When Will the Jets Sign Another QB?

Warfish

Three Questions:

1. For the remaining 15 games, WILL the Jets sign another QB?

2. And if so, WHEN will they sign that QB?  Will it require a "trigger", like an injury, or 5 INT game or similar?

3. And finally, if they sign a QB, will it be to be a #3 behind Zach and Boyle, or as a possible/likely replacement for Zach as starter?

Get your predictions/beliefs in now...

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

my guess is they're trying to gauge where Zach is at before making a decision on signing a backup or trying to make a move for a starter. It may take a few games for them to feel like they have a strong idea how he's doing in this offense from week to week in practice, meetings, games and dealing with highs and lows. 

he absolutely showed improvement yesterday, but even w/that he still sucks. It's tough climbing out of the bottom of the suck pit.

they may be monitoring some potential trade situations before the deadline like Cousins where we need other teams to struggle to be in tank mode.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

. For the remaining 15 games, WILL the Jets sign another QB?

If they don't they are even worse than I thought. Can't make the same mistake 3 times in a row.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And if so, WHEN will they sign that QB?  Will it require a "trigger", like an injury, or 5 INT game or similar?

Hopefully tomorrow. My gut says at the earliest after the Patriots game, with the explaination that "Boyle wasn't satisfactory in practice" or some bullcrap like that.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And finally, if they sign a QB, will it be to be a #3 behind Zach and Boyle, or as a possible/likely replacement for Zach as starter?

It will not be a replacement for Zach. This CS has too much faith in that kid. It will be some other loser who is only there for insurance.

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

my guess is they're trying to gauge where Zach is

How many games does it take to evaluate a player? This is worst than the Pentagon's Bradley program:

$30 billion remains a staggering sum to invest in projects that never amounted to more than a handful of prototypes.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bronx said:

How many games does it take to evaluate a player? This is worst than the Pentagon's Bradley program:

$30 billion remains a staggering sum to invest in projects that never amounted to more than a handful of prototypes.

He's working in a new offense with a new OC after an offseason of Aaron Rodgers tutelage. I think they're evaluating what they hope to be the "new" Zach as opposed to his entire career.

I doubt it works out but there are some slivers of hope based on him doing some things better. 

1. Yes, they would be crazy not to. 

2. Jets cannot afford to wait too long.  Plus the Meadowlands crowd will be a little less patient these days

My guess is they are waiting until after NE to make a decision.  NE is key because this is the type of divisional team you need to beat.  A baseline for any NY Jets QB is to not go into the fetal position against BB

3. Firable offense if it’s not a quality replacement for Zach.  I envision a trade, they’ll give up more if Zach sh*ts the bed against NE but regardless they cannot put all their eggs in the Zach bucket.

We have Zach Wilson and Tim Boyle as our QB’s. Once Rodgers got hurt we should’ve signed a QB (Wentz) last week. This is ridiculous. I don’t care about how Wilson feels about the team bringing in another vet. He’s too shaky to continue with those two on the roster. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

They're not gonna trade their 1st.  Just isn't going to happen.  No one decent will be available until at least week 6 or 7 I'd think.  Maybe they bring in a Boyle upgrade but that's all I can see happening at the moment.  They're committed to giving Zach the keys for a bit.  

We all knew this was going to be a tough stretch of football.  Not sure why they would panic already, at least at the QB position.  I'd be more tempted to bring in a Brown replacement, tbh.  In reality though if Zach gets this team to 3-3 at the bye, he did his job.  Gotta beat New England, and then obviously Denver is the next one you have to have.  Otherwise we're looking to upset a team like KC(who I do think we can beat, actually) or Philly(probably the hardest game we will have IMO).  It's certainly possible though.  But yeah, sh*t has to improve in all areas.  Yesterday was a wake up call for the entire roster. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Warfish said:

Really?  Care to elaborate on that belief?

I don't think their defense is anything special?  The ******* Lions beat them in their own building, and the Jags nearly beat them as well.  They've looked pretty "meh" to start the year.  I'm not here guaranteeing or even predicting a win, but to act like it's impossible?  It's like saying "you think we can beat the Bills?  Care to elaborate?"  We did.  Dallas was a bad matchup for us...everyone knew it.  KC is a great team, but I think we match up better against them than the Cowboys if I'm being honest.  

I'm starting to think that Woody has told Douglas and Saleh that their jobs' are safe and to scratch this year and get ready for Rodgers' return next year.

They seem to be operating very casually and comfortable with giving Zach the year to sink or swim. That's not necessarily good for the rest of the roster or team morale....but these are the Gotham City Football Club New York Jets we are talking about.

8 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

It should have happened last week. I'm guessing one will be in the building next Monday or Tuesday. 

Triggered by another terrible game from ZW against the Patriots. Fans will be pissed. 

The Jets will at first say it is to be the backup to ZW but in reality that guy will eventually take over and play QB at some point when they feel he has enough of an understanding of the playbook. 

if we dont get one this week if wont happen next week with a Thursday night game. they will say its too short a week. or thats what i was told when i started a thread just days ago wondering why we didnt have a 3rd QB for the Dallas game.

20 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I'm starting to think that Woody has told Douglas and Saleh that their jobs' are safe and to scratch this year and get ready for Rodgers' return next year.

They seem to be operating very casually and comfortable with giving Zach the year to sink or swim. That's not necessarily good for the rest of the roster or team morale....but these are the Gotham City Football Club New York Jets we are talking about.

if there is no QB here by tomorrow then you might be right

There is no major upgrade in the QB market that I've heard of unless the rumors about Cousins are true and in an L yesterday he threw for 4 Tds with no picks. So why would they want to trade him for like a 3rd round pick. So we're stuck with Zach like most of us I don't want to give up on a 3rd season in a row to develop a young Qb. One Qb who is out there with some talent and experience but not an improvement is Matt Barkley. 

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

Three Questions:

1. For the remaining 15 games, WILL the Jets sign another QB?

2. And if so, WHEN will they sign that QB?  Will it require a "trigger", like an injury, or 5 INT game or similar?

3. And finally, if they sign a QB, will it be to be a #3 behind Zach and Boyle, or as a possible/likely replacement for Zach as starter?

Get your predictions/beliefs in now...

Yes they will sign another QB... 

They are going to use the NE game to determine how much they are going to give up... 

Realistically no new QB brought in is going to start until after the bye week without injury. 

If Zach plays well at NE they will probably sign a FA off the street. 

If Zach sh*ts the bed they will probably give up draft capital and try to trade for a replacement to take over for Zach after the bye... 

• Upvote 1