Becton's First Game Back to LT - Every Pass Snap

Besides getting dog walked by Judon on the Safety I thought Becton played decent at LT.......

He def should be the LT moving forward....Brown can collect a check for the rest of the season

The question becomes does he play himself into being franchised at the end of the season? I doubt he gets offered a long-term extension at this point if things go well. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Besides getting dog walked by Judon on the Safety I thought Becton played decent at LT.......

He def should be the LT moving forward....Brown can collect a check for the rest of the season

The question becomes does he play himself into being franchised at the end of the season? I doubt he gets offered a long-term extension at this point if things go well. 

franchised....lol. that's highly unlikely

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

highly unlikely? why do you say that?

Assuming he has a good season it seems like the most likely thing to happen to me. You can let him walk, sign him to a long term deal or franchise him for 1 year while you have Aaron Rodgers.

because he will likely never be worth the franchise tag at LT. i guess he can prove me wrong and we will see....but i just think it's very unlikely. he's just not a good LT....never mind being worth a franchise tag at the position

1 minute ago, neckdemon said:

idk.....it's too bad we didn't draft penei sewell and give darnold one more year instead of drafting the waste of soace we have at qb right now

Typical Jets blunder....there were a few players there that would be night and day better for us....even if JD still wanted to trade Darnold and sign a stopgap QB to start (Which is what I wanted, I never wanted to draft Zach) 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

because he will likely never be worth the franchise tag at LT. i guess he can prove me wrong and we will see....but i just think it's very unlikely. he's just not a good LT....never mind being worth a franchise tag at the position

The problem w/Becton has not been his ability, it's been availability. He had a few bad snaps in the Pats game but was mostly good and will likely improve as he gets comfortable back out there at LT. People act like he's a turnstyle out there - not even close.

I doubt they let him walk if he has a good year and stays healthy.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Typical Jets blunder....there were a few players there that would be night and day better for us....even if JD still wanted to trade Darnold and sign a stopgap QB to start (Which is what I wanted, I never wanted to draft Zach) 

i wanted penei sewell.....i was pissed we drafted wilson. you have a great oline you can have a great offense....it all starts there. instead we drafted one of the worst jets qbs ever

• Upvote 2

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

The problem w/Becton has not been his ability, it's been availability. He had a few bad snaps in the Pats game but was mostly good and will likely improve as he gets comfortable back out there at LT.

I doubt they let him walk if he has a good year and stays healthy.

no it's been ability also. he is a fairly decent run blocker. but he has been mostly ass at pass blocking. remains to be seen if he turns that around because he is gonna have that chance now. you wanna assume he plays well enough to get the franchise tag? have at it. i'm gonna assume the opposite. that he is mostly mediocre with the pass blocking still being an issue

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

no it's been ability also. he is a fairly decent run blocker. but he has been mostly ass at pass blocking. remains to be seen if he turns that around because he is gonna have that chance now. you wanna assume he plays well enough to get the franchise tag? have at it. i'm gonna assume the opposite. that he is mostly mediocre with the pass blocking still being an issue

I disagree he's been "mostly ass" at pass blocking. As a rookie he was shutting down some big time pass rushers. He wasn't perfect and had a few bad games against speed rushers but I think there's a lot of revisionist history that happened once he hit the run of injuries.

Are you looking at this video and saying it was a "mostly ass" performance? I see some up and down and he needs to improve but these are his first live snaps at LT in 2 years.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

I disagree he's been "mostly ass" at pass blocking. As a rookie he was shutting down some big time pass rushers. He wasn't perfect and had a few bad games against speed rushers but I think there's a lot of revisionist history that happened once he hit the run of injuries.

Are you looking at this video and saying it was a "mostly ass" performance? I see some up and down and he needs to improve but these are his first live snaps at LT in 2 years.

i hope you are right. ihope you plays himself into a franchise tag. it would be a great thing for the team. we would have 3 of 5 linemen set for next year (tippman, becton and AVT). i don't see it happening, but man i hope i eat crow by ttrhe end of the year about it

6 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

I don’t think it’s remotely true that he’s been “mostly ass” as a pass blocker. Do you have any data to back up that claim? 

My memory of his rookie year is that he was pretty good in pass protection and had some very good days against top pass rushers. And this year, he’s been fine in pass protection. 

please point me towards an analysis of his play that supports your assertion that he’s been a bad pass blocker. 

his issue has been an inability to stay on the field. 

• Upvote 3

The Franchise Tag for Becton could be too much for one year, but it could also be a limited one year contract to match Rodgers one year contract.  Let them both walk in 2025 and reboot.  

We save $8mm on the cap by letting Tomlinson go next year (with a $10 dead money cap hit(!?)).  

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'd say not bad, not great either. Room for improvement.

His punch is slow and weak, which forces him to reach. It also puts him in the position of having to react as opposed to dictating with his mass. For now he gets away with it due to his light feet, but eventually it will ruin his back and lead to more lower extremity injuries. Needs to work on that in the offseason

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Franchise Tag for Becton could be too much for one year, but it could also be a limited one year contract to match Rodgers one year contract.  Let them both walk in 2025 and reboot.  

We save $8mm on the cap by letting Tomlinson go next year (with a $10 dead money cap hit(!?)).  

• Offensive line: $18.24 million

These are the projected FA LT's in 2024

image.png.642d2898397a45c2d944a3a72b034e2e.png

I'll bet you Tyron Smith never hits FA and also gets more than $18.24 mil/year.

Your only other option is to draft a guy and start him right away with 40 year old Rodgers coming off an Achilles.

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'd say not bad, not great either. Room for improvement.

Besides Becton when is McGovern going to learn to stop doubling guys that are already blocked ? He consistently leaves the middle wide open by doing that and that's what Parsons exploited.

Becton is still bad in pass protection 

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

The numbers are all fungible, though. Tippmann's cap number is $2MM and AVT's $5MM. If AVT was $16MM and Tippman $10MM, and Becton could be tagged for $4MM then nobody would raise an eyebrow at it, even if the cumulative cost for the trio would be the same $30MM. 

Remove a bunch of this year's significant payouts as well, whether from the OL or not: Brown's $9MM, Tomlinson's $13MM, Mosley's $17MM, Uzomah's $8MM, Lawson's $9MM, Cook's $7MM... 

If his pay is in theory some $10MM too high for one year, it means Douglas has to be more disciplined in not throwing stupid money at older veterans (like the above group) who just aren't worth even half what they're paid. 

Also there's the option of transition tagging Becton, since I'd expect a wide disparity between what he thinks he could get and what the Jets think his lock-him-up number should be. It'd save $2MM over the franchise tag. No, they wouldn't get a pick in return (other than the future comp pick, which should be a 3rd rounder), but since no one's forking over a 1st rounder - let alone 2 of them - to sign Becton away to a monster-sized deal anyway, that return-pick disparity is imaginary anyway. Meanwhile the Jets would retain the same first-refusal rights, so they don't have to worry about outbidding against themselves if Becton plays hardball (as I expect he would); just match the highest offer. If he plays the whole way out & doesn't land on IR, Becton will still have a hard time convincing other teams he's worth more than the $16MM Orlando Brown just got from Cleveland with 2 yrs fully guaranteed at signing, after playing one full season in the prior three.

26 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Draft a LT in the top 3, Becton back to RT, AVT back to guard, Tippman at C. Means you just have to fill the other G spot.

Wherever their slot ends up being I think this is the best plan, taking as a given that - with Rodgers returning, and having no 2nd rounder after that - they're just not taking a QB in round 1. Filling one guard slot in FA should hardly be an Everest to climb. 

If not Becton at RT, then a rookie can play that side & Bakhtiari wouldn't cost more than Becton's franchise tag amount anyway, if he is unreasonable in his multi-year demands. He's already on IR, though, expected to miss a month. Again. So I therefore expect GB to let him go and the Jets to sign him, lol.  

Also points for sneaking G spot into your post. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Draft a LT in the top 3, Becton back to RT, AVT back to guard, Tippman at C. Means you just have to fill the other G spot.

And QB.

Franchising Becton is the best thing for the organization to do as this is not only a deep QB class but a great draft in general which will allow you to get an elite QB at 3 if we really suck or a good QB in the 10-15 range that would normally go top 5 just out of need. 

We have to hope that guys like Mitchell and Warren develop to some level to hold down RT and swing tackle unless AVT is staying at RT then all we need to do is find servicable guards which you can do in free agency every year. 

What I see in those tapes is a lot of poor communication between the OL players. Do I remember correctly that I read somewhere that there was some flack between the OL and the OL coach? The former just might be a matter of just playing together more in the same positions, but the latter might be that there's some underlying schema being pushed on them that they don't like or feel comfortable with.