we won’t be throwing the ball much anyway!

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, slats said:

That was the first time the entire OL played together. I’m encouraged that every one of them played 100% of the snaps on Monday. I expect Brown to improve significantly. Tomlinson is a concern. I think everyone expected him to be an effective plug & play guard but instead he’s been a disappointment. They’ll give the entire unit a chance to gel but, if it doesn’t, getting Tippmann on the field would be my priority, preferably at center and maybe moving McGovern over to guard. If behind AVT and Becton is money, it could be even more so with Tippman pulling in their direction. 

I have more hope that Brown improves. He had so little work during preseason. Tomlinson, wow, what a disappointment. Did Tippman play?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, DireJet said:

Aaron Rodgers is not a coach and I don’t understand why fans are creating this fantasy world where his mere presence elevates a bad QB. This is fairytale stuff. Stop it. 

Because Saleh even talks about it... You are so miserable I think you need to take a time out. Your badgering of other posters of doom and gloom does nothing to help and you come off as a pompous ass... 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is a total myth. 

I said good ‘athlete’, not QB..  

He is a good athlete, there was a good example of that in preseason with a long run down the sidelines.  Forward, not backwards ;)

It’s ok to acknowledge that people who we might not think are very good actually have some positive traits.  Zach’s athleticism should be cultivated/leveraged to help his game and the Jets.  If he sees green and nobody’s open, he should take off.  Forward, not backwards ..

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Because Saleh even talks about it... You are so miserable I think you need to take a time out. Your badgering of other posters of doom and gloom does nothing to help and you come off as a pompous ass... 

Oh, everyone needs the same opinion! Got it! I’m not gonna live in fantasyland. 

• Thumb Down 2

2 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Saleh is the biggest bullsh*t artist ever. I don’t trust even 25% of what comes out of his mouth. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

6 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I said good ‘athlete’, not QB..  

He is a good athlete, there was a good example of that in preseason with a long run down the sidelines.  Forward, not backwards ;)

It’s ok to acknowledge that people who we might not think are very good actually have some positive traits.  Zach’s athleticism should be cultivated/leveraged to help his game and the Jets.  If he sees green and nobody’s open, he should take off.  Forward, not backwards ..

Yeah, I get you, but that doesn’t make him a good “athlete” relative to other NFL QBs. He’s never let himself be timed in the 40 since high school*, never jumped in front of scouts, and what little we’ve seen of his scrambling “ability” has never merited adjusting the game plan to incorporate a QB run game. He’s roughly about as athletic as Brock Purdy, but nobody calls Brock Purdy “athletic” because Brock Purdy is a pretty good QB. 

*Ran a 4.84

IMG_4343.jpeg

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Double moves? Not going to happen against the Dallas pass rush. Not enough time.

If there will be a double move it will be an unscripted roll out.

If there was ever a game where Zach Needs to step up into the pocket and let his Tackles push the DE's to the outside this is it. if when he starts to move up in the pocket nothing is open he needs to either throw the ball away or run it and slide for a few yards if they are available. if he tries to run backwards from Micah Parsons he's going to get sacked for a 10 + yard loss more than once. This is a very simple formula for a QB to grasp vs an aggressive defense.

When it comes to blocking Parsons I think the only way is to try and dictate to him by meeting him head on and hitting him hard and using our TE's for the Double teams not the RB's. When you do have a chance to hit him, hit him so hard his teeth Rattle /

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

Have you not watched the offseason at all ? Rodgers has had an effect on this entire team. He has taken a lot of the young players under his wing and they are buying into it 100% to say he's not going to help coach this team and be effective is ridiculous. There's no fairy tale here and I'm sure Hackett will welcome any input during games Aaron can provide. Most every coach or HC or Coordinator in this league and in every league is a former player and every single Jet I saw interviewed stated how Rodgers knowledge also impacted them. So I'm not sure where your going with this but you seem to be the one in the fantasy world .

I just don’t buy into the notion. It’s fluff. Players have to stand on their own two feet. 

• Thumb Down 2

Just now, DireJet said:

I just don’t buy into the notion. It’s fluff. Players have to stand on their own two feet. 

Yeah in some cases yes but this game can get very complicated at times and have someone with that kind of knowledge and is willing to help is huge. Influence sometimes is underrated and Rodgers seems to have a very big influence on these players.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Smashmouth said:

Yeah in some cases yes but this game can get very complicated at times and have someone with that kind of knowledge and is willing to help is huge. Influence sometimes is underrated and Rodgers seems to have a very big influence on these players.

That could work w/a halfway decent QB. ZW ain’t that. He’s horrific. 

• Thumb Down 2

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I get you, but that doesn’t make him a good “athlete” relative to other NFL QBs. He’s never let himself be timed in the 40 since high school*, never jumped in front of scouts, and what little we’ve seen of his scrambling “ability” has never merited adjusting the game plan to incorporate a QB run game. He’s roughly about as athletic as Brock Purdy, but nobody calls Brock Purdy “athletic” because Brock Purdy is a pretty good QB. 

*Ran a 4.84

IMG_4343.jpeg

Where is this from?

High School Field Day?

I’ll let you have the last word Tom and we’ll respectfully disagree on Zach being a good athlete.  I have too much going on today to pull tapes of him dunking basketballs (lol) or explain the reasons he might not have certain athletic drills on record (COVID, draft status).

My eyes tell me he is a good athlete relative to other QBs in this league.  Not at the top of the list but good enough to leverage.

I’ve been wrong plenty of times before and always enjoy reading your posts.  

• Upvote 3