Washington Commanders Captain Jonathan Allen on Carson Wentz “One of the best teammates Ive ever had”

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He is a street free agent that is probably going to be looking for $20-30M

I was thinking the same re Ryan. These guys know they’ll be coming here to start and want more than leftover-pile starter money.

I think there’s some assumption that, just by virtue of being unemployed right now, these guys will take anything over nothing. Meanwhile a few million more, for those who’ve made so much like they have, is hardly worth the risk of serious injury. Not counting any endorsements, Wentz has made nearly $130MM and Ryan over $300MM. They’re not coming here for $5MM to start 13+ games. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Do we not remember the locker room revolting last year with Wilson. Nothing like that has ever happened with Wentz.

Like I said - I would absolutely sign wentz. He’s young and the highest upside QB currently available. 

I’m just saying that the dirt on him must be pretty bad for him not to be on a team right now 

Wentz is bottom-barrel trash at this point, a .500 type guy at his top end best, but he's still a clear upgrade over Zach Wilson.

But clearly, JD, in his wisdom, prefers Zach.  Probably now for the tankathon for a Rodgers-led 2024.

28 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I was thinking the same re Ryan. These guys know they’ll be coming here to start and want more than leftover-pile starter money.

I think there’s some assumption that, just by virtue of being unemployed right now, these guys will take anything over nothing. Meanwhile a few million more, for those who’ve made so much like they have, is hardly worth the risk of serious injury. Not counting any endorsements, Wentz has made nearly $130MM and Ryan over $300MM. They’re not coming here for $5MM to start 13+ games. 

Yeah.  Washington gave him $28M just last year.  The Colts had given him $21M in 2021.  Ryan made about $19M from the Colts, but that was the end of a $150M deal he signed with Atlanta in 2018.  That deal was cheap enough that it rated a 3rd rounder.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Wentz is bottom-barrel trash at this point, a .500 type guy at his top end best, but he's still a clear upgrade over Zach Wilson.

But clearly, JD, in his wisdom, prefers Zach.  Probably now for the tankathon for a Rodgers-led 2024.

I don’t think he “prefers” Zach; he sees the results like everyone and it does him no more good to double down on him than demote him like the 2-year plan called for in the first place.

More likely, he’s making a calculation of cap space vs draft picks (Wentz/Ryan vs Cousins), since Cousins would be ~$8MM the rest of the way and Wentz could be demanding 2-3x that too a desperate team.

Siemian was - I hope - brought in as another possible option for the backup job (i.e. When Zach gets demoted, he’s dropping from 1 to 3, or even possibly IR’ing him, not back to QB2. Seems they’re uncomfortable enough with Boyle to not pull Zach no matter how many drives had stalled. That one could be like the past Sanchez/Tebow situation, when no one (myself included lol) accepted Rex’s answer of Sanchez giving them the best chance to win, without elaborating in a rare bout of Rex class to not announce that Tebow is as useless as a footless woman to him, save a trick play here out there; basically like Streveler plus some sports celebrity status.

Again, I hope. ;) 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You might be exactly right but couldn’t it be possible that since Wentz is set for life it now would be about proving he could be great again. If he had a great year the big contract would probably be there as well next year. I think he might take 5 million to rehabilitate his career. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Wentz is 30 years old. He's ******* younger than Siemian. "At this point?" 

At least Wentz went 11-2 before he got injured in the Super Bowl year. Yes it's true that Foles took over after the injury and won the Super Bowl, so clearly the team has tremendous talent. But at least we know that he has the ability to win when surrounded by talent. We know what Zach Wilson does with Garrett Wilson, Breece Hall, Cook, several accomplished but old guys who at the very least are capable route runners, etc, a pretty damn strong defense, etc. He gets embarrassed. 

Our offensive line is pretty sh*tty too. Honestly it probably would have been out downfall this year even if Rodgers were healthy. But we aren't even trying to at least compete at this point.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

Nobody knows what he did or said that blackballed him. 

But everybody keeps rolling with the narrative and never questions it.

Anyone?

I know there is alot of people feeding the bullsh*t narrative, so come on and tell me what he did or said...

37 minutes ago, docdhc said:

You might be exactly right but couldn’t it be possible that since Wentz is set for life it now would be about proving he could be great again. If he had a great year the big contract would probably be there as well next year. I think he might take 5 million to rehabilitate his career. 

Couldn’t be. Could also be that he wasn’t blackballed so much as maybe he just priced himself far higher than anyone was willing to pay and one at a time teams told him what he could do with that. 

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Do we not remember the locker room revolting last year with Wilson. Nothing like that has ever happened with Wentz.

Not true.  Indianapolis was a mess in 2021 because of Wentz.  Colts GM Chris Ballard was on record saying the Colts would have moved on from Wentz even if he  didn't crap the bed and lose the last two games to miss the playoffs.  

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

numerous players and coaches have come forward taking Wentz back claiming all that negative talk about him was bullsh*t

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Rep said:

Wentz is 30 years old. He's ******* younger than Siemian. "At this point?" 

At least Wentz went 11-2 before he got injured in the Super Bowl year. Yes it's true that Foles took over after the injury and won the Super Bowl, so clearly the team has tremendous talent. But at least we know that he has the ability to win when surrounded by talent. We know what Zach Wilson does with Garrett Wilson, Breece Hall, Cook, several accomplished but old guys who at the very least are capable route runners, etc, a pretty damn strong defense, etc. He gets embarrassed. 

Our offensive line is pretty sh*tty too. Honestly it probably would have been out downfall this year even if Rodgers were healthy. But we aren't even trying to at least compete at this point.

That was 6 years and three teams ago for Wentz.  Just stop. Would he be an upgrade over Wilson. Yes.  Is he the QB messiah. No Not even close.  The Jets are not a playoff team with Wentz.  Just like Philly, Indy and Washington weren't with him either.  

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I’d sign him in a nanosecond, but to be fair, there is a lot of negative stuff out there about Wentz.

there is a reason he’s not in a locker room right now 

All that negative sh*t has been put to bed. the negative sh*t came from an idiot reporter who probably pissed off Wentz and got an ear full 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

That was 6 years and three teams ago for Wentz.  Just stop. Would he be an upgrade over Wilson. Yes.  Is he the QB messiah. No Not even close.  The Jets are not a playoff team with Wentz.  Just like Philly, Indy and Washington weren't with him either.  

He won 9 games with Indy. Plenty in Philly. It’s a no brainer for 1 season on an incentive deal. He’s the best quarterback available by far.

• Post of the Week 1

I have no doubt that he is completely unbearable to be around but it's the NFL, they'll hire anyone if they can play. I think he's unsigned because in addition to being unbearable, his last year with the Colts it looked like his entire body had been shot up with Novacaine before kickoff. 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He won 9 games with Indy. Plenty in Philly. It’s a no brainer for 1 season on an incentive deal. He’s the best quarterback available by far.

I'm not denying he's the best option in the trash heap of unsigned QBs.  How much do you pay him though?  Are the Jets going to pay $80-90 million to QBs in 2023 to win 7-8 games?  Because that is what is going to happen with Wentz.  He is a .500 QB on a good team who can't win a big game.  So the Jets might be respectable with him, but that's the high water mark.  There's a reason he's sitting on his couch while a bunch of no-names, has beens, and never will bes are on NFL rosters right now and it's not because 32 GMs are stupid.  And it's not because of some conspiracy against Wentz either.  

1 hour ago, Rep said:

Wentz is 30 years old.

I never referenced his age, only the low quality of his most recent play.

1 hour ago, Rep said:

He's ******* younger than Siemian. "At this point?"

Yes, at this point.  As in, Sept. 26, 2023. 

Not sure what Sim's age has to do with my comment, I don't support that signing in any way.

1 hour ago, Rep said:

At least Wentz went 11-2 before he got injured in the Super Bowl year.

Alot changes in 6 years in NFL time.  Especially with injuries.

1 hour ago, Rep said:

But at least we know that he has the ability to win when surrounded by talent.

In 2023?  Do we? 

That's a presumption not supported by his most recent play, on a team not terribly dissimilar to this one, as it turns out.

1 hour ago, Rep said:

We know what Zach Wilson does with Garrett Wilson, Breece Hall, Cook, several accomplished but old guys who at the very least are capable route runners, etc, a pretty damn strong defense, etc. He gets embarrassed.

As I said, he's still a clear upgrade over Zach Wilson.

1 hour ago, Rep said:

Our offensive line is pretty sh*tty too. Honestly it probably would have been out downfall this year even if Rodgers were healthy.

If you say so.

1 hour ago, Rep said:

But we aren't even trying to at least compete at this point.

I agree.  We're not even trying at the QB position.