Mike LaFleur Sabotaging Rams Offense

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Jets fans who don’t want to admit they were wrong in their assessment of him will claim he’s “getting coffee” but McVay wanted him and signed him right away. He’ll be a head coach in this league.

Our guy was publicly called the worst coach in recent memory by a HoFer and was hired because Aaron liked him… Which isn’t working out great. 

He seemed like a good OC, when he didn't have Zach Wilson as QB. His play calling could get a bit wacky but he was a young coach and the scheme seemed good. 

It defies belief that, at the end of last season, we decided to get rid of him and Mike White and keep Wilson, as if they were the problem.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Just like he did with the Jets.

So glad we fired that POS.

Had to be done to give ZW and Elijah Moore a chance to flourish.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/story/2023-09-05/rams-offensive-coordinator-matt-lafleur-sean-mcvay

He also has a 14 year vet at QB... Not a rookie... Not sure why you feel you need to compare... 

If Lafleur had a vet qb here he would still be here... But he didn't cater to his audience when they drafted Zach to help him learn. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Feel no sympathy for those guys if they want to spend their time propping up the worst QB draft pick since Jamarcus Russell

I'm not defending ZW's career (heck, I was critical of him when many on here were defending him during last year's winning streak) but he was NOT the problem in yesterday's loss.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Pepster said:

He seemed like a good OC, when he didn't have Zach Wilson as QB. His play calling could get a bit wacky but he was a young coach and the scheme seemed good. 

It defies belief that, at the end of last season, we decided to get rid of him and Mike White and keep Wilson, as if they were the problem.  

It’s because we didn’t send Zach enough positive tweets and cheer for him hard enough. 

• Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm not defending ZW's career (heck, I was critical of him when many on here were defending him during last year's winning streak) but he was NOT the problem in yesterday's loss.

Counterpoint: he was 99% of the problem in yesterday’s loss. We just think he played better because of the catch and run from Garrett Wilson.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Counterpoint: he was 99% of the problem in yesterday’s loss. We just think he played better because of the catch and run from Garrett Wilson.

This is just ridiculous.  Our defense got absolutely shredded yesterday.  Yes, they were on the field a lot and got tired but it's not like the shredding started when they wore down.  Dak completed his first 10 or so passes yesterday.  The Cowboys drove right down the field on this defense when it was completely rested.

Our OL was atrocious too.  At least we can say "they were awful against a great defense" but they were still atrocious.  Btw, ZW likely would've thrown a 2nd TD to GW had our OL not allowed a defender to hit ZW's arm on the throw.

Our CS was a complete disaster too.  Zach had the most carries?! 4 rushes for Breece?!  No extra TEs in protection?!  No trick plays to keep Dallas' defense a little bit off-balance?!  Fwiw, even Breece and GW dropped passes yesterday.  

image.png.84b7be0ccc08f58347725da350278269.png

I know everyone will point to ZW's 3 INTs, but they all came when we were down by 3 scores in the 4th quarter.  That's when a QB is supposed to force the ball.  People just reflexively blame everything on ZW.  Again, I'm not defending his career or saying that he's the solution.  But he was "serviceable" yesterday, which is all anyone would've asked of him going into that game.  The consensus was that if we were going to have any chance to win, it would be by playing great defense and having a good running game.  Our defense was AWFUL (especially at the beginning of the game when they were rested) and our CS abandoned the running game.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Always thought lafluer was talented and was the scape goat to last years offensive collapse. He wasn't the main problem. Zach has been historically bad. No QB = Bad offense. The offense was a mess. With that being said, there is more to being an OC than just calling the plays. Its understanding what you have and playing to your teams strengths. His head coach is one of the best offensive minds in football and he has a borderline HOF QB under center. He is in a much better position with the rams to grow and get better. Unfortunately for him and the jets, the situation here, especially last year, was a tough one that would have been very difficult for even the best OC's to navigate through. We have talent on the offense, but not enough of it. Not much has changed from this year to last with rodgers now on the side lines. Wish him nothing but the best and am glad to see he got out of this situation. He'll likely get a shot at a HCing gig in 3-4-5 years. 

He wasn’t the problem. I really can’t understand how this is a debate. The problem is that ZW is a bust, MW sparked the team and it was a really bad look for the staff, so in order to manage optics they dumped MLF and let MW walk away… then made a grandiose exposition out of acquiring Rodgers and “resetting” Zach.

Reset means to start something over in order to get it back to working properly. Zach was never working properly. It has always been a charade to cover their asses.

Like usual, Jets leadership tactics are entirely driven by low-performance self-preservation.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The reasonable hope of a Jet win yesterday was ZW playing "serviceable" and the defense playing great.  ZW did his part.  The defense, the OL and the CS did not do theirs.

Splitting hairs. They all sucked. Zach was not a silver lining. Look around the league… crappy QBs drop 300 yard games like I drop my morning BM.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The same argument used to denigrate Eric Bieniemy.

Of note, the Commanders O, led by a 5th round QB, are currently 7th in the NFL in scoring.

I’m sorry I think it’s foolish to give any OC credit for the offense if the HC is an offensive minded coach. Plus It’s not like the Rams had an offensive problem before lafuer. And the commanders offense is good because they have good weapons and a competent QB

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1