Philly treatment of Trea Turner

Phillyjet

11 minutes ago, DireJet said:

Discount quarterback. Discount tickets. Makes sense to me!

You’re new to sports?  
Yanks, Mets, Knicks etc ever give a discount?  
And really, if Woody gave a 25% discount those fans who boo’d at full price would still boo.  

im not a fan of booing, but we have seen this movie too many times.

he wont get booed right away, but if the offense cant do anything because of him or he throws 2 or 3 INTs then they are going to boo him.

he is on the road this week so no home fans to boo him. if he plays well he will get more of a leash the next week at home. if he doesnt the fans patience with him will be thin . cant blame people. how many years can we watch bad QB play from the same guy.

• Upvote 1

home

12 5 7 0 208 363 155 57.30 2539 12 12 76.2 27 209 6.99

road

11 4 7 0 151 283 132 53.36 1623 4 7 64.8 42 349 5.73

as you can see Zach plays much better at home than on the road. completes 4 points more 8 TDs more and his rate is 12 points higher at home.

this is proof the home crowd and there booing doesn't affect him.

• WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

4 minutes ago, doitny said:

home

12 5 7 0 208 363 155 57.30 2539 12 12 76.2 27 209 6.99

road

11 4 7 0 151 283 132 53.36 1623 4 7 64.8 42 349 5.73

as you can see Zach plays much better at home than on the road. completes 4 points more 8 TDs more and his rate is 12 points higher at home.

this is proof the home crowd and there booing doesn't affect him.

I hope you are joking.  Thats not how statistics work.  There are so many holes in that theory.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, doitny said:

so these stats dont say he is better at home? 

First of all, the games weren’t against the same teams, and the sample size is very small.  The margin of error would be huge.  Thats just a couple of many issues with what you have chosen to share.  In reality, to a statistician, these numbers prove absolutely nothing.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

With the realization that Zach is the starter for the rest of the season, I fear the fans will turn against him the first time he throws an interception or grounds the ball.  There are significant questions about whether Zach can process the speed of the game, but there is a huge element of confidence problems that contributed to his decline last year.  He has undeniable top shelf traits, and while it is unlikely that he will hit his ceiling, there is a fair discussion of fan treatment of him for the rest of the year.

Which brings me to Trea Turner on the Phillies.  Anyone who is aware of the situation down in Philly knows that Trea Turner sucked terribly early in the season, way underperforming his free agent contract.  But a funny thing happened with the Philly fan as this was going on.  Rather than dump on him, they started cheering him on every time he came to the plate.  It helped lift him out of a career slump and he then thanked them on billboards across the region for the support.

It's fair to wonder whether the Jet fanbase might similarly realize that we have fully written off Zach but he is the unquestioned starter for the rest of the year.  Rather than continuing to bash him and boo him on gameday, what would it look like if we took the Trea Turner approach with him?  It may just work.  And it may be our only option if we are hoping to salvage a season and team with so much promise.  We just need to lift him up to effective game manager.  Anything above that is a bonus.

Good post!  That's what a "fan" should do anyway, as opposed to what many supposed people who call themselves fans, but act like anything but a fan.

The players are trying it.  But the fake fans like direjet are too good for it.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/garrett-wilson-empowering-zach-wilson-because-of-the-effect-belief-has-on-people

Before the start of the regular season, Aaron Rodgers said he was comfortable talking about the Jets going to the Super Bowl because “there’s a part of that is speaking things into existence, the idea of a manifestation.”

Rodgers won’t be part of any more Jets games on the field this season, but it seems his approach has rubbed off on the team. While Rodgers’ torn Achilles and Zach Wilson’s return to the starting lineup hasn’t generated much outside confidence in the team’s chances, the messages from inside the team have universally been about their faith and belief in the quarterback’s ability to handle the job. 

On Thursday, wide receiver Garrett Wilson explained why he believes it is important for him and the rest of the team to vocalize their feelings. 

“Just because of the effect that can have on people,” Wilson said during a media availability. “Belief, people believing in you, people that you get to work with every day believing in you. Sometimes it can seem like the world is against you, but it’s never really the case. We always got our guy’s back. It can be tough playing ball, especially playing quarterback, in this part of the world. Because of that, and all the other things, we always want to make sure we got our brother’s back. If he doesn’t know that, then I’m doing my job wrong. I want to make sure I give him all the empowerment in the world, and I know all the other guys feel the same about it.”

It’s easier to express positive feelings in the wake of a win like the Jets had on Monday night and further tests will come if the team finds rougher sailing in the coming weeks, but, for now, everyone is on the same page when it comes to supporting their quarterback. 

20 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

With the realization that Zach is the starter for the rest of the season, I fear the fans will turn against him the first time he throws an interception or grounds the ball.  There are significant questions about whether Zach can process the speed of the game, but there is a huge element of confidence problems that contributed to his decline last year.  He has undeniable top shelf traits, and while it is unlikely that he will hit his ceiling, there is a fair discussion of fan treatment of him for the rest of the year.

Which brings me to Trea Turner on the Phillies.  Anyone who is aware of the situation down in Philly knows that Trea Turner sucked terribly early in the season, way underperforming his free agent contract.  But a funny thing happened with the Philly fan as this was going on.  Rather than dump on him, they started cheering him on every time he came to the plate.  It helped lift him out of a career slump and he then thanked them on billboards across the region for the support.

It's fair to wonder whether the Jet fanbase might similarly realize that we have fully written off Zach but he is the unquestioned starter for the rest of the year.  Rather than continuing to bash him and boo him on gameday, what would it look like if we took the Trea Turner approach with him?  It may just work.  And it may be our only option if we are hoping to salvage a season and team with so much promise.  We just need to lift him up to effective game manager.  Anything above that is a bonus.

Zach doesn’t have free rein as the starter. This year zach is Not free to put up multiple games of worst qb performances in NFL and not have the next man up. They are going to have to bring in another qb. Can’t go through the season with just Boyle on depth chart. Probably should bring in 2 guys. Zach will get 2 games max to show what he can do. But Hackett was not matched for Zach. So we don’t know if that is going to work out. The other Wilson in Denver did not mesh with hackett’s O. Rams were quick to elevate Rypien from practice squad, because Hackett really wanted him to take over. Really rooting for Zach, but no one should be shocked if he isn’t the starter in a few weeks.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Butterfield said:

Its obvious you have never been in a comparable situation.  You are clueless.  

No, I freely admit I have never been an NFL player.

Have you?  If so, stop hiding behind a fake name, and educate us how real NFL players obsess over what is said on JN and in their local papers.  

I'm sure we'd all be all ears for that true-life NFL player perspective.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

No, I freely admit I have never been an NFL player.

Have you?  If so, stop hiding behind a fake name, and educate us how real NFL players obsess over what is said on JN and in their local papers.  

I'm sure we'd all be all ears for that true-life NFL player perspective.

You don’t have to be an NFL football player to have a publically facing job with constant public criticism.  

Just now, Butterfield said:

You don’t have to be an NFL football player to have a publically facing job with constant public criticism.  

OK, so tell us all about your "publicly facing job", and how you obsess over internet forums that cover your job/employer, and how you read all the media talking about how you do your job.

I mean you're the one who brought up personal experience as an issue, so tell us your own.

OK, so tell us all about your "publicly facing job", and how you obsess over internet forums that cover your job/employer, and how you read all the media talking about how you do your job.

I mean you're the one who brought up personal experience as an issue, so tell us your own.

How about no?  I don’t take demands well. As a publically facing employee. You don’t need to read forums, people bring that stuff to you.  EVERY MINUTE OF THE DAY.  

2 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

How about no?

Then let me quote you:

"Its obvious you have never been in a comparable situation.  You are clueless."  

2 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

As a publically facing employee. You don’t need to read forums, people bring that stuff to you.  EVERY MINUTE OF THE DAY.  

Sure they do big talker. I'm sure that's you, really.

• Haha 1

Then let me quote you:

"Its obvious you have never been in a comparable situation.  You are clueless."  

Sure they do big talker. I'm sure that's you, really.

Its ok that you don’t have comparable experience.  But its another thing to be completely wrong in your analysis due to that inexperience.