Philly treatment of Trea Turner

Phillyjet

52 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Boo hoo the organization doesn't listen to me.... So I am going to waste my time and boo the QB.. God you are pathetic

The problem with fans like dire jet and many others on this board is that they are more interested in feeling like they are right about something than supporting the team.

Its all about ego and in this case they HAVE to prove they are right about Zach.

If you look at the Zach Wilson situation objectively, without the premediated hate that many have for him, he really came into a tough situation. The staff his first year was inexperienced and kind of mishandled this young man. They have all admitted as such. Zach should have been given AT LEAST a year to sit on the bench and learn from a vet how to be a pro.

Maybe he needed Two years. NY is a VERY tough place to play and being thrown into the Cauldron before you are mature enough to handle it was very detrimental to him obviously.

For some reason fans like Dire are unwilling to accept this fact and are also unwilling to acknowledge that people and players DO GROW. They improve with time and experience and quarterbacks especially need time to develop. This is a FACT and in spite of their unwillingness to listen, EVERY coach and person affiliated with this team has stated publicly that they have seen Zach mature in this last year.

So instead of booing like an a** Hole and spewing hate about the kid on every opportunity and on every forum, why not try to support and encourage him? I guarantee he hears the negativity and the reason it affected him last year is because he ACTUALLY Cares!! If he didn't it would not affected his confidence one iota.

Myself, sure I wish he came out of BYU and started to light it up immediately, but we are here now. I see improvement in the kid. And if you don't its because you are choosing not to. That kid came in on Monday night in an IMPOSSIBLY difficult situation and found a way to help us win. He has earned our support at least for the foreseeable future.

Haters put your egos aside and lets encourage the kid. He may turn out to be better than you think.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Jetfuel66 said:

The problem with fans like dire jet and many others on this board is that they are more interested in feeling like they are right about something than supporting the team.

Its all about ego and in this case they HAVE to prove they are right about Zach.

If you look at the Zach Wilson situation objectively, without the premediated hate that many have for him, he really came into a tough situation. The staff his first year was inexperienced and kind of mishandled this young man. They have all admitted as such. Zach should have been given AT LEAST a year to sit on the bench and learn from a vet how to be a pro.

Maybe he needed Two years. NY is a VERY tough place to play and being thrown into the Cauldron before you are mature enough to handle it was very detrimental to him obviously.

For some reason fans like Dire are unwilling to accept this fact and are also unwilling to acknowledge that people and players DO GROW. They improve with time and experience and quarterbacks especially need time to develop. This is a FACT and in spite of their unwillingness to listen, EVERY coach and person affiliated with this team has stated publicly that they have seen Zach mature in this last year.

So instead of booing like an a** Hole and spewing hate about the kid on every opportunity and on every forum, why not try to support and encourage him? I guarantee he hears the negativity and the reason it affected him last year is because he ACTUALLY Cares!! If he didn't it would not affected his confidence one iota.

Myself, sure I wish he came out of BYU and started to light it up immediately, but we are here now. I see improvement in the kid. And if you don't its because you are choosing not to. That kid came in on Monday night in an IMPOSSIBLY difficult situation and found a way to help us win. He has earned our support at least for the foreseeable future.

Haters put your egos aside and lets encourage the kid. He may turn out to be better than you think.

ZW is bad at football. You can say it. It’s okay. I don’t feel any sort of way about him personally.

And I don’t care about being “right” at all.  I just want the Jets to make the ******* playoffs for the first time in over a ******* decade. And I’m not sure that’s possible w-a QB like ZW under center. 

• Thumb Down 2

Realistically, Zach may never get it, or be what we'd like of him. Regardless of that fact the OP is correct. Personally, I'm sure Zach would probably feel better if the fanbase at least supported him in some fashion. We aren't Philly fans, but there is something to say about making someone feel welcome. This team needs him to succeed, however even with fan support, if he doesn't lead this team to a winning record, then I'm hoping the coaching staff can do the right thing and pull him when needed. If he plays well, then he gets to keep playing. What's the downside in that if we don't make him feel unwanted here. I'm sure he already does, so how bout we support the rest of the guys on this team and support Zach also.

• Sympathy 1

1. I don't believe fan talk/forums has any effect whatsoever on the players play quality.  They should not be here mid-season, and if they are, they're the problem, not us.

2. I don't believe the newspapers/media has any effect on the players play quality.  They should reading them mid-season, and if they are, they're the problem, not us.

3. I do believe the fans at the stadium can have a MINOR effect on a players play quality.  However, that effect starts in AFTER the player starts playing poorly (and gets boo'd).  Play well, fans cheer, that's how fans work.

4. If a player is so distracted he's reading forums, reading newspapers, or focusing on the fans when he should be doing everything possible to play better, he's the problem.

Play your best, the rest will take care of itself, for better or worse based on how you play.

Personally, I never boo my team at home, ever.  Under any circumstances.  

But some fans choose to and that is their right.

• Thumb Down 2

3 hours ago, DireJet said:

If Woody gives fans a 25% discount on tickets, maybe, just maybe, Zach will get some support. But this is a two way street. Our bread needs to get buttered, too. 

I was planning to post something about how many fans are actually just consumers who want to exercise their right to complain if a product isn’t to their liking, but I think your post more eloquently made that point, in its own way.

• WTF? 1

It was mentioned that after Zach threw the awful interception Monday night, Nathaniel Hackett went up to him immediately and told him it was OK and not to worry about it.  And guess what, Zach didn’t spiral downward after that, as we’ve seen him do at times in the past.

Zach is exactly the type of player whose mental makeup would be affected by positive or negative reinforcement.  So, even if it’s just an experiment, why wouldn’t Jets fans try the Trea Turner approach on the chance (likely or unlikely) that they could actually make an impact on the success of their team?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DireJet said:

ZW is bad at football. You can say it. It’s okay. I don’t feel any sort of way about him personally.

And I don’t care about being “right” at all.  I just want the Jets to make the ******* playoffs for the first time in over a ******* decade. And I’m not sure that’s possible w-a QB like ZW under center. 

ZW is not bad at football. If he was he wouldn't have been drafted where he was taken.

Has he lived up to his potential yet.....clearly not. And this is where the crossroad is. You and fans like you, base your judgement on what you have seen up to now. There is no consideration given to a player's ability to grow and improve with time/ age/ and experience. You guys keep going back to some poor play in the past.

Well Zack is not playing in a vacuum where he isn't able to grow and improve. Maybe with some time experience and support he can turn into the type of player who can take us to the playoffs and beyond. We simply don't know yet.

The negative fanbase and anti Zack sentiment just will not give him that chance, and that's what this post was all about. Instead of booing and bringing a volcano of negativity every time Zack makes a mistake how about showing some support and some patience and give the kid the time he needs to develop? He is not the first QB to start slow. Where I Live in SFLA Tua was considered a "bust" until last year, his third year. The Dolphins were patient with him and now look at that kid. There is no reason Zack cant have the same results as Tua.

I encourage you to listen to the professionals in the building. The people who see Zack everyday. They all have sung his praises on how much he has grown. How he handled the demotion. Even in the locker room they are backing him. So why not get on board and give him your support. If he falls on his face you can be happy you were right but if he succeeds then you can have a part in helping him and sharing in his success.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DireJet said:

Anything we do has no impact on ZW’s performance on the field. Never has. Never will. He needs to play better. 

I don't agree with this. I am in no way blaming fans for his performance. But people throwing stuff at him, his Mom fighting with people (that's on her) but all of that stuff can carry over to the field.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, Jetfuel66 said:

ZW is not bad at football. If he was he wouldn't have been drafted where he was taken.

Has he lived up to his potential yet.....clearly not. And this is where the crossroad is. You and fans like you, base your judgement on what you have seen up to now. There is no consideration given to a player's ability to grow and improve with time/ age/ and experience. You guys keep going back to some poor play in the past.

Well Zack is not playing in a vacuum where he isn't able to grow and improve. Maybe with some time experience and support he can turn into the type of player who can take us to the playoffs and beyond. We simply don't know yet.

The negative fanbase and anti Zack sentiment just will not give him that chance, and that's what this post was all about. Instead of booing and bringing a volcano of negativity every time Zack makes a mistake how about showing some support and some patience and give the kid the time he needs to develop? He is not the first QB to start slow. Where I Live in SFLA Tua was considered a "bust" until last year, his third year. The Dolphins were patient with him and now look at that kid. There is no reason Zack cant have the same results as Tua.

I encourage you to listen to the professionals in the building. The people who see Zack everyday. They all have sung his praises on how much he has grown. How he handled the demotion. Even in the locker room they are backing him. So why not get on board and give him your support. If he falls on his face you can be happy you were right but if he succeeds then you can have a part in helping him and sharing in his success.

I’ll root for him on Sundays. It’s not like I won’t. I don’t believe he can get us where we want. There’s a difference. I don’t believe in him as a pro QB. 

5 hours ago, DireJet said:

Anything we do has no impact on ZW’s performance on the field. Never has. Never will. He needs to play better. 

Should be obvious, but it ain't.

Corollary: if mean stuff said on the internet rattles your QB, what chance does he have down 7 with 2 minutes to go on the road in January, with the playoffs on the line? 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

With the realization that Zach is the starter for the rest of the season, I fear the fans will turn against him the first time he throws an interception or grounds the ball.  There are significant questions about whether Zach can process the speed of the game, but there is a huge element of confidence problems that contributed to his decline last year.  He has undeniable top shelf traits, and while it is unlikely that he will hit his ceiling, there is a fair discussion of fan treatment of him for the rest of the year.

Which brings me to Trea Turner on the Phillies.  Anyone who is aware of the situation down in Philly knows that Trea Turner sucked terribly early in the season, way underperforming his free agent contract.  But a funny thing happened with the Philly fan as this was going on.  Rather than dump on him, they started cheering him on every time he came to the plate.  It helped lift him out of a career slump and he then thanked them on billboards across the region for the support.

It's fair to wonder whether the Jet fanbase might similarly realize that we have fully written off Zach but he is the unquestioned starter for the rest of the year.  Rather than continuing to bash him and boo him on gameday, what would it look like if we took the Trea Turner approach with him?  It may just work.  And it may be our only option if we are hoping to salvage a season and team with so much promise.  We just need to lift him up to effective game manager.  Anything above that is a bonus.

I like your thoughts on this, but let's face it; this site couldn't get enough of dumping all over ZW, calling the season lost, and one fan even threw a water bottle at him. All of this happened on a Monday night game were ZW came back from a deficit and even gave us a lead and we eventually won against a very strong divisional rival. Can you image how bad it is going to get when the team loses?

Once many on this site have spoken, there is no coming back. If he looks good, they will point out mistakes made last week or last year. When he makes mistakes like ALL QBs do, he is the worst QB to ever play the game. It is just the way it is. Sorry.

5 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

With the realization that Zach is the starter for the rest of the season, I fear the fans will turn against him the first time he throws an interception or grounds the ball.  There are significant questions about whether Zach can process the speed of the game, but there is a huge element of confidence problems that contributed to his decline last year.  He has undeniable top shelf traits, and while it is unlikely that he will hit his ceiling, there is a fair discussion of fan treatment of him for the rest of the year.

Which brings me to Trea Turner on the Phillies.  Anyone who is aware of the situation down in Philly knows that Trea Turner sucked terribly early in the season, way underperforming his free agent contract.  But a funny thing happened with the Philly fan as this was going on.  Rather than dump on him, they started cheering him on every time he came to the plate.  It helped lift him out of a career slump and he then thanked them on billboards across the region for the support.

It's fair to wonder whether the Jet fanbase might similarly realize that we have fully written off Zach but he is the unquestioned starter for the rest of the year.  Rather than continuing to bash him and boo him on gameday, what would it look like if we took the Trea Turner approach with him?  It may just work.  And it may be our only option if we are hoping to salvage a season and team with so much promise.  We just need to lift him up to effective game manager.  Anything above that is a bonus.

Zach is screwed his first home game is against the Patriots and Zach is essentially still a rookie mentally so Belicheck is going to eat his lunch at MetLife.  Hopefully the Jets can run the ball and build a lead early to hide it.

Trea Turner is a borderline HOF candidate already and has earned the benefit of the doubt.  He's a 20/20 machine with 3 straight .320+ seasons from 2019-2021, a career .835 OPS, two top-10 MVP finishes, and a Silver Slugger in '22.   He had an awesome track record of success that fans could draw from as evidence that a turnaround was coming.

What benefit of the doubt has Wilson earned from Jets fans?  He's had 2, maybe 3 games out of 24 in his career to date, is a slow processer, and is doing much of the same stupid sh*t he's done since he entered the league.

2 hours ago, DireJet said:

I’ll root for him on Sundays. It’s not like I won’t. I don’t believe he can get us where we want. There’s a difference. I don’t believe in him as a pro QB. 

Time will tell for sure, but I am personally happy that you are going to support him.

This is what all jet fans should be doing for the next few weeks. Give this kid a clean slate and lets see what happens.

5 hours ago, DireJet said:

You are bad at posting on the internet.  At least he is trying to do something worthwhile.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

1. I don't believe fan talk/forums has any effect whatsoever on the players play quality.  They should not be here mid-season, and if they are, they're the problem, not us.

2. I don't believe the newspapers/media has any effect on the players play quality.  They should reading them mid-season, and if they are, they're the problem, not us.

3. I do believe the fans at the stadium can have a MINOR effect on a players play quality.  However, that effect starts in AFTER the player starts playing poorly (and gets boo'd).  Play well, fans cheer, that's how fans work.

4. If a player is so distracted he's reading forums, reading newspapers, or focusing on the fans when he should be doing everything possible to play better, he's the problem.

Play your best, the rest will take care of itself, for better or worse based on how you play.

Personally, I never boo my team at home, ever.  Under any circumstances.  

But some fans choose to and that is their right.

Its obvious you have never been in a comparable situation.  You are clueless.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetfuel66 said:

Time will tell for sure, but I am personally happy that you are going to support him.

This is what all jet fans should be doing for the next few weeks. Give this kid a clean slate and lets see what happens.

I’m the biggest ZW supporter for those 3-4 hours he plays every Sunday. He’s just let me down too many times. I don’t know why anyone expects things to be different, but then again that’s why the sports gambling industry is so massive. People cling to hope and belief. 

• WTF? 1

He is a second overall pick in his third season as a pro, it is reasonable to expect him to be good regardless of whether the crowd is "nice" to him. 

Maybe it's just me, but I feel that Wilson is coddled a hell of a lot more than Darnold or Sanchez were at similar stages in their career. 

6 hours ago, DireJet said:

If Woody gives fans a 25% discount on tickets, maybe, just maybe, Zach will get some support. But this is a two way street. Our bread needs to get buttered, too. 

Because teams regularly give discount to fans when they don’t win.  Or better yet, after they do win.  
Just 25%?

8 minutes ago, maury77 said:

He is a second overall pick in his third season as a pro, it is reasonable to expect him to be good regardless of whether the crowd is "nice" to him. 

Maybe it's just me, but I feel that Wilson is coddled a hell of a lot more than Darnold or Sanchez were at similar stages in their career. 

Its just you.  NYC folls are assholes to basically everyone.  QBs are no exception.  

• Upvote 2