All-22 film shows Zach Wilson missed open deep shots

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/09/25/ny-jets-all-22-zach-wilson-film-miss/

By
 Michael Nania
 -
 09/25/2023
Zach Wilson, NY Jets, Film, Stats, All-22 Zach Wilson, New York Jets, Getty Images

The New York Jets created opportunities for Zach Wilson, but he could not capitalize on them

As part of my instant reaction to the New York Jets’ Week 3 loss to the New England Patriots, I included offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett as one of my two primary culprits for the loss, alongside quarterback Zach Wilson.

But after rewatching the film from the game, I came away thinking a little bit differently about Hackett’s performance.

While I stand by my criticisms of Hackett – he needs to distribute snaps more effectively and be less predictable with his play calling – the film revealed that Hackett was actually dialing up successful passing concepts on a consistent basis throughout the game. Wilson just kept botching them.

Despite Hackett’s faults, I firmly believe a league-average quarterback would have led the Jets to either two or three more touchdowns than Wilson did if they were placed into his shoes. Wilson continuously failed to capitalize on open receivers, leaving a ton of yards, first downs, and touchdowns on the field.

Let’s take a look at some of Wilson’s most egregious reps from the loss.

Every fan was angered when they saw Wilson throw a checkdown to Tyler Conklin on fourth-and-10 with the game on the line. While anger is always warranted when you see such a thing, it’s impossible to fully blame the quarterback without first viewing the All-22 and seeing whether he had any better options available. In this case, we can see that Wilson did indeed have a good option available downfield in Allen Lazard, who separates toward the sideline on a corner route, but Wilson still checks it down – even with a clean pocket.

One play earlier on third-and-10, Wilson had a chance to at least create a shorter fourth down if he targeted Garrett Wilson, who was wide open on a drag route over the middle. But Zach doesn’t see it until too late and misses the throw.

Wilson actually missed three opportunities in a row on that drive. On second-and-10, Wilson misses a window to hit Tyler Conklin, who gains a step on his defender. It’s definitely not an easy throw, but it’s one that any NFL quarterback should be able to hit at a fairly good clip – especially when throwing from a pristine pocket as Wilson does here.

That’ll be a theme in these clips. Wilson was often given great protection but made the offensive line look worse than it actually was by holding the ball too long or running himself into trouble.

This one isn’t quite as egregious as the rest of the plays in here, and I’m speculating a bit as to whether Wilson is truly at fault (it’s hard to say without knowing how he is told to read this). However, it’s puzzling why Wilson chose Allen Lazard’s opposite-hash out route when he had Garrett Wilson running the same route on the near side.

As it turns out, Lazard’s route was well-covered while Wilson burned his defender. Plus, with Lazard’s defender having heavy outside leverage, Wilson probably shouldn’t even have attempted the throw. If he looked off Lazard and progressed to Garrett, he had enough time to make the throw thanks to the protection and the large amount of separation created by Garrett.

On third-and-13 here, Garrett Wilson is immediately open on the fade route, as his defender drops into a two-high shell to leave him covered only by a defender retreating from the line of scrimmage. Zach never looks Garrett’s way. Zach could also go to Michael Carter, who wins on an angle route and has the leverage to potentially pick up the first down. Instead, Zach goes to the opposite side and checks it down to a non-YAC threat in Tyler Conklin.

On third-and-6, Randall Cobb is open over the middle on a crossing route, but Zach instead targets Garrett to the outside on a route that breaks short of the sticks. It’s really not the worst decision, but it would take a perfect throw for Garrett to catch the ball in a way where he could reach the sticks after the catch, and a perfect throw is not what Zach delivers. If Zach noticed the middle of the field vacated, he could have looked Cobb’s way for a much easier shot at the conversion.

The previous play showed Zach forcing the ball to Garrett when it wasn’t ideal. On this play, Zach should force the ball to Garrett but doesn’t. Garrett has a favorable 1-on-1 to the field side and creates separation coming back toward Zach. But Zach never even looks his way. After finishing his reads on the left side, Zach starts to jitter around despite no immediate pressure bearing down on him. He runs left and never gets a chance to see Garrett open.

This is a tougher one to truly criticize without knowing how Wilson is taught to read the play. On second-and-22, perhaps the play calls for him to take the quick-hitter immediately if he sees it, even if it means disregarding the deeper options. Still, when you have a receiver running this wide open down the field and the protection up front is good, it’s hard not to wonder if someone whose last name rhymes with “Dodgers” would have explored all his options on this play and found Cobb for a gain of at least 30-40 yards.

Being third-and-7, it’s hard to justify Zach throwing a checkdown at the sticks with two linebackers in the area when he has Garrett running a go route to the near side. Again, I’m not in the meeting room, but it feels as if Zach should at least check on Garrett here. If he did, he would see that the flat defender lets Garrett free way too early, leaving Wilson wide open in a huge patch of grass between the flat defender and the deep safety. At the very least, Zach can hit Garrett with a Cover 2 hole shot for the first down. With a perfect throw, this could be a touchdown.

The Jets offense has a lot of issues right now. Despite them all, there were still enough opportunities available on Sunday for New York to score a lot more points if the quarterback simply performed at an average level. Unfortunately, Zach Wilson is holding the Jets back. Who could’ve seen this coming after he was benched twice last year due to costly reps on film that looked just like these?

New York’s refusal to add a true veteran backup in the offseason is coming back to haunt them.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

right wilson sucks, which is why you can credibly criticize hack for not dumbing down the play calls and giving zach much simpler routes and game plan - he acts like zach is a competent QB which he is not. Any decent qb or any of the back ups that got playing time from minchew to dalton all would have scored multiple times with this play calls. That is why it is such a travesty. Zach literally sucks, and we keep dialing up plays that can not work for him. 

They refuse to admit that he is a bad qb. It will only lead to disappointment. I am not sure why they are so convinced zach can run the offense he can not. They need to get someone two weeks ago. Doubs or whatever his name literally beat the cowboys with the game plan we should have implemented. Although I must admit zach probably couldn't have run that one either if I am being honest.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Love the formatting Barry 😘

Yeah Zach missed a lot of open recievers yesterday... he is objectively bad at the sport of football... some others here will try to argue otherwise.... they are wrong.

no idea what you guys are talking about. I copied/pasted and the formatting came from the site.

if you're using dark-mode it might look different than it does for me?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

right wilson sucks, which is why you can credibly criticize hack for not dumbing down the play calls and giving zach much simpler routes and game plan - he acts like zach is a competent QB which he is not. Any decent qb or any of the back ups that got playing time from minchew to dalton all would have scored multiple times with this play calls. That is why it is such a travesty. Zach literally sucks, and we keep dialing up plays that can not work for him. 

They refuse to admit that he is a bad qb. It will only lead to disappointment. I am not sure why they are so convinced zach can run the offense he can not. They need to get someone two weeks ago. Doubs or whatever his name literally beat the cowboys with the game plan we should have implemented. Although I must admit zach probably couldn't have run that one either if I am being honest.

lol it's hard to dumb it down any lower then crossing patterns 5 yards out,  yet still somehow not seeing it.  I'm 100% convinced that it doesn't matter what they called for Zach, he would have struggled.  His confidence(or lack thereof) had him second guessing reads, panicking after his 1st or 2nd read, starting to scramble even when there wasn't any pressure.  He's just broken.  

They're never going to publicly admit he's not a good QB.  They invested a 2nd overall into him and the hope was that getting stapled to the bench behind Rodgers could fix him.  They probably also thought that there would be no coming back from dropping him to #3(not dressing), as far as his confidence goes.  They not only wanted to compete this year, but they wanted to compete while salvaging Zach.  Only way that works is if Rodgers doesn't get hurt.  It blew up in their face.  The only thing that can save them is that this happened so early.  Rodgers hasn't played enough snaps to lose them their top trade chip, and they're still well within the trade deadline window.

I think what JD and company do here will tell us a lot about their job security.  If they bring in a guy from the scrap heap to take over for Zach, we know their jobs are safe.  If they trade a 1st or anything of high value for Cousins, it probably means they know their jobs are on the line.  This week will tell us a lot, IMO.  

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

The last one, is literally, no hyperbole, the easiest read in all of Football, it's wide ass open and he checks down w/ perfect protection.  It's his ******* best player, 1on1, near side for **** sake. 

You cant run a successful offense, no matter how good or bad the OC is w/ Zach Wilson.  He is by far, the worst QB I've ever seen given this much opportunity.  He is horrendous.  He is not an NFL QB.  He knows it.  This humiliation cant be fun for him or his family.  I'm actually kind of shocked he hasnt faked an injury or something to get off the field. 

And yet the idiot Saleh will start him again next week. It's mind boggling. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

The last one, is literally, no hyperbole, the easiest read in all of Football, it's wide ass open and he checks down w/ perfect protection.  It's his ******* best player, 1on1, near side for **** sake. 

You cant run a successful offense, no matter how good or bad the OC is w/ Zach Wilson.  He is by far, the worst QB I've ever seen given this much opportunity.  He is horrendous.  He is not an NFL QB.  He knows it.  This humiliation cant be fun for him or his family.  I'm actually kind of shocked he hasnt faked an injury or something to get off the field. 

I couldnt agree more with everything you said.  He is beyond atrocious - he cannot function at even a poor level, thats how bad yesterday was.

Speaking of GW in particular - cant the coaches tell zach that if he sees single coverage, you go to garret no matter what?  He is good enough to beat most CBs and unless an elite CB is on him, has a greater then 50% chance of making a catch or drawing a penalty?  Its a common plan of attack for teams like the Vikings with JJ or the Raiders last night with Davonte.  

22 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

lol it's hard to dumb it down any lower then crossing patterns 5 yards out,  yet still somehow not seeing it.  I'm 100% convinced that it doesn't matter what they called for Zach, he would have struggled.  His confidence(or lack thereof) had him second guessing reads, panicking after his 1st or 2nd read, starting to scramble even when there wasn't any pressure.  He's just broken.  

They're never going to publicly admit he's not a good QB.  They invested a 2nd overall into him and the hope was that getting stapled to the bench behind Rodgers could fix him.  They probably also thought that there would be no coming back from dropping him to #3(not dressing), as far as his confidence goes.  They not only wanted to compete this year, but they wanted to compete while salvaging Zach.  Only way that works is if Rodgers doesn't get hurt.  It blew up in their face.  The only thing that can save them is that this happened so early.  Rodgers hasn't played enough snaps to lose them their top trade chip, and they're still well within the trade deadline window.

I think what JD and company do here will tell us a lot about their job security.  If they bring in a guy from the scrap heap to take over for Zach, we know their jobs are safe.  If they trade a 1st or anything of high value for Cousins, it probably means they know their jobs are on the line.  This week will tell us a lot, IMO.  

Oh i think you are right, it might have been hard for him, even if they did call simpler plays. But they didnt even try, they are running it as if he is a decent qb which he is not. He can suck and coaching can also not be helping him. 

Its not hard to dumb it down really. Plays with less reads, play action, roll outs etc. 

I think Saleh Job shoudl be on the line after weeks 2 and 3. I mean they literally are hanging the team out to dry here. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not sure, but if I had to guess i would guess that team Zach blames everything and everyone but his inability to play the position. But yeah, he looks like a WO going in after the QB1 and QB2 went down. uhhhh, errrrrr, only worse. He plays QB like going down a waterslide backwards.