Just watched every pass by Zach against Dallas

More Cowbell

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The guy is just so inconsistent. He makes a few good throws, uses his legs to make some positive plays, but he is still running backwards and still staring down recievers. This is the third season for him. He shouldn't  be doing these things anymore. He has to step up in the pocket, not go backwards and no QB stares down a reciever. That is a sure way to get picked. 

He's in a new O system installed for ARod that is supposedly very complex.  Even dumbing it down, as I'm sure they have, it might be tough to learn and such in only a few months and 2 real games. But I'd agree that the guy just can't do essential stuff like read the D well or look guys off.

And 2 of his 3 interceptions were awful.  One was a very bad throw (overthrow) and the other he threw straight at an underneath guy in coverage. We've seen those types of mistakes before.

• Upvote 2

You don't get participation trophies or a pat on the back in the NFL for making a few good plays every game.  A QB needs to be consistent and make good decisions the majority of the time or else......you look like Zack Wilson, and I'm no rocket scientist, but I'm pretty sure you cant win d1ck in the NFL with Zack Wilson as your QB1.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Flashlite80 said:

It is all relative,  Zach still has some things to work on.  It is unfair to not recognize that he is better in many areas.  His footwork is tons better.  His reads are better, though he has to be faster.  He is lite years better at the short and easy passes.

I think Zach had a pretty good first half.  With no running attack and a defense that put him in a hole before he took the field, Zach kept us in the game in the first half.  The o-line was worthless and he was under constant pressure but he hung in there, stepping up instead of circling back.

That touchdown to Wilson was a nice ball, delivered on time and in stride.  The last drive before the half, he engineered a nice drive, including a couple of nice runs.  He put up 10 points with no mistakes with zero help from the running game or defense that were supposed to carry the load.  

All that improvement and we still got the typical ZW stat line. Completed less than 50% of his passes and threw 3 interceptions. Dude is trash

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

5 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

He's in a new O system installed for ARod that is supposedly very complex.  Even dumbing it down, as I'm sure they have, it might be tough to learn and such in only a few months and 2 real games. But I'd agree that the guy just can't do essential stuff like read the D well or look guys off.

And 2 of his 3 interceptions were awful.  One was a very bad throw (overthrow) and the other he threw straight at an underneath guy in coverage. We've seen those types of mistakes before.

I agree with your points but those mistakes were under constant pressure and when he was forced to do more than we expected because we were so far behind.  His first half was pretty solid.  He was solely responsible for 10 points.  That is more than enough to win, when the running game and defense perform.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

I agree with your points but those mistakes were under constant pressure and when he was forced to do more than we expected because we were so far behind.  His first half was pretty solid.  He was solely responsible for 10 points.  That is more than enough to win, when the running game and defense perform.

Garrett Wilson ran 55 of the 65 yards on his TD catch. You sure he was solely responsible for that? 

• Haha 1

https://football.pitcherlist.com/what-we-saw-week-2-2023/?series_post=15391

Zach Wilson: 12/27, 170 Yards, TD, 3 INT | 5 Carries, 36 Yards

Looking at Zach Wilson’s game against the Cowboys through the lens of box score, counting stats would leave you with the impression that Wilson’s performance was abysmal; a leading cause of the Jets’ blowout loss. However, I actually came away from this game with a more positive impression of Wilson than I had before the game started. Granted, there were not many highlight plays to speak of for Wilson and the Jets’ offense but there were a decent amount of positives to take away about the Jets’ former #2 overall pick.

Though he completed less than 50% of his passes on the day, Wilson looked pretty accurate for the most part, fitting some nice throws into tight windows when he wasn’t facing immediate pressure when throwing the ball. Unfortunately for the Jets, these occurrences were few and far between as the Cowboys’ front seven were living in the Jets’ backfield all game long. It felt like Wilson was pressured on over half of all his dropbacks, and numerous running plays were blown up before they reached the line of scrimmage. Wilson’s three interceptions look awful on the box score but it wasn’t until the game was well out of hand in the fourth quarter where Wilson really started to turn it loose, leading to two of his turnovers. Though the game was a disaster for the Jets offense, Wilson did flash here and there, showing off his elite arm talent and playmaking ability using his legs.

Notes
  • Flashes great pocket presence + understanding of when to leave pocket and make a play using his legs.
  • Wilson unleashed an absolutely incredible throw (7:32, 4Q) to Allen Lazard which was ruled incomplete but is a great example of the elite arm talent Wilson possesses.
  • Showed some decisiveness in the hurry-up offense / two-minute drill, making plays with legs and quick decisions with the ball.
  • Made a great throw to Garrett Wilson for the Jets’ lone TD, but the play could have easily been stopped after the catch. 1/3 of Wilson’s pass yards came on this play, which is to say that his day could have been even worse if not for a defensive lapse in the secondary allowing Wilson to score.
  • Much improved leadership + body language when things aren’t going according to plan. Led by example, even when he was faced with pressure on nearly every play.

Missed Opportunities

2nd & 1 (2:00, 1Q) Zach Wilson rolls out and has a wide open Garrett Wilson for a 1st down but his throw is slightly off, and the possession ends in a punt as they fail to pick up that yard and first down. Not the easiest throw on the field but with such minimal pressure affecting the play, Wilson is expected to make that throw.
  • On a Wilson INT in the fourth quarter, Wilson stared down his receiver the whole play, allowing the safety to commit to helping over the top and securing the interception. Had Wilson looked the safety off for even a second, the deep pass could have been a long completion or even a touchdown to Garrett Wilson.
  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

12 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

I agree not all is bad with him. He continues to look much better than he was in the pocket last year.  And, yes, the pass rush was ferocious. The OL is awful so far. I don't care if the D stacks 11 guys on the line.  Open up a damn hole here and there to get some semblance of a rushing game going, and at least slow down edge rushers...

Still those two INT's were ominously similar to what we saw last year. On the rollout he'd already avoided the pressure and had time to run or throw the ball away. He threw it right straight at an underneath defender. 

28 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The guy is just so inconsistent. He makes a few good throws, uses his legs to make some positive plays, but he is still running backwards and still staring down recievers. This is the third season for him. He shouldn't  be doing these things anymore. He has to step up in the pocket, not go backwards and no QB stares down a reciever. That is a sure way to get picked. 

Dallas was only able to beat Jets pass blockers 70% of the time so it's odd that Wilson was running around so much.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Time to take the training wheels off already. Watching NFL highlights last night and the Washington QB and other young guys were chucking the football everywhere. Let Zach take shots and open up the offense. Trial by fire. If he still can't handle playing like that then he's done. These offensive game plans aren't doing the Jets any favors. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

It is all relative,  Zach still has some things to work on.  It is unfair to not recognize that he is better in many areas.  His footwork is tons better.  His reads are better, though he has to be faster.  He is lite years better at the short and easy passes.

I think Zach had a pretty good first half.  With no running attack and a defense that put him in a hole before he took the field, Zach kept us in the game in the first half.  The o-line was worthless and he was under constant pressure but he hung in there, stepping up instead of circling back.

That touchdown to Wilson was a nice ball, delivered on time and in stride.  The last drive before the half, he engineered a nice drive, including a couple of nice runs.  He put up 10 points with no mistakes with zero help from the running game or defense that were supposed to carry the load.  

Didn’t  watch the game but you are the first person to credit Zach for the offensive output the Jets had. 

24 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

Dude, you are delusional. We are playing KC soon. If we only score 10, that is a lose.

7 minutes ago, SCRUNO said:

Time to take the training wheels off already. Watching NFL highlights last night and the Washington QB and other young guys were chucking the football everywhere. Let Zach take shots and open up the offense. Trial by fire. If he still can't handle playing like that then he's done. These offensive game plans aren't doing the Jets any favors. 

Did you watch the game yesterday? Zach throws INTs when he tries to play that way. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

43 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It’s sad you have point out the very obvious Here. I knew we didn’t have a shot with Zach. Even if the OL was decent. I don’t bet football Ever, but I took the layup and won 200. And I am not happy about it..

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Yes, and nobody here expects him to be but listening to fans like yourself cherry pick the one really good pass he made which btw was only a TD because Hooker totally blew his coverage is a bit much right now

I can't help it if people want to be all sour grapes about the loss to the point where it's affecting their ability to see reality.

I'm NOT defending ZW's career but I AM, however, defending his play in yesterday's game.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

https://football.pitcherlist.com/what-we-saw-week-2-2023/?series_post=15391

Zach Wilson: 12/27, 170 Yards, TD, 3 INT | 5 Carries, 36 Yards

Looking at Zach Wilson’s game against the Cowboys through the lens of box score, counting stats would leave you with the impression that Wilson’s performance was abysmal; a leading cause of the Jets’ blowout loss. However, I actually came away from this game with a more positive impression of Wilson than I had before the game started. Granted, there were not many highlight plays to speak of for Wilson and the Jets’ offense but there were a decent amount of positives to take away about the Jets’ former #2 overall pick.

Though he completed less than 50% of his passes on the day, Wilson looked pretty accurate for the most part, fitting some nice throws into tight windows when he wasn’t facing immediate pressure when throwing the ball. Unfortunately for the Jets, these occurrences were few and far between as the Cowboys’ front seven were living in the Jets’ backfield all game long. It felt like Wilson was pressured on over half of all his dropbacks, and numerous running plays were blown up before they reached the line of scrimmage. Wilson’s three interceptions look awful on the box score but it wasn’t until the game was well out of hand in the fourth quarter where Wilson really started to turn it loose, leading to two of his turnovers. Though the game was a disaster for the Jets offense, Wilson did flash here and there, showing off his elite arm talent and playmaking ability using his legs.

Notes
  • Flashes great pocket presence + understanding of when to leave pocket and make a play using his legs.
  • Wilson unleashed an absolutely incredible throw (7:32, 4Q) to Allen Lazard which was ruled incomplete but is a great example of the elite arm talent Wilson possesses.
  • Showed some decisiveness in the hurry-up offense / two-minute drill, making plays with legs and quick decisions with the ball.
  • Made a great throw to Garrett Wilson for the Jets’ lone TD, but the play could have easily been stopped after the catch. 1/3 of Wilson’s pass yards came on this play, which is to say that his day could have been even worse if not for a defensive lapse in the secondary allowing Wilson to score.
  • Much improved leadership + body language when things aren’t going according to plan. Led by example, even when he was faced with pressure on nearly every play.

Missed Opportunities

2nd & 1 (2:00, 1Q) Zach Wilson rolls out and has a wide open Garrett Wilson for a 1st down but his throw is slightly off, and the possession ends in a punt as they fail to pick up that yard and first down. Not the easiest throw on the field but with such minimal pressure affecting the play, Wilson is expected to make that throw.
  • On a Wilson INT in the fourth quarter, Wilson stared down his receiver the whole play, allowing the safety to commit to helping over the top and securing the interception. Had Wilson looked the safety off for even a second, the deep pass could have been a long completion or even a touchdown to Garrett Wilson.

This is a participation trophy. 

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I can't help it if people want to be all sour grapes about the loss to the point where it's affecting their ability to see reality.

I'm NOT defending ZW's career but I AM, however, defending his play in yesterday's game.

His play wasn’t good. The Jets scored 10 points. I wish I could say he played well but he didn’t. 2 of his picks were of the OMG what a bad throw variety. How do you defend that. If Zach could complete a few passes in a row, maybe the running game gets going. He was a problem the last two years and he is a problem now. He currently leads the league in picks. Second worst in completion %. Near the bottom in passing yards a game but you are defending his play. 

• Thumb Down 1