Random Thought on the Pressure of the NFL

Smashmouth

I was thinking how much constantly being in close hard fought games effects a team physically and mentally. I mean its nice to have a game or multiple games where you just blow a team out and get to coast a little rather than being under constant pressure . Its comparable to a boxer, look at the toll some of the Ali Frazier fights took on those guys.

It has to be close to that in football if you're constantly having to push the envelope and fight hard every down It has to take a toll and possibly cause injury due to constant fatigue . Last year was a prime example with all the injuries as it was in years past . If we keep playing in games like the Bills game eventually it will take its toll. 

This could very well be why we keep having so many injuries fatigue leads to problems and the jets have played in a lot of close games the past 3 years and it took its toll last year and the year before. If that theory is correct we could be heading in the same direction this year. So when a QB plays bad like Zach has I think the effect is across the board not just on the scoreboard. Im not saying this to bash Zach I'm basing what I'm saying on fact .... We have had bad QB play.... It has caused us to be in numerous hard fought close games .... and it has taken its toll on the team both mentally and physically. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The pressure got to Rodgers Monday night.  He was a deer in the headlights.  Gun shy, running backwards etc.  It is why he got hurt.  He looked like Zach Wilson on those 3 dropbacks.

You can have that opinion but you don't have a big enough sample size to back it up. Rodgers is allowed to get confused from time to time and I'm sure its happen to him 100's of times throughout his career , The Key is you can't constantly be confused and Im sure Rodgers would have settled in at some point and TBH it may not even have been in this game. There have been bad games in Rodgers career some of them were on display when he was playing the Jets you just can't let it engulf you and not move on from it, Rodgers Always moved on from bad games

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

You can have that opinion but you don't have a big enough sample size to back it up. Rodgers is allowed to get confused from time to time and I'm sure its happen to him 100's of times throughout his career , The Key is you can't constantly be confused and Im sure Rodgers would have settled in at some point and TBH it may not even have been in this game. There have been bad games in Rodgers career some of them were on display when he was playing the Jets you just can't let it engulf you and not move on from it, Rodgers Always moved on from bad games

To be fair he did require a little help moving on from this one. FML!!

39 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I was thinking how much constantly being in close hard fought games effects a team physically and mentally. I mean its nice to have a game or multiple games where you just blow a team out and get to coast a little rather than being under constant pressure . Its comparable to a boxer, look at the toll some of the Ali Frazier fights took on those guys.

It has to be close to that in football if you're constantly having to push the envelope and fight hard every down It has to take a toll and possibly cause injury due to constant fatigue . Last year was a prime example with all the injuries as it was in years past . If we keep playing in games like the Bills game eventually it will take its toll. 

This could very well be why we keep having so many injuries fatigue leads to problems and the jets have played in a lot of close games the past 3 years and it took its toll last year and the year before. If that theory is correct we could be heading in the same direction this year. So when a QB plays bad like Zach has I think the effect is across the board not just on the scoreboard. Im not saying this to bash Zach I'm basing what I'm saying on fact .... We have had bad QB play.... It has caused us to be in numerous hard fought close games .... and it has taken its toll on the team both mentally and physically. 

IDK. I feel like the first half of Brady's career Pats were in a ton of close games that they (cheated) to pull out in the end with a Defensive stop or late score. It didn't seem to hurt them in the win column.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

Fan reaction is a trailing, not leading indicator. People have confused correlation with causation, which is very common in all aspects of life.

Im telling mrs Wilson on you 

and when snack time comes you won't get any uncrustables

side note Aaron Rodgers has a long standing tradition of not taking any blame. He takes all the credit. When he gets hurt or something goes wrong it's always someone else's fault. Zach is the same way. 

look at last year's film and even the year before he was holding the ball forever on quick hitters

this will go down as the fans fault or Duane Brown's fault or the curse of joe willy's fault but make no mistake this was Aaron Rodgers getting old right before our eyes

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

True but the margin of victory percentages of 1 score games basically dominate the NFL scoreboards on week to week basis and while sometimes you may win by a wider margin, the large percentage of those games are still decided in the 4th quarter.  And then you also have examples of team who get hot at the right time, playing close hard fought games and carrying that momentum into the post season as well.  So while I dont disagree w/ your premise, it definitely will weigh it's toll, it's also hard to avoid.  Especially if you play in a competitive division like the Jets.  They dont get to play the Colts, Texans and Titans, twice. 

Like Jonah on the ship leaving Nineveh, we convinced ourselves that we escaped our fate. The Gods indeed would not be thwarted.

For me, this is Jungian.

He said "the thing that you resist the most, is what you will get the most."

We resisted ever again having to see Zach Wilson under center for the NY Jets. We thought we did everything we could to make sure it became a reality; we were naive in our assumptions that this time, the stars would align in favor of our desire. 

I have accepted my fate. 

In life there is a thing called altruistic harm, meaning not every good intention leads to a positive outcome. Another way to look at it is "enabling". 

I have experienced getting fired from a job and thinking my life is over but ever since that day my love became exponentially better. It forced me to work harder, be better, overcome and adapt. It was not the path I would have chosen, because it was wrought with fear, humility, and pain. But in the end the reward was a bounty beyond my wildest dreams prior to that day I was fired.

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

True but the margin of victory percentages of 1 score games basically dominate the NFL scoreboards on week to week basis and while sometimes you may win by a wider margin, the large percentage of those games are still decided in the 4th quarter.  And then you also have examples of team who get hot at the right time, playing close hard fought games and carrying that momentum into the post season as well.  So while I dont disagree w/ your premise, it definitely will weigh it's toll, it's also hard to avoid.  Especially if you play in a competitive division like the Jets.  They dont get to play the Colts, Texans and Titans, twice. 

Yes all good points only issue is we never have the blow out game while some of the other playoff caliber teams like the Bengals Chiefs have a fair amount of blowouts and yes some of that based on the division you play in . This gives them the option of giving players a rest where those tough 4th quarter battle's don't come into play. Look how many blow out wins the Eagles had ..it was like 7 Chiefs had 6 that's a nice  number of games.... did we have any at all ?

When you look at the D line for instance obviously when you play with a lead especially a big lead / blow out they get to pin their ears back and rush the passer its fun for them. But in a close game they are getting their faces smashed in by a running game where O line get to dictate. Bottom line O line love to run block because they can set the tone D-line love to rush the passer for the same reasons. Lots of ways to look at it . I would much rather see our guys get to yuck it up on the sidelines and have fun in a blow out, play some of the kids and have fun :)

19 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

Like Jonah on the ship leaving Nineveh, we convinced ourselves that we escaped our fate. The Gods indeed would not be thwarted.

For me, this is Jungian.

He said "the thing that you resist the most, is what you will get the most."

We resisted ever again having to see Zach Wilson under center for the NY Jets. We thought we did everything we could to make sure it became a reality; we were naive in our assumptions that this time, the stars would align in favor of our desire. 

I have accepted my fate. 

In life there is a thing called altruistic harm, meaning not every good intention leads to a positive outcome. Another way to look at it is "enabling". 

I have experienced getting fired from a job and thinking my life is over but ever since that day my love became exponentially better. It forced me to work harder, be better, overcome and adapt. It was not the path I would have chosen, because it was wrought with fear, humility, and pain. But in the end the reward was a bounty beyond my wildest dreams prior to that day I was fired.

anything about fatigue in the nfl ?

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

IDK. I feel like the first half of Brady's career Pats were in a ton of close games that they (cheated) to pull out in the end with a Defensive stop or late score. It didn't seem to hurt them in the win column.

There's a train of thought that being in close games makes a team emotionally stronger, and that they then learn how to win those close contests.  They become mentally stronger.

Sure, Rodgers may have been overcome with emotion the first few plays.  A lot of players have that, and settle in after a series or two.   He just didn't get a chance to settle down.

An interesting statistic to find would be when injuries occur in games.  Is there a spike late in the third early in the 4th?  Later in the season as opposed to earlier?

Find stats on grass vs turf while you're at it.

Maybe humidity and barometric pressure statistics as well.

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The pressure got to Rodgers Monday night.  He was a deer in the headlights.  Gun shy, running backwards etc.  It is why he got hurt.  He looked like Zach Wilson on those 3 dropbacks.

Guys like me and JetsFan80 get killed for blasting ZW based on a 17-game sample of dogsh-t play.

But literally 4 snaps of Rodgers on opening night is fair game 😃

And I guess the moment was too big for him.  Nothing compared to playing in the Super Bowl or countless other big-time prime time and playoff games.

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Please give this line of thinking up.  He played for 4 freaking plays before getting injured.  And one of those was a running play.

22 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Yes all good points only issue is we never have the blow out game while some of the other playoff caliber teams like the Bengals Chiefs have a fair amount of blowouts and yes some of that based on the division you play in . This gives them the option of giving players a rest where those tough 4th quarter battle's don't come into play. Look how many blow out wins the Eagles had ..it was like 7 Chiefs had 6 that's a nice  number of games.... did we have any at all ?

When you look at the D line for instance obviously when you play with a lead especially a big lead / blow out they get to pin their ears back and rush the passer its fun for them. But in a close game they are getting their faces smashed in by a running game where O line get to dictate. Bottom line O line love to run block because they can set the tone D-line love to rush the passer for the same reasons. Lots of ways to look at it . I would much rather see our guys get to yuck it up on the sidelines and have fun in a blow out, play some of the kids and have fun :)

I understand everything you're saying here, i"m just saying, it's a little to simplistic and wishful thinking.  And you're being a little short sighted here my old friend, the Jets blew out the Dolphins (40-17), Packers (27-10) and Bears (31-10), just last season, that's almost half their wins.

Again, I'm just looking at the data.  The percentages say most of your games will be decided by 7 or less points and the majority of those games are decided in the 4th quarter.  

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Please, you're embarrassing yourself.  He was on the field for 4 plays.

Does saying he was on the field for 4 plays make you feel better?  Thats the only sample I have and that is exactly what he looked like.  He looked exactly like Zach Wilson on those plays.  Running backwards, holding the ball to long, not hitting open receivers etc.  And that directly led to him getting injured.

I still cant understand why he looked like that.

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Does saying he was on the field for 4 plays make you feel better?  Thats the only sample I have and that is exactly what he looked like.  He looked exactly like Zach Wilson on those plays.  Running backwards, holding the ball to long, not hitting open receivers etc.  I still cant understand why.

Yup, Aaron Rodgers was totally frozen by the moment. Largest moment in his life. Never faced anything like that before. 

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Does saying he was on the field for 4 plays make you feel better?  Thats the only sample I have and that is exactly what he looked like.  He looked exactly like Zach Wilson on those plays.  Running backwards, holding the ball to long, not hitting open receivers etc.  And that directly led to him getting injured.

I still cant understand why he looked like that.

You're sticking with this idiocy?  It was 4 plays.  You can't glean anything from that.