LenDale Speaks

Green Jets & Ham

This kid is 6' 1" Boozer, 6' 1" and naturally big boned ... some cats are Just built that way ... what makes him unique is that he has the skills to excell at RB at that size

Can he Get more ripped? ABSOLUTELY

But believe me, he will never play at a dime below 230-235 in his career, not ever, cause he's just not built that way ... and if some team tries to make him play in the 220's, that would be a mistake ... he's a big kid with superb RB skills, that's what he is, take it or leave it

Here's my take on the White situation:

I'm pretty much with Hammer on this becasue guys his size can go up and down pretty easily.

My problem is his smug attitude .

That could hurt his NFL career more than a few pounds can.

And keep in mind the most important thing; his on-field results speak for themself.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry but if you have natural given talent to be a first round pick in the NFL and you come into your showcase overweight and out of shape then I don't want you on my team, and I don't think Mangini would either.

Overweight?

He's around 5-10 Pounds past his playing weight at USC, and for that you would pass on a BACK BACK who scored a school record 57 TD's at TAILBACK U {Home of cats like OJ, Marcus Allen, Charles White, Reggie Bush, etc}, so when you set a TD Record as a RB at USC you have accomplished something spectacular ... but f**k that man, cause he's 5-10 Pounds overweight

I'm done trying to talk sense into people ... screw it ... no one bothers to listen anyway

I'm sorry but if you have natural given talent to be a first round pick in the NFL and you come into your showcase overweight and out of shape then I don't want you on my team, and I don't think Mangini would either.

That's exactly what I meant when I said his "smug" attitude may cost him.

Yeah you go get'em Carl! Who cares about talent, we need guys who have heart, desire, discipline, will to succeed and walk old ladies across the street on their way to church.

All Lendale White did in college was score a ****load of touchdowns, run for a ****load of yards and help his team go on a 30 game winning streak. Yeah, we're way better off with Bradway scrubs like Blaylock and Houston.

And keep in mind the most important thing; his on-field results speak for themself

THANK YOU

And here's all you need to know about that ....

At Tailback U, the home of numerous heisman RB's and even NFL HOF'ers, cats like OJ, Marcus Allen, Charles White, Reggie Bush, Just to name a few, LenDale White set a school record for TD's by a RB having crossed the Goalline an obscene 57 times, and that's as a Junior!!

Broke the school record at TAILBACK U, and did it as a Junior!!

And he did it while having to share carries with Reggie Bush!!

NUFF SAID

since nobody answered it the first time...let me try again.

Serious question here to look at it from another angle. As Jet fans we continie saying (for the most part) how happy we are that we have a HC who wants players who live and breathe football. No more club med type training camps, and players now being held accountable for their shortcomings. If Eric Mangini is the guy we all say we hope he is, is this somebody he would take?

Yeah you go get'em Carl! Who cares about talent, we need guys who have heart, desire, discipline, will to succeed and walk old ladies across the street on their way to church.

All Lendale White did in college was score a ****load of touchdowns, run for a ****load of yards and help his team go on a 30 game winning streak. Yeah, we're way better off with Bradway scrubs like Blaylock and Houston.

It's amazing, isn't it?

It's like none of that matters, or never happened, or both

It's amazing, isn't it?

It's like none of that matters, or never happened, or both

Or, it's like there are other great college RBs who have done wonderful things at the college/minor league level that did not translate in the NFL because they didn't get to come out every week and play against inferior talent. They played against other guys who were great in college but the only difference, the thing that set them apart, was work ethic.

THANK YOU

And here's all you need to know about that ....

At Tailback U, the home of numerous heisman RB's and even NFL HOF'ers, cats like OJ, Marcus Allen, Charles White, Reggie Bush, Just to name a few, LenDale White set a school record for TD's by a RB having crossed the Goalline an obscene 57 times, and that's as a Junior!!

Broke the school record at TAILBACK U, and did it as a Junior!!

NUFF SAID

Greenjets, you just don't get it do you? Derrick Blaylock and Cedric Houston are the future. Those two guys are not only going to take over for Martin, they're gonna make Martin look like a scrub.

Blaylock is the kind of guy who makes defenses scared and opposing Head Coaches want to quit their jobs. His quickness and ability to mow down defenders. This guy is the next Barry Sanders.

Houston may have only averaged 3 yards a carry last year but boy did he make the defense pay for it. This guy is OJ Simpson, Barry Sanders, Jim Brown and Marcus Allen all rolled in one.

Wake up man. Jets have their running back situation taken care of for the next 15 years.

Greenjets, you just don't get it do you? Derrick Blaylock and Cedric Houston are the future. Those two guys are not only going to take over for Martin, they're gonna make Martin look like a scrub.

Blaylock is the kind of guy who makes defenses scared and opposing Head Coaches want to quit their jobs. His quickness and ability to mow down defenders. This guy is the next Barry Sanders.

Houston may have only averaged 3 yards a carry last year but boy did he make the defense pay for it. This guy is OJ Simpson, Barry Sanders, Jim Brown and Marcus Allen all rolled in one.

Wake up man. Jets have their running back situation taken care of for the next 12 years.

you really take away from the debate when you imply that one group is saying something that they are not, in order to make your argument better. I've yet to see a single poster on here say that they'd take Blaylock/Houston over Lenadale White. The question is, should the Jets risk a #1 pick on a RB with poor work ethic who beat up on inferior talent in college as opposed to taking a player at another need area (OL) who has a great work ethic.

Wake up man. Jets have their running back situation taken care of for the next 15 years.

Damn, I had to erase what I started to write and then the lightbulb went off.;)

It's amazing ... staggering

I do a mock draft and I have the Jets committing a felony, LenDale White at 29 Overall, so I'm sure Jet fans will be like ... WOW HAM, from your mouth to Gods ears ... but instead I Get bashed for committing the crime of the century on the Jets behalf

No wonder Marie Antoinette had no use for the peasants ... I share her sentiments ... let them eat cake!

:lol:

you really take away from the debate when you imply that one group is saying something that they are not, in order to make your argument better. I've yet to see a single poster on here say that they'd take Blaylock/Houston over Lenadale White. The question is, should the Jets risk a #1 pick on a RB with poor work ethic who beat up on inferior talent in college as opposed to taking a player at another need area (OL) who has a great work ethic.

Why can't the Jets draft BOTH a good running back and a good OL? I don't understand how that is against the laws of physics. Why can't we take White at #29 and Whitworth or Colledge at #35? You take care of two needs in that case.

I'm sick and tired of having an inept offense. If we go back into next season with the Bradway busts, Jolley, McCariens, and Blaylock, our offense will suck. I don't care how many picks you use on O-line.

You could have Tony Boselli, Willie Roaf and Kevin Mawae in his prime and if you have a scrub in the backfield like Blaylock or Houston you're not winning.

I know alot of you guys on this site think Patrick Ramsey is the second coming of Johnny Unitas but here's a wake-up call: Ramsey isn't that good. He's going to need a running game to support him and playmakers who can get open for him. Jolley ho-ho, McCareins and Blaylock ain't getting the job done.

Why can't the Jets draft BOTH a good running back and a good OL? I don't understand how that is against the laws of physics. Why can't we take White at #29 and Whitworth or Colledge at #35? You take care of two needs in that case.

I'm sick and tired of having an inept offense. If we go back into next season with the Bradway busts, Jolley, McCariens, and Blaylock, our offense will suck. I don't care how many picks you use on O-line.

You could have Tony Boselli, Willie Roaf and Kevin Mawae in his prime and if you have a scrub in the backfield like Blaylock or Houston you're not winning.

I know alot of you guys on this site think Patrick Ramsey is the second coming of Johnny Unitas but hear's a wake-up call: Ramsey isn't that good. He's going to need a running game to support him and playmakers who can get open for him. Jolley ho-ho, McCareins and Blaylock ain't getting the job done.

As Jet fans I'm quite sure we're all tired of having an inept offense. If Lendale White was the pick @29 I'd be cautiously optomistic as I am with most of our picks. I prefer to reserve judgement until the player actually plays. However, my point in this discussion is that given the choice between two first round talents, who both address a need area, I'd prefer the harder working of the two. So this means I don't want the offense to get fixed?

I think we can fix the offense with a couple of top lineman and a RB later in the draft and to be quite honest I wouldnt' have much of a problem seeing Cedric Houston get a shot to compete. The guys YPC wasn't impressive at all last year but watch the games. Numbers don't always tell the whole story. The guy ran with authority and showed he can break some tackles. Get a RB like Andre Hall to compete with Houston and mix in Blaylock behind a line that consists of Andrew Whitworth or best available OT@29 (If Mario Williams is taken over Brick @4) and Gilles (or best available OG/OC in rd. 2).

I look at it this way as far as the chances of the Jets taking Lendale White. It is a possibility, but I'd honestly be shocked to see Eric Mangini, A man who worked his way from ball boy to NFL HC in ten seasons through countless hours of hard work and dedication hand over the RB duties of his team, in his first job, to a guy who has proven to have anything less than an outstanding work ethic, which I think we can all agree Lendale White does not have based on the fact that he was willing to risk millions of dollars in exchange for a few extra hamburgers.

Bottom line! If there isn't a problem with White and he's this big ole TD machine from USC, then why the hell is he dropping?

Seems to me if you're going to quote stats to feed your position, maybe White should be ahead of Bush then...who cares about gaining yardage when the goal is to score TD's...which White does in your argument.

As Jet fans I'm quite sure we're all tired of having an inept offense. If Lendale White was the pick @29 I'd be cautiously optomistic as I am with most of our picks. I prefer to reserve judgement until the player actually plays.

However, my point in this discussion is that given the choice between two first round talents, who both address a need area, I'd prefer the harder working of the two.

You know what AFJ, a mule on the farm is a hard working animal ... plows the fields and works like a dog ... but no matter how hard he works he'll never be Secretariat, he'll still be a Jackass when the work is done

Now I'm not saying I DON'T want hard workers, of course I do, but I'd rather work with a thoroughbred to make him a stakes winner than try to transform a hard working plow horse into a race horse ... no matter how hard he works, that just ain't happening

Translation: Great Running Backs are born and not made

That's actually an old adage, I didn't just make that up ... but old adages survive because they are true

Great RB's are like Great thoroughbreds ... born and not made

I look at it this way as far as the chances of the Jets taking Lendale White. It is a possibility, but I'd honestly be shocked to see Eric Mangini, A man who worked his way from ball boy to NFL HC in ten seasons through countless hours of hard work and dedication hand over the RB duties of his team, in his first job, to a guy who has proven to have anything less than an outstanding work ethic, which I think we can all agree Lendale White does not have based on the fact that he was willing to risk millions of dollars in exchange for a few extra hamburgers.

End the thread. That's the situation in a nutshell.

It looks like the way he's dropping, Mangini might have a chance to answer all of our questions on the issue.

I'd be shocked if Mangini drafted him, too.

You know what AFJ, a mule on the farm is a hard working animal ... plows the fields and works like a dog ... but no matter how hard he works he'll never be Secretariat, he'll still be a Jackass when the work is done

Now I'm not saying I DON'T want hard workers, of course I do, but I'd rather work with a thoroughbred to make him a stakes winner than try to transform a hard working plow horse into a race horse ... no matter how hard he works, that just ain't happening

That's actually an old adage, I didn't just make that up ... but old adages survive because they are true

So give me an estimate Ham, seriously...I"m not trying to be a smartass at all. What percentage of current great NFL running backs do you think were "born" with their god given talent, had a ****ty work ethic, and are bound for greatness?

And, we now know how you feel. You would pass on a top notch blue chip hard working DE/DT/OT for a great RB with questionable work ethic....but in your honest opinion, with all that youve read about Eric Mangini, do you think he will? I don't.

Ya damn right. I love how some people on this site make it sound like it's so easy to find a good running back.

Imagine if Tiki Barber had gone down for the Giants last year? I doubt Brandon Jacobs would have easily stepped right in and did what he did. If the Seahawks lose Shaun Alexander Maurice Morris wouldn't have been anywhere near what Alexander was.

Remember 2004 when Ricky Williams decided to go AWOL? Travis Minor, Sammy Morris and Lamar Gordon didn't exactly make the city of Miami forget about losing Williams.

Exceptional running backs are just that, exceptional.

Oh Air Force, if we take a big-time DT, DE or OT at 4 and another OT at 35 taking White at 29 doesn't sound like the crime against humanity you make it out to be.

I don't think anybody here said we are set at RB, just that we don't necessarily want a slow bruising RB taken in the first round who is so overweight to have been described as needing a bra. Anyway, I can't really value your opinion much since you think he is in the same mold as L Tomlinson :eek:

Ya damn right. I love how some people on this site make it sound like it's so easy to find a good running back.

Imagine if Tiki Barber had gone down for the Giants last year? I doubt Brandon Jacobs would have easily stepped right in and did what he did. If the Seahawks lose Shaun Alexander Maurice Morris wouldn't have been anywhere near what Alexander was.

Remember 2004 when Ricky Williams decided to go AWOL? Travis Minor, Sammy Morris and Lamar Gordon sdidn't exactly make the city of Miami forget about losing Williams.

Exceptional running backs are just that, exceptional.

Oh Air Force, if we take a big-time DT, DE or OT at 4 and another DT or OT at 35 taking White at 29 doesn't sound like the crime against humanity you make it out to be.

Okay, what I'm getting out of this is that because some teams do a poor job of putting together a roster with depth, we should draft Lendale White?

I don't recall saying anything about drafting White being a crime against humanity and I think I've been pretty consistent in what I'm saying here. If I'm drafting a player in the first round of the NFL draft, I take a guy who is graded as a first round player, fills a need, and has a great work ethic. I realize that most fans and just people in general are willing to settle for people who put forth a lackluster effort in what they do but personally I don't. I have not said that drafting Lendale White would be the worst thing in the world or a "crime agianst humanity" as you said.

Again, come draft day we'll see if this world beater of a RB who is a player for the ages falls the Jets at the 29th pick (can't believe there are 22-25 GMs who aren't as smart as us message board fans)

I think I'm right in saying that the Jets would pass on him because they want hard workers, we'll see if you and Ham are right in saying they would be wise to pass up on a player with ability and work ethic to grab a guy who only has one of the two.

It's not a question of right or wrong.

The question of the day is........

Based on what you know about our coach, if Lendale is there, do you think Mangini would draft him?

I've tried making that point/asking that question a couple of times but I can't get an answer.

I've tried making that point/asking that question a couple of times but I can't get an answer.

I could certaintly live with Lendale @ 29. I think there are better picks, but I wouldnt cry in my beer.

Based on what I've heard Mangini say about players, and scouts who bring him players with questionable work ethics, there is no way he takes him.

Based on what you know about our coach, if Lendale is there, do you think Mangini would draft him?

The obvious answer here is simple. No. Mangini wants guys who work hard, no matter the circumstances. I'm not taking anything away from what LenDale White did in college or taking away from his stats, but he is falling in the draft hard and I think he is a very risky pick at this point because of a poor work ethic. There have been plenty of RBs who put up huge numbers in college and did not translate well into the NFL and I believe White will fall into this category. He may be a great RB someday, but it won't be for this team and not at a pick in the first round where we could have guys who want to show up and work every day.

I could certaintly live with Lendale @ 29. I think there are better picks, but I wouldnt cry in my beer.

Based on what I've heard Mangini say about players, and scouts who bring him players with questionable work ethics, there is no way he takes him.

I agree 100%. I'd prefer a hard worker over LW but I wouldn't totally kill the pick. If the poor work ethic continuted at the NFL level and led to him being a bust, the Jets would have nobody to blame but themselves.

I also feel that based on what I've read about Mangini, unless it's all the complete opposite of what he really is, that the Jets will not draft any players who show up overweight/out of shape for the single biggest day of their life at that point in time.

JMO

Found this blurb about White:

NFL | L. White being compared to Clarett

Mon, 3 Apr 2006 18:35:14 -0700

Jason Cole, writing for NBCSports.com, reports USC RB LenDale White is being mentioned in the same company as free agent RB Maurice Clarett. An NFL exeutive said, "We had one of our scouts go up and ask him what was going on (after White didn't run). The kid said his hamstring was tight or something like that. Then we tried to find out when he was going to run and he didn't know. It didn't even sound like he was going to run. What does this kid think?" A former USC offensive player who once was a teammate of White's said, "The guy can play, but he just gets by. He coasted in practice and he coasted in the offseason. He came in thinking he just had to put in his time and that's what you see now." The teammate added that the things White was able to do was because he played next to RB Reggie Bush and the other guys around him. He added that White would be amazing if he really worked at it.

I'm always leery of athletes like this. Great talent, bad, lazy work ethics. It is a dangerous mix, especially for a team like ours, one that is in transition and is now under the hands of a first year, 35 yr old coach.

I'm curious. Did BB draft anyone with similar characteristics? How often do these enigmas pan out?

I say Mangini passes on White, were he available.

I read this stuff over & here's my take:

1. Lendale White will not be available at #29.

2. If he's there at #29, no matter what else you'd like to add, you have to take him. I'd love nothing more than to build the OL with day-one picks (particularly first & second-rounders), but this is insanity.

Reggie Bush is the only one with value at #4 (and he's not going to drop there). In the late first or early 2nd I'm not a fan of taking a RB. But White is not "a" running back; Joseph Addai is "a" running back. Lendale White is a machine who could be THE running back.

For all my criticism of Martin's me-first stuff, I have no doubt he tries his hardest & the product he puts on the field is always to the best of his abilities. White can learn something from him (particularly now that Martin knows he ain't the man anymore & is on record as being in favor of us adding him). As such, Martin might now actually try to help White be the #1 back in the league instead of the lip-service he gave Jordan which was akin to pissing in his ear & tellin him it's only rain.

This isn't like saying you think Leinart is the man. If he isn't, you sank a $25M in SB into him & can't just switch him in & out of the huddle mid-game like you can with a RB. White would further command a SB 1/5 of Leinart's at #29 and is surely worth that risk.

A dominant line can certainly make a mediocre RB look very non-mediocre (see Blaylock in KC, Olandis Gary in Denver, Dominick Rhodes in Indy, & many, many others). But not selecting White b/c he got a little lazy after reading his own headlines when he's just a kid at age 20 doesn't mean he's destined to be so for the life of a 5-year contract & beyond - or even through training camp. Passing on him is just being stubborn for the sake of making a point. Mangini should take "his type" of players, but ignoring talent like this when he's there for the taking is just dumb. If this philosophy always prevailed, NE never would've considered taking a chance on Corey Dillon & no way do they get that third Lombardi without him.

It's amazing ... staggering

I do a mock draft and I have the Jets committing a felony, LenDale White at 29 Overall, so I'm sure Jet fans will be like ... WOW HAM, from your mouth to Gods ears ... but instead I Get bashed for committing the crime of the century on the Jets behalf

No wonder Marie Antoinette had no use for the peasants ... I share her sentiments ... let them eat cake!

:lol:

Hey, Ham, I didn't bash you.... I just wondered if Mangini would draft a guy who has a rep as a lazy player (and an admitted work ethic problem, that he promises to fix). I'd be thrilled with White at 29..... he's a kid, like all of these players are. Some are a little slower to mature and grow up. They've been pretty spoiled so far in their short lives, and they've been romanced and recruited. I was a real idiot out of high school, but the USAF and the Vietnam war made me grow up pretty fast after that.

Some kids need a wake up call.... like I did. Others, like Mangini never went through that. He might not understand that and may not think the risk is acceptable.

So, it's not like I didn't like the pick, I just wonder if it's one Mangini would make, given his commentary on what he wants in players.

All I have in my arsenal is what Lendale White did in college which was alot (averaging over 1,000 yds and 17 td's a year) while taking a relatively low amount of abuse. All you White haters have in your arsenal is that he showed up 6 lbs overweight at a pro-day workout and didn't run the 40.

It's your moment in the sun now. Because of the pro-day you can sit back, relax and pretend to act like you know what you're talking about. Enjoy it because when September rolls around, and White is once again notching touchdowns on whatever team he is on, we can again have the pleasure of watching Derrick Blaylock and Cedric Houston getting 3 yds a carry.

My friend AJF asked the same question and I haven't answered it yet, but here goes ... NO

I don't believe Mangini would draft LenDale White .. I think that's a big mistake, cause this kid is like a Great thoroughbred and that would be Grand larceny at 29, but I don't believe Mangini will pull the trigger

Archived