Four f****ng plays

freestater

1 minute ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Anyone that wasn’t expecting something bad to happen was a bit naive.  

I know everyone in my life is sick of my Jets pity party I’ve been throwing since 85.  

Come join us in the Defcon 4 thread  Sunday around 4:00pm EST.  Excuses will be over.  There will be nowhere for anyone to hide.  There will be no pity party.  It will be open season on the folks that are responsible for this.

• Ugh 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Anyone that wasn’t expecting something bad to happen was a bit naive.  

I know everyone in my life is sick of my Jets pity party I’ve been throwing since 85.  

I think all of us older folk knew it. I let myself suppress it just enough with the notion that we'd have the normal luck that 99% of all the teams that have ever played have. Just law of averages. But instinct was correct: the NY Jets will never just be normal. Never.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Did anyone else literally contemplate the scenario in their head in the weeks leading up to the event?

I literally thought to myself “wouldn’t it be horrible if he suffered an Achilles injury in the first game ala Vinny?”

well at least now we know who's fault it was....

• Ugh 1

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Did anyone else literally contemplate the scenario in their head in the weeks leading up to the event?

I literally thought to myself “wouldn’t it be horrible if he suffered an Achilles injury in the first game ala Vinny?”

So, it was your fault, then?

Get the tar and feathers ready, everyone.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, freestater said:

I still can't get over it. 

I find myself mumbling that throughout the day. "Four f****ng plays."

head no GIF

It is quite incredible.

I've been a Jets fan for a long time, so am obviously used to bizarre and soul-crushing disappointment.  It's just the norm for us.

But this one....it really takes the cake. So much delay, drama and hope while we waited for the trade. Then so much elation when it finally happened, even though the price (in picks and cap money) was huge for a 40-year old player the other team didn't want to keep.

It was all going to be worth it though, because this was 4-time NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers, who actually wanted to be a Jet and who was giving his all to get himself and the team ready to fly this year.

He didn't even have to be prime Aaron Rodgers, he just had to play solid football and get the ball to the playmakers like Garrett and Breece.

Then those four frickin' plays...

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Not exactly, but had more than one conversation about not opening a season this legitimately high and excited since the Vinny Achilles game before shuddering and saying “that was a bad day”. 

Another thing I thought about a lot was whether Aaron would be up to the task in general over a 17 game period - that he would be often running for his life. So I envisioned injury - just not that bad and certainly not that fast. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

It is truly unfathomable.  All the excitement crushed in 4 frickin plays.  It will be remembered as an all type Jets blunder for the rest of our lives.  It will be a "I remember exactly where I was while watching it" moment.

On the couch 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, freestater said:

head no GIF

The Bhagavad Gita explains previous lives and karma extensively. That should help you get over it, unless you don't want to get over it....also explained in the Bhagavad Gita. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I feared it. Not the Achilles injury specifically, but I had a nagging feeling of a season ending injury in either preseason or week 1. 

the fact that it he ruptured his Achilles almost exactly 24 years (off by a day) after Vinny went down in week 1 of the 99 season is just cruel. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, freestater said:

head no GIF

Bro, I was on a Cruise with the family! First Night! RC has a Sports Bar on their ships... was there, in my throwback Klecko Jersey. We skipped our Dining Time for Nachos and Beers. Sat next to a nice couple from Wisconsin, there to watch A-A Ron. 

And of course, about 20 filthy Buffalo Fans... Will be re-thinking ROyal Carribean for next cruise. Maybe something with classier passengers. LOL

Rodgers goes down, and I am angry, upset, shocked, etc. My wife looks at me and says, "So, cruise is ruined, huh?". I keep mumbling about 1999, and that God hates us. The Bills fans start chirping, so seeing as how I'm on a Cruise Ship in international waters...I made the smart decision. We leave, I remove my Klecko jersey, and go to the Suites Lounge to watch the rest. My wife asked why we had to leave, and I answered her honestly - If I stay there I will wind up in a fistfight, and in the brig until they toss me off in Nassau. 

THAT would have definitely ruined the cruise...

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

While I did not contemplate this particular scenario, as a 50-year plus Jets fan, I knew something would happen. We just can't have nice things. 

For the record, while I was happy when we got Rodgers, I felt we over paid big time. GB was desperate to unload his cap hit, and no other team was even considering picking him up. We could have gotten him for a 3rd at most. 

I was also against drafting Zach. Thought we should have added some skill players and rolled with Darnold under a legitimate head coach and OC, and if it didn't work out, get a replacement in a better QB draft. 

Guess I'm 2 for 2, and I am the furthest thing from a GM.