Philly treatment of Trea Turner

Phillyjet

4 minutes ago, DireJet said:

If Woody gives fans a 25% discount on tickets, maybe, just maybe, Zach will get some support. But this is a two way street. Our bread needs to get buttered, too. 

So behave in a way that negatively impacts the players. Doesn't make sense if you think about it. Hope it makes you feel better - or "butters your bread", whatever tf that means.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

With the realization that Zach is the starter for the rest of the season, I fear the fans will turn against him the first time he throws an interception or grounds the ball.  There are significant questions about whether Zach can process the speed of the game, but there is a huge element of confidence problems that contributed to his decline last year.  He has undeniable top shelf traits, and while it is unlikely that he will hit his ceiling, there is a fair discussion of fan treatment of him for the rest of the year.

Which brings me to Trea Turner on the Phillies.  Anyone who is aware of the situation down in Philly knows that Trea Turner sucked terribly early in the season, way underperforming his free agent contract.  But a funny thing happened with the Philly fan as this was going on.  Rather than dump on him, they started cheering him on every time he came to the plate.  It helped lift him out of a career slump and he then thanked them on billboards across the region for the support.

It's fair to wonder whether the Jet fanbase might similarly realize that we have fully written off Zach but he is the unquestioned starter for the rest of the year.  Rather than continuing to bash him and boo him on gameday, what would it look like if we took the Trea Turner approach with him?  It may just work.  And it may be our only option if we are hoping to salvage a season and team with so much promise.  We just need to lift him up to effective game manager.  Anything above that is a bonus.

I agree with this 100%.  

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, DireJet said:

Anything we do has no impact on ZW’s performance on the field. Never has. Never will. He needs to play better. 

I disagree.  You don't think it's in his head that the home fans vociferously booed him last season?

41 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If there is one thing that Philadelphia is known for, it is their friendly, understanding fanbase.

40 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Yes.

Emulate Philadelphia fans.

It's official. I've heard everything.

Lol!  I get that these are sarcastic posts but the Trea Turner positive reinforcement thing from Philly fans actually did happen.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, DireJet said:

Anything we do has no impact on ZW’s performance on the field. Never has. Never will. He needs to play better. 

This might be the dumbest remark yet... So you are telling me that Michael Jordan getting heckled at a basketball game had no effect on his performance.... So niave 

No I am not comparing Zach to MJ... Just giving context that fans reactions do effect players

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, DireJet said:

If Woody gives fans a 25% discount on tickets, maybe, just maybe, Zach will get some support. But this is a two way street. Our bread needs to get buttered, too. 

why do you want him to suck?  i get it - he hasn't performed yet.  but to keep wanting him to suck is counter-productive.  hope for the best out of him and your bread will be butterded.

• Upvote 1

Just now, heymangold said:

why do you want him to suck?  i get it - he hasn't performed yet.  but to keep wanting him to suck is counter-productive.  hope for the best out of him and your bread will be butterded.

I’m done with the ZW experiment. This is year 3. I thought we’d moved on. It’s frustrating as hell. We know what he is. He’s not gonna magically get good all of the sudden. I wish we signed a real backup QB in the off-season that wasn’t a massive liability on gameday. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • More Ugh 1

Just now, DireJet said:

I’m done with the ZW experiment. This is year 3. I thought we’d moved on. It’s frustrating as hell. We know what he is. He’s not gonna magically get good all of the sudden. I wish we signed a real backup QB in the off-season that wasn’t a massive liability on gameday. 

So what, nobody cares... He is the QB... You choose to support or hate on your own... 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Realism isn't booing the QB of your team when he is all they have... It's being an a$$hole because you are mad. 

Okay man you do you. I’m not a fan of ZW or the organization’s handling of him and refusal to admit they were wrong. I can have my opinion. If you don’t like it, just scroll on by. 

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, DireJet said:

Okay man you do you. I’m not a fan of ZW or the organization’s handling of him and refusal to admit they were wrong. I can have my opinion. If you don’t like it, just scroll on by. 

Boo hoo the organization doesn't listen to me.... So I am going to waste my time and boo the QB.. God you are pathetic

19 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

This might be the dumbest remark yet... So you are telling me that Michael Jordan getting heckled at a basketball game had no effect on his performance.... So niave 

No I am not comparing Zach to MJ... Just giving context that fans reactions do effect players

We may not agree on everything , but I couldn’t agree more on this point. Just from a pure psychological standpoint, positive reinforcement goes along way. He is the starting QB, maybe not the one we wanted but he is the QB leading our team, like it or not.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, DireJet said:

How do you think you would perform if people booed you, spit on you, threw bottles at you, every time you sat at your desk?  

Honestly, with remarks like yours, you probably aren’t good enough to be given a desk.  So, how would you feel if they booed you every time you picked up your broom?  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Turner is a proven commodity who was clearly in a slump.

Zach is an unproven commodity who has never shown good-great promise. 

Apples and oranges.

Hey, don’t ruin a good narrative! Just be nice to Zach and he’ll magically become Drew Brees in Year 3! 

• Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phillyjet said:

With the realization that Zach is the starter for the rest of the season, I fear the fans will turn against him the first time he throws an interception or grounds the ball.  There are significant questions about whether Zach can process the speed of the game, but there is a huge element of confidence problems that contributed to his decline last year.  He has undeniable top shelf traits, and while it is unlikely that he will hit his ceiling, there is a fair discussion of fan treatment of him for the rest of the year.

Which brings me to Trea Turner on the Phillies.  Anyone who is aware of the situation down in Philly knows that Trea Turner sucked terribly early in the season, way underperforming his free agent contract.  But a funny thing happened with the Philly fan as this was going on.  Rather than dump on him, they started cheering him on every time he came to the plate.  It helped lift him out of a career slump and he then thanked them on billboards across the region for the support.

It's fair to wonder whether the Jet fanbase might similarly realize that we have fully written off Zach but he is the unquestioned starter for the rest of the year.  Rather than continuing to bash him and boo him on gameday, what would it look like if we took the Trea Turner approach with him?  It may just work.  And it may be our only option if we are hoping to salvage a season and team with so much promise.  We just need to lift him up to effective game manager.  Anything above that is a bonus.

In a vacuum I think Jets fans blindly supporting Zach is actually a good idea. Not something I’d ever do, but like 100% agree that he’s a head-case and fans supporting him could legitimately help his confidence. Or, more accurately, fans booing the sh*t out of him after his first pick against the Patriots on September 24th will hurt his confidence so we shouldn’t do it even though we will.

But the situations aren’t exactly analogous. Turner was in a prolonged slump but there was tangible evidence he was really good. There was strong reason to have conviction he’d turn it around.

With Zach there’s a lot of evidence the kid just doesn’t have it. And the reality is to make it in the NFL — and especially in New York or another major media market — you just need to be mentally tough. Bulletproof. Short memory, block out the noise, ice water in your veins, go out and execute.

He needs to just play better and play better now. The team around him is good and he’s being paid a lot of money. This is his last stand to be a starting QB in this league. It’s time to earn it.

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

In a vacuum I think Jets fans blindly supporting Zach is actually a good idea. Not something I’d ever do, but like 100% agree that he’s a head-case and fans supporting him could legitimately help his confidence. Or, more accurately, fans booing the sh*t out of him after his first pick against the Patriots on September 24th will hurt his confidence so we shouldn’t do it even though we will.

But the situations aren’t exactly analogous. Turner was in a prolonged slump but there was tangible evidence he was really good. There was strong reason to have conviction he’d turn it around.

With Zach there’s a lot of evidence the kid just doesn’t have it. And the reality is to make it in the NFL — and especially in New York or another major media market — you just need to be mentally tough. Bulletproof. Short memory, block out the noise, ice water in your veins, go out and execute.

He needs to just play better and play better now. The team around him is good and he’s being paid a lot of money. This is his last stand to be a starting QB in this league. It’s time to earn it.

I can get behind using a Vacuum  to clean up Zach's trash