Bill Parcells, When Asked If He Would've Drafted Peyton Manning If Peyton Entered The Draft After His Junior Year

TuscanyTile2

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He said he’d have drafted Peyton Manning, as everyone around Peyton has also claimed. Peyton went back to school because Archie didn’t want him to play in New York. 

He was such an egomaniac that even though he knew he would draft Peyton #1, he wouldn’t give Peyton the satisfaction of confirming it to him ahead of the draft. 

The NY nonsense is revisionist history at best, gross disingenuousness at worst. See: ‘what Archie did to get Eli to NY just a few short years later’ as exhibit A.

Smh, your hero who doesn’t have a single playoff win to his credit without Belichick as his D coordinator, cost us a chance at a Peyton-Belichick led dynasty. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

He was such an egomaniac that even though he knew he would draft Peyton #1, he wouldn’t give Peyton the satisfaction of confirming it to him ahead of the draft. 

The NY nonsense is revisionist history at best, gross disingenuousness at worst. See: ‘what Archie did to get Eli to NY just a few short years later’ as exhibit A.

Smh, your hero who doesn’t have a single playoff win to his credit without Belichick as his D coordinator, cost us a chance at a Peyton-Belichick led dynasty. 

This video is the first time I've ever seen this topic actually addressed by the people in question.  If you have anything beyond conjecture about this topic (e.g. articles, videos, etc) please post it.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

When asked to compare Eli’s personality to Peyton’s, Archie said that Eli was more laid back and would be able to handle New York, whereas Peyton was more uptight and would not have handled New York as well. Good day, Sir. I SAID GOOD DAY, SIR. 

• Haha 3

I'll say it again, he did more to keep the Jets down than almost anyone. Because of his ego he cost us one of the greatest QBs of all time and at least a couple of Super Bowls. All he had to do was tell the Mannings he was going to pick him. 

And he also was making fun of the Jets on a show after he retire. He clearly loved the Giants and never thought highly of the Jets. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

When asked to compare Eli’s personality to Peyton’s, Archie said that Eli was more laid back and would be able to handle New York, whereas Peyton was more uptight and would not have handled New York as well. Good day, Sir. I SAID GOOD DAY, SIR. 

Ever see the video of Peyton getting pranked at a press conference by Scoops Callahan? Zero sense of humor. Got angry. Total bundle of sticks.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

I'll say it again, he did more to keep the Jets down than almost anyone. Because of his ego he cost us one of the greatest QBs of all time and at least a couple of Super Bowls. All he had to do was tell the Mannings he was going to pick him. 

At the time I didn’t feel that bad about Parcells rebuffing the Mannings because I thought we were going to draft Orlando Pace he was a lock superstar Left Tackle and our OL was horrific.

there was no internet back then, no phones, I didn’t find out what happened until I got to a tv at around 4pm I anxiously was looking at the ticker waiting to see if we had drafted Pace #1 and the thing just kept moving and moving and moving until I saw James freaking Farrior at 16

1D2F5FBD-0909-46A9-83B9-A414E3C990E0.thumb.jpeg.450d935e64a6b3018ee107845aa07140.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

True enough that parcells was egomaniac but there’s nothing that says manning would have come to the jets even if they were going to pick him first. Archie was really involved with Peyton’s career decisions and didn’t want him thrown into a hapless team situation that he was in down in New Orleans.

I give credit to parcells for giving the jets three good years of coaching but also discredit him for leaving and then coming back to coach the cowgirls.  He, and the bellichicken for that matter, could have been jets coaches for woody.  Bellichicken would’ve been coach easily for five seasons.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

This again?   How many times does this need to be brought up?!?  

And all those ripping Parcells obviously weren’t around the 25 yrs prior to Parcells. 

I only brought it up because there has been a ton of conjecture about this (@Sperm Edwards, for example) but it's the first time I've ever seen the question addressed by someone who was actually related to the situation.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

And all those ripping Parcells obviously weren’t around the 25 yrs prior to Parcells. 

How does that make it alrigh? I was around before Parcells and he was a great coach. He also was behind one of the biggest blunders in Jets history - you can't make an argument that refutes that. All he had to do was tell Archie that his son was going to be picked first. He wouldn't do it so Manning stayed in college. People that love Parcells don't include all he did wrong off the field. He played a part in Belichick leaving the Jets only to terrorize us for decades with the Cheats. He didn't want Parcells looking over his shoulder all the time - and the ownership was uncertain, so they both played a part in it. Imagine Belichick with Manning for a solid 15 years? It would not have taken much for that to have happened. We were in the drivers seat for both of them at one time.I still think if Parcells left the team Belichick would have been the coach. 

We had some really good teams in the 80s - way more entertaining than some of the other solid teams. Sack Exchange and a high flying offense - so 25 years prior is a gross exaggeration. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Greensleeves said:

How does that make it alrigh? I was around before Parcells and he was a great coach. He also was behind one of the biggest blunders in Jets history - you can't make an argument that refutes that. All he had to do was tell Archie that his son was going to be picked first. He wouldn't do it so Manning stayed in college. People that love Parcells don't include all he did wrong off the field. He played a part in Belichick leaving the Jets only to terrorize us for decades with the Cheats. He didn't want Parcells looking over his shoulder all the time - and the ownership was uncertain, so they both played a part in it. Imagine Belichick with Manning for a solid 15 years? It would not have taken much for that to have happened. We were in the drivers seat for both of them at one time.I still think if Parcells left the team Belichick would have been the coach. 

This is the rumor I've heard for a long time but do you have any proof of it?

So far, the only thing I've actually heard is the video I posted above (where BP says he would've taken Peyton).  Obviously, it's possible that BP is lying, but this is still the first time I've actually seen anyone who was related to the situation actually comment on it.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

25 Years? The Jets were up and down but pretty competitive in the late 70's and 80's. That was the Jets team of my youth. 2 AFCCG's, multiple playoff runs, etc.

Led by the New York Sack Exchange, they made the playoffs in 1981, 1982, 1985 and 1986.

In 1985, O’Brien became the first Jets’ quarterback to lead the NFL in passing, earning him his first of two Pro Bowl trips. O’Brien finished his Jets career with the most completions in team history with 2,039.

Joe Klecko became a HOF'er based on his play in the 1980's. Klecko received four Pro Bowl invitations, had 77 career sacks, and was a dynamic member of the New York Sack Exchange.

Walker led the NFL with 21.1 yards per catch in 1977. Then, in 1978, he caught 48 passes for 1,169 yards, 24.4 yards per reception and scored eight touchdowns. Both his receiving yards and yards per catch led the NFL. His reward was a Pro Bowl invitation and a first-team All-NFL selection.

Walker was the No. 1 target for Ken O’Brien and proved to be an all-time great Jet. When he retired, he had caught 438 passes for 8,306 yards and 71 touchdowns.

Freeman McNeil was a workhorse out of the backfield. With the exception of Curtis Martin, he is considered the best running back in Jets history.

Mark Gastineau earned five consecutive Pro Bowl invitations from 1981 to 1985 and three consecutive first-team All-NFL selections from 1982 to 1984. Gastineau ranks among the greatest Jets desfesive players of all time; his ability to get after the quarterback was second to none. He holds the Jets record for career sacks with 107 and held the NFL record for most sacks in a single season

The narrative of the Jets sucking forever is BS.

The Period from 1979 - 1993 is arguably the Golden Age of Jets Football. Outside of Namath selling his soul to the Devil for the most fluke-ish championship in NFL history and then the 1998 Season, when Parcells sold the teams future down the river for a shot, and then ran when things got tough (The man in the mirror told him to quit, and then go work for Jerruh Jones), that was it. That period is why there even ARE "Jets Fans". 

2009-2011 was a ******* fever dream of mercenaries and luck. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This is the rumor I've heard for a long time but do you have any proof of it?

So far, the only thing I've actually heard is the video I posted above (where BP says he would've taken Peyton).  Obviously, it's possible that BP is lying, but this is still the first time I've actually seen anyone who was related to the situation actually comment on it.

IIRC - players had to declare around Jan 15th. Parcells said he couldn’t guarantee he’d take Peyton by Jan 15 just in case another franchise made him an unbelievable offer for the 1st pick

And before people say it’s Peyton F’in Manning. There was serious talk the following season who would go first between Manning & Leaf. 

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I only brought it up because there has been a ton of conjecture about this (@Sperm Edwards, for example) but it's the first time I've ever seen the question addressed by someone who was actually related to the situation.

Both Archie and Peyton were on the record saying it wasn’t the case. Peyton wanted to win a National Championship before leaving school and, being rich as sh*t already, came back for his senior year. Archie and Parcells had known each other for 30 years. The story that Parcells wouldn’t give the Mannings prior notice emanated from an off-handed comment from Peyton’s mother that @Savage69 (RIP) would bring up whenever the topic came up. 

The thing people forget about Manning is that he was a legendary choke artist who didn’t even get a Super Bowl until his ninth year in the league, and even then he beat the lowly Rex Grossman and Lovie Smith Bears. He was a pick machine besides and didn’t make an All Pro team until Year Six. He was 6-13 lifetime vs Belichick in the regular season. Jets fans would have run him out of the city before his second contract. 

IMG_4411.jpeg

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The thing people forget about Manning is that he was a legendary choke artist who didn’t even get a Super Bowl until his ninth year in the league, and even then he beat the lowly Rex Grossman and Lovie Smith Bears. He was a pick machine besides and didn’t make an All Pro team until Year Six. He was 6-13 lifetime vs Belichick in the regular season. Jets fans would have run him out of the city before his second contract. 

IMG_4411.jpeg

Very few teams were knocking off the Patriots in the AFC those years.  The Colts and Steelers seemed to be the only ones who occasionally popped their heads up (and one of those times was when Brady was knocked out for the season).

But there's no doubt Jets fans would have had no stomach for 28 INTs in a rookie season.  Current Jets coaching would have handcuffed him into being a Checkdown Charlie and handoff machine.  You can see the NY Post now, "What happened to Peyton Manning?" with a video showing all of his success at BYU Tennessee juxtaposed against his failures in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

IMG_4411.jpeg

I do wonder how playing outdoors (instead of in the Colts' dome) would've affected his play.  I guess he did have one great year with the Broncos so maybe that concern is unfounded.

Peyton ended up 2-2 vs the Pats in post-season in his career, though one of those win was with Denver.

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/tom-brady-vs-peyton-manning-the-complete-playoff-history-01dmqhsqvjyb

20 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Unfortunately, it seems that Archie has counseled his sons pretty well.  Eli, Peyton and their 4 Super Bowl rings (and 6 Super Bowl appearances) seem to have landed in spots that worked for them.  Meanwhile, Sanchez, Darnold, Wilson and Philip Rivers have never sniffed the stadium on a Super Bowl Sunday.

ArchManning.jpg.b60a13ea0b0827510d700700195221d6.jpg

• Haha 1