Poll for the OG's --- Who were the most defended & most disparaged Jets QBs in JetNation History?

Who was the most defended Jets QB in JetNation History?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the most defended Jets QB in JetNation History?

• Chad Pennington
    • Brett Favre
    • Mark Sanchez
    • Geno Smith
    • Ryan Fitzpatrick
    • Sam Darnold
    • Zach Wilson
  2. 2. Who was the most disparaged Jets QB in JetNation history?

this is a very interesting question

it's tempting to vote for Zach for both 

but really Chadwick people loved. Loved, loved, loved. Like he's the guy who you want dating your daughter. Even though he had no discernable physical traits for the position. Like honestly was just a terrible athlete with feet like clown shoes.

But he was smart and genuine and nice

as for most disparaged this is a tough one - I'm going to go with Sanchito because the butt fumble was broadcast nationally on ESPN like every day for 10 years (it felt like) 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

but really Chadwick people loved. Loved, loved, loved. Like he's the guy who you want dating your daughter. Even though he had no discernable physical traits for the position. Like honestly was just a terrible athlete with feet like clown shoes.

as for most disparaged this is a tough one - I'm going to go with Sanchito because the butt fumble was broadcast nationally on ESPN like every day for 10 years (it felt like) 

Physical limitations notwithstanding, Pennington provided a sense of calm and comfort when he dropped back -- like he was going to protect the ball and not drill a linebacker in the middle of his jersey -- that I don't think we've had since he left.  Sad, but true.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, sec143dmf said:

Pennington is the best QB we have had in quite some time now.  Anyone who says otherwise is just kidding them selves.

That isn't saying very much.  Plus Pennington had a low ceiling.  He couldn't handle the better teams.  That year he had with the Dolphins was the perfect example.  IIRC, he was CPOY but then got pasted in the playoffs by the Ravens.

1 minute ago, nj meadowlands said:

Physical limitations notwithstanding, Pennington provided a sense of calm and comfort when he dropped back -- like he was going to protect the ball and not drill a linebacker in the middle of his jersey -- that I don't think we've had since he left.  Sad, but true.

this is true

I also remember how many years he ended on IR. 

Chad Pennington understood how to make reads he was throwing early because of his bad arm - really there's alot to like there from an inspiration standpoint. 

he also was slow in the pocket, brittle and had a famously noodle arm even before he got hurt. This guy if we are being honest barely had the attributes to play division 1 football. He shows up at a school with Randy Moss and parlays that into a career 

very well defended he's even getting defending to this day but he was a garbage athlete. Zach Wilson is like Cam Newton compared to Chad Pennington 

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That isn't saying very much.  Plus Pennington had a low ceiling.  He couldn't handle the better teams.  That year he had with the Dolphins was the perfect example.  IIRC, he was CPOY but then got pasted in the playoffs by the Ravens.

And he won the AFC East.  Something we haven't done in how many years now?

Pennington by a long mile because it was still new to us all to be able to air our feelings on the internet with other Jets fans. No one knew what to expect; there were no patterns, and there were more posters with ties to Montana. It was all pre-brady and pre-passing explosion, and he had the immediate success that would trigger positive feelings that no other QB has generated. It was the wild wild west in Jets internet land, and old noodle arm was front and center.

I don't know where Zach ranks, but for me he has to be the most frustrating. There was nothing special about him going into the draft, it was all PR. I've detailed posts about him in the draft forums and it's all playing out in real time. On top of that, he's getting what Darnold/Hack/Geno/any other drafted QB other than Sanchez never had: gets to play with playoff/SB caliber rosters on multiple good coaching staffs; yet he's had little to no success at all in his entire NFL career. The difference between Sanchez and Zach is that Sanchez rode along to two afc championship games. Zach can't complete a pass 8 yards down the field and is not even trusted to throw the ball. Yet there are still threads about him right now saying he played ok yesterday and shouldn't be blamed for yesterday's loss.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, greenwichjetfan said:

I don't know where Zach ranks, but for me he has to be the most frustrating. There was nothing special about him going into the draft, it was all PR

He has a terrific arm, is a very good scrambler and he showed the potential to make "off-schedule" plays with throws at weird arm angles (like Mahomes).  Plus you're forgetting this...

ZWProDayThrow.gif.a3471568cbb56260dc595d15e01fa42f.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Pennington by a long mile because it was still new to us all to be able to air our feelings on the internet with other Jets fans. No one knew what to expect; there were no patterns, and there were more posters with ties to Montana. It was all pre-brady and pre-passing explosion, and he had the immediate success that would trigger positive feelings that no other QB has generated. It was the wild wild west in Jets internet land, and old noodle arm was front and center.

I don't know where Zach ranks, but for me he has to be the most frustrating. There was nothing special about him going into the draft, it was all PR. I've detailed posts about him in the draft forums and it's all playing out in real time. On top of that, he's getting what Darnold/Hack/Geno/any other drafted QB other than Sanchez never had: gets to play with playoff/SB caliber rosters on multiple good coaching staffs. The difference between Sanchez and Zach is that Sanchez rode along to two afc championship games. Zach can't complete a pass 8 yards down the field and is not even trusted to throw the ball. Yet there are still threads about him right now saying he played ok yesterday and shouldn't be blamed for yesterday's loss.

Great summation

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He has a terrific arm, is a very good scrambler and he showed the potential to make "off-schedule" plays with throws at weird arm angles (like Mahomes).  Plus you're forgetting this...

ZWProDayThrow.gif.a3471568cbb56260dc595d15e01fa42f.gif

I'm not replaying this for your amusement. Search the JN draft forum - me and a few others detailed the **** out of why Zach shouldn't be considered anything more than a mid-round project. You yourself have said multiple times in the other thread just today that Zach shouldn't be compared to his own draft status which is still a mind **** I haven't gotten over. 

• Upvote 1

Nobody was more defended than Chad Pennington. Rightfully so and I miss him.

To me - Zach was never particularly liked by the fanbase and his play dug his grave VERY quickly. After missing on a myriad of QBs the last decade, I think it's safe to say that everybody had enough of rookie QBs by the time Zach entered the picture. He had very little rope to start and has done nothing but lace himself up since we picked him.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I'm not replaying this for your amusement. Search the JN draft forum - me and a few others detailed the **** out of why Zach shouldn't be considered anything more than a mid-round project.

I was responding to you saying "There was nothing special about him going into the draft, it was all PR".  Meanwhile, teams wanted to trade up to get him.  There were analysts who said he was the next Mahomes.  The things I pointed out are part of why they were saying that stuff.

You yourself have said multiple times in the other thread just today that Zach shouldn't be compared to his own draft status which is still a mind **** I haven't gotten over. 

I basically said that we have to look at ZW for what he is now, rather than what we hoped he'd be when he was drafted.  I stand by that statement.

Defended: Zach

Disparaged: Geno

Though it’s a bit of a technicality since I was posting at JI for the Pennington years.  Those debates were heated but I’ve never seen a player defended more who deserves it less than Zach.  It’s honestly astonishing because I’ve also never seen a player this bad get this long of a leash so the amount of evidence is as tall as the Empire State Building but still people bend over backwards to excuse his poor play.  At least Darnold showed something at times to warrant the defense.  And while Sanchez was obviously terrible the success of the team and his playoff performances kept him a little more protected.  

• Upvote 1

The Pennington Wars were mostly a very funny JI bit right before the second diaspora over to this place. IIRC, it was @CTM, @Pac, @ZachEY and those guys who went in on it. 

The guy who was most disparaged on here was probably Geno, but that was a brief thing. The Zach stuff will likewise be brief because those who want to defend him are already in retreat. Overall, I’d guess the guy who was the most debated was Sanchez, but I don’t think there was ever a huge pro-Sanchez group.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

This team with Chad Pennington at quarterback is a playoff team... and then a disaster against the first playoff team with a good defense. 

But I sure as sh*t wish Chadsworth was our quarterback today.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

discernable physical traits for the position. Like honestly was just a terrible athlete with feet like clown shoes.

I hated Chad but to respond to these 3 points:

1. Traits- not really true. He actually had a reasonably live arm until injuries. Post injury though he was a noodle arm

2. He was smart but always came across to me as an insincere dildo

3. Sanchez surprises me in most disparaged -I think the vast majority liked him even after the butt fumble.

I think geno was the most disparaged especially after he got his jaw broken over something really stupid.  And his affect snow balled in 2016 during fitzy s I’ll timed hold out. IMO, fitzys hold out wrecked the team but letting geno retake the title of qb during the off season.  If fitz was truly a team qb he would’ve signed right after the season and gone to all of the training camps.