Jets sign Kicker

GandWFan

So who gets cut from the 53 to carry this kicker?

I also haven’t seen anything about Brandin Echols being activated from the suspended list. I’m guessing with Rodgers going on IR, Echols automatically just took his place on the 53, so they didn’t need to cut anyone? 

Surprisingly few roster moves this week — I guess they’re just keeping Boyle on the practice squad and he’ll be the one from the PS they elevate on game day? My understanding is they can only do that a few times a year though — it seems like the backup QB will need to go onto the 53 at some point.

5 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

I also haven’t seen anything about Brandin Echols being activated from the suspended list. I’m guessing with Rodgers going on IR, Echols automatically just took his place on the 53, so they didn’t need to cut anyone? 

Surprisingly few roster moves this week — I guess they’re just keeping Boyle on the practice squad and he’ll be the one from the PS they elevate on game day? My understanding is they can only do that a few times a year though — it seems like the backup QB will need to go onto the 53 at some point.

Echols did take the Rodgers roster spot.

I doubt this kicker gets signed to the 53 - he will go onto the Practice Squad and be a gameday elevation tomorrow (along with Boyle as the backup QB).

They will probably add a QB to the 53 next week, either Boyle or a new addition, and someone will have to be cut or IRed to make room at that point.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I doubt this kicker gets signed to the 53 - he will go onto the Practice Squad and be a gameday elevation tomorrow (along with Boyle as the backup QB).

They will probably add a QB to the 53 next week, either Boyle or a new addition, and someone will have to be cut or IRed to make room at that point.

👍

Just now, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

He only kicked in 3 games last year. 3/5. Not feeling super confident. 

He's a roster fringe guy, no doubt.

Jets apparently called more proven kickers, but none of them wanted to sign as a 1-week rental, so JD had to shop in the budget aisle for a replacement.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Wtf.  

We FINALLY have a reliable kicker and he gets hurt.

The most injury proof position in sports and ours goes down.  

I understand why you would say that, but not true.  Injuries happen every year to multiple kickers. They work to get extremely flexible and on core strength to avoid injury.

That repetitive motion puts a lot of stress on the body;  hip flexors, groin, hamstrings, back, etc. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Question for you, Mr Coops, since you seem to know about the intricacies of the roster rules …

I think there are two different types of IR (I think they changed to that a few years ago) — one where you are designated to potentially return, one where the player is out for the season. Do we know what type of IR the Jets put Rodgers on? And if a player is on the designated to return IR, is there a deadline for when they can return, and/or other roster implications? The idea of him coming back this year seems highly unrealistic to me, but after what he said yesterday, one has to wonder if it would even be a possibility. And I also wouldn’t want the Jets to have to negatively impact their roster in other ways in order to hold on that very remote possibility.

2 hours ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Irv Charles was cut

1 hour ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Question for you, Mr Coops, since you seem to know about the intricacies of the roster rules …

I think there are two different types of IR (I think they changed to that a few years ago) — one where you are designated to potentially return, one where the player is out for the season. Do we know what type of IR the Jets put Rodgers on? And if a player is on the designated to return IR, is there a deadline for when they can return, and/or other roster implications? The idea of him coming back this year seems highly unrealistic to me, but after what he said yesterday, one has to wonder if it would even be a possibility. And I also wouldn’t want the Jets to have to negatively impact their roster in other ways in order to hold on that very remote possibility.

Only guys placed on IR before final roster cuts are automatically out for the year.

Anyone placed on IR after the initial 53-man roster is set is potentially eligible for return when healthy - so that will include Rodgers.

Once placed on IR, a player has to sit out at least 4 games before being eligible to return.

But you can basically leave a guy on IR as long as you need to. Once healthy, you designate him to return and he can start to practice. This opens a 3-week window, by the end of which you have to either activate him, or else rule him out for the year.

So, basically, Rodgers could return this season if he gets healthy enough to play - but it's definitely a real longshot that it happens.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Only guys placed on IR before final roster cuts are automatically out for the year.

Anyone placed on IR after the initial 53-man roster is set is potentially eligible for return when healthy - so that will include Rodgers.

Once placed on IR, a player has to sit out at least 4 games before being eligible to return.

But you can basically leave a guy on IR as long as you need to. Once healthy, you designate him to return and he can start to practice. This opens a 3-week window, by the end of which you have to either activate him, or else rule him out for the year.

So, basically, Rodgers could return this season if he gets healthy enough to play - but it's definitely a real longshot that it happens.

Cool. Thanks for explaining all that, Mr Coops. Good to know.

• Upvote 1