Zach Wilson versus other QBs 2.5 seconds or less passing

batman10023

6 minutes ago, Claymation said:

So you are saying is Zach's problem is between his ears.

i am not saying anything.  but I try to find some positive in the situation.

it's highly unlikely he's the future but if he can get the ball out quickly and keep this type of performance

then we might have a chance to win some games.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

we all know Zach sucks from the endless posts here.

however I found this stat very interesting (from the athletic) - when Zach passes in under 2.5 seconds he's 17/23 with 2 TD and 0 INT.  This is a league best

130.2 passer rating!

I find that very surprising and gives us fans (who root for the Jets) some hope that Zach can become less of a liability.

Zach has always been pretty good when given a clean pocket but literally the worst QB in NFL history under pressure. The problem is there are only a couple teams across the league (like PHI, ATL, DET) that have good enough OLs that would actually give him any chances to succeed.

The fact is you cannot be a successful as an NFL QB if you are guaranteed to completely meltdown against any sign of pressure. And Zach's skittishness and anxiety make me truly wonder whether this is something that will ever be even remotely correctable from a coaching standpoint (not like the Jets have the offensive coaches to correct it anyway, though).

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Alex G said:

Zach has always been pretty good when given a clean pocket but literally the worst QB in NFL history under pressure. The problem is there are only a couple teams across the league (like PHI, ATL, DET) that have good enough OLs that would actually give him any chances to succeed.

The fact is you cannot be a successful as an NFL QB if you are guaranteed to completely meltdown against any sign of pressure. And Zach's skittishness and anxiety make me truly wonder whether this is something that will ever be even remotely correctable from a coaching standpoint (not like the Jets have the offensive coaches to correct it anyway, though).

the OL is pretty much a terrible match for Zach.

I thought some strides this past week with his limited running around like a chicken.  thought he was better and stepped up.

was he good, not really.  never did i feel like he was comfortable - i didn't feel comfortable whenever he had the ball in his hand.

• Upvote 1

We know what Belichik’s D will do on Sunday.  Often he’ll go with a stacked front, but likely mix it up a bit..dropping guys in coverage.  He’ll want to play with Zach’s mind..trying to confuse and panic him. 

This is it.  Can’t underplay how big Sunday’s game is for ZW, Saleh/Hackett, and the team.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, Greg555 said:

We know what Belichik’s D will do on Sunday.  Often he’ll go with a stacked front, but likely mix it up a bit..dropping guys in coverage.  He’ll want to play with Zach’s mind..trying to confuse and panic him. 

This is it.  Can’t underplay how big Sunday’s game is for ZW, Saleh/Hackett, and the team.

AITFw-zvKmrCB7lAWwbzM6HQ-evWzPT-DSB4rs0vAITFw-ypZT3Id2Sm-EE3yRKwA3YhfAcRRkkgq4uF

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

however I found this stat very interesting (from the athletic) - when Zach passes in under 2.5 seconds he's 17/23 with 2 TD and 0 INT.  This is a league best

130.2 passer rating!

I find that very surprising and gives us fans (who root for the Jets) some hope that Zach can become less of a liability.

Most of these dudes can hit their primary look if it's open right away, even if it takes some anticipation.  It's getting through progressions, seeing the field and handling pressure that ultimately separates a QB from bad to good to great.  The other thing this tells me is he probably isnt even trying to get through progressions.  He's probably not seeing #1 and looking for the check down considering he's completed more to the RBs and TEs then WRs. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1

The OL was blamed for the tipped pass intended for GW and rightly so, I suppose.

But another problem Saleh and the Jets refuse to acknowledge is Zach, among other things, has no feel for when to step up in the pocket (awful pocket instincts) and can’t make anticipatory throws.

If he just steps or slides in the pocket he’s fine.

If he throws the ball a few milliseconds sooner before GW gets out his break, it’s a TD.

The protection is rarely going to be perfect.

QBs who can’t navigate the pocket or read a defense, who don’t see the field well, will always be a liability despite “arm angles”, pro day throws or whatever…

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1

2 hours ago, batman10023 said:

130.2 passer rating!

This is a fair point, but aren't you sick and tired of rooting for whoever the Jets QB is to be less of a liability? The bar has been set so low now that this is what the collective fan base is rooting for?  Therein lies the problem.  We have been numbed into accepting slightly below mediocre as the acceptable QB barometer, which none of the Jets QB's over the last 5+ seasons has even been able to achieve. Damn you, Jets!

• Upvote 4

Patrick Mahomes said after the Super Bowl their game plan against Phillies pass rush was for him to get the ball out in 2 seconds.

Most of their pass plays where design to drop back and throw the ball to average receivers that got open. Totally frustrating any pass rush.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Now all you have to to do is convince zach to get rid of the ball quickly. 

While you're at it, try to convince a snowball not to melt in hell.

Don’t you think the receivers have got something to do with it?  Wilson is the only guy, so far, who can get space with his defender.  Conklin has been used as a safety receiver.  This is where they’re really missing a guy like Davis who could also get space.

2 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I’ve been saying his biggest problem is that he’s too indecisive and holds the ball too long

He is frustrating to watch. I find myself telling, “throw it!” and, “run!” a lot. Sometimes when I’m yelling he does it and it’s not a bad play. I think Zach might’ve been the game’s leading rusher Monday sometime in the third quarter, but then he just stopped doing that. He needs to have a good idea of what he plans to do before the snap, and he needs to make a final decision inside of 2.5 seconds. It’s really up to the coaches and probably Rodgers, too, to pound that into his head. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

This is a fair point, but aren't you sick and tired of rooting for whoever the Jets QB is to be less of a liability? The bar has been set so low now that this is what the collective fan base is rooting for?  Therein lies the problem.  We have been numbed into accepting slightly below mediocre as the acceptable QB barometer, which none of the Jets QB's over the last 5+ seasons has even been able to achieve. Damn you, Jets!

we just haven't been able to draft and develop a QB.  

if there was a greater salary cap difference between the top guys and the mid-tier guys then perhaps you could go with a mid tier guy and then build around him.  But Daniel Jones is 40MM.  if he's 30MM maybe you can make it work by using the other money on very high end WR.

so here's what's going to happen.

Wilson will give us a Wilson like season showing just enough improvement with little things to keep the debate going but still sucking like Zach sucks. Then the last 3 weeks of the season after we're officially eliminated he's going to start ripping it in 2.5 seconds or less almost all the time and look like he's a real NFL QB.

It's science.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Wilson will give us a Wilson like season showing just enough improvement with little things to keep the debate going but still sucking like Zach sucks. Then the last 3 weeks of the season after we're officially eliminated he's going to start ripping it in 2.5 seconds or less almost all the time and look like he's a real NFL QB.

It's science.

Impossible. He will look so bad in however many games he has left and the team will be forced to bench him. There is no other scenario for Zach besides injury. His NFL career is already in the grave. Just waiting on the backfill.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, batman10023 said:

130.2 passer rating!

It tells you that he's a one read guy. When his first option is open and everyone else executes he can deliver the ball (which, candidly, is an improvement from last year.)

When the first option isn't open he can't process what he's seeing quickly and holds the ball forever.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's science.

I would argue pretty strongly that is not what a "Wilson-like-season" is. Zach's 2022 season was a "he's unplayable, it's time to move on" season.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

It tells you that he's a one read guy. When his first option is open and everyone else executes he can deliver the ball (which, candidly, is an improvement from last year.)

When the first option isn't open he can't process what he's seeing quickly and holds the ball forever.

last year he was unable to throw screens and simple routes.  so i guess that's an improvement.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, batman10023 said:

130.2 passer rating!

He’s good staring at one guy throwing the ball to them. After that it’s a pretty steep drop