Any chance Robert Saleh could leave the Jets for Michigan State?

Keep an eye on this. Reading through Spartan message boards a lot of people think MSU is going to make a big run at him. They did formally request to interview him back in 2020 before settling on Mel Tucker and Saleh turned it down. 

I actually think Coach Saleh would make a pretty good college coach like his idol Pete Carroll. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

Aaron Rodgers would have to answer this question. If he wants Saleh back, he will be back regardless of what happens the rest of the way.

This is exactly right. You’d also have to stick the new coach with a Hackett. And we wouldn’t get a real credible coach coming to a team that has a one year window. Unless somehow they have the first overall pick and the new coach has Caleb Williams in his back pocket. In the end, Rodgers is not gonna want to start over with a new coach. He likes Saleh because the reality is it’s Rodgers team. If we had a coach that had a big time personality, they would clash, but with Saleh, Rodgers can run the show.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Starfox said:

Keep an eye on this. Reading through Spartan message boards a lot of people think MSU is going to make a big run at him. They did formally request to interview him back in 2020 before settling on Mel Tucker and Saleh turned it down. 

I actually think Coach Saleh would make a pretty good college coach like his idol Pete Carroll. 

He's a Northern Michigan University guy - unless my fellow Yooper Tom Izzo recruits him I don't see it happening. I'm in Metro Detroit and haven't heard a peep. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

He's not leaving. Learn to love him.

If this season ends in a top 5 pick, he’s gone. You can give him a pass for missing the playoffs with Rodgers going down but he can’t get the pass if this roster ends the season with 3-5 wins. If he doesn’t at least get this team to 7-8 wins, there is a really good chance he gets sh*t canned.

30 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

More money probably. Did he ever finish his house in Jersey?

Mel Tucker signed a 10 year $95 million contract with MSU. That is double what Saleh is probably making AAV and obviously several multiples of guaranteed money.

If Michigan State wants him he's leaving.

• Upvote 2

• The money and likely lifestyle would be much better for Saleh at MSU.
  • He has a personality for a college coach.
  • He likely has family in Michigan.
  • The Jets would release him gladly.  AR8 would be happy with Hackett, etc.   Could probably agree to have Hackett be a short-term HC in a redemption play, with him practically still being AR8's OC.  Woody saves money.  
  • This would be a win-win for everyone.  
  • Upvote 1

Rodgers has stated 1 or 2 more years and made it very clear he came here because of the coach, gm and owner.

If Saleh were to leave, i'm not sure Rodgers takes his ball and goes home but you never know.

My gut tells me the entire regime is back with a hopefully healthy Rodgers for the next 2 years.

As dismall as this season is early, you can't predict or prevent injuries. It happens 

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Aaron Rodgers would have to answer this question. If he wants Saleh back, he will be back regardless of what happens the rest of the way.

Any insight into his feelings about Saleh?

Is AR8 presenting his short list of HC replacements to Woody or signing off on Saleh’s return next year?

1 hour ago, LockeJET said:

This is exactly right. You’d also have to stick the new coach with a Hackett. And we wouldn’t get a real credible coach coming to a team that has a one year window. Unless somehow they have the first overall pick and the new coach has Caleb Williams in his back pocket. In the end, Rodgers is not gonna want to start over with a new coach. He likes Saleh because the reality is it’s Rodgers team. If we had a coach that had a big time personality, they would clash, but with Saleh, Rodgers can run the show.

Think they would promote Hackett to head coach.

34 minutes ago, Starfox said:

This whole thing sounds very dysfunctional.

Of course it is very dysfunctional.  It is the Jets under Woody.  

Chris Johnson tried to build a new, quality, "no short-cut" organization with JD and Saleh.   They made a lot of mistakes, mostly in drafting.  FAs are always risky, but too many of the draft picks were epically, franchise damaging bad.

Woody, in an attempt to create a spark, encouraged/pressured JD to sign onto the AR8 Program, and bring in his cronies, etc.  Saleh went along with it.   Why not? If it worked it would have gotten him job security and probably an extension.  

I did not work in year 1. which likely will be fatal for at least Saleh.  

There is no ready made successor QB for the Jets after the AR8 Project ends.  They tried to sell Zach Wilson as that, but he will never be it.  He will go down as as Ryan Leaf level failure.  

• Upvote 1