Economics decide how valuable HCs and QBs are

Mentioned these points in another thread and my narcissistic self felt it was thread-worthy:

Kyle Shanahan is objectively an offensive genius on the level of Andy Reid.

But there’s also a reason why Shanahan is (on estimate) merely the 11th highest-paid employee on the 49ers.  And there isn’t a cap on coach salaries.  

Granted, coaches last a lot longer in this league than players, of course.  So Shanahan will end up making more money from the 49ers than all but a handful of his current players when all is said and done.  But you get the point.  

Meanwhile, 16 of the 17 highest-paid employees in the league are QBs.  The other is Nick Bosa, who is paid $34M per to hit the other QB.

This game is more about the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s than the X’s and O’s.  These are professionals.  Coaching SHOULD matter less than talent as you advance in the game.

And a coach’s ceiling in this league is primarily limited by however good his QB is.  

The market has decided that QBs are more important than HCs, because the latter can’t succeed without at least a passable QB, whereas plenty of great QBs have succeeded with meh coaches. 

This assumption that a great HC can mold ANY QB is severely flawed, yet it continues to run rampant on JN.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Mentioned these points in another thread and my narcissistic self felt it was thread-worthy:

Kyle Shanahan is objectively an offensive genius on the level of Andy Reid.

But there’s also a reason why Shanahan is (on estimate) merely the 11th highest-paid employee on the 49ers.  And there isn’t a cap on coach salaries.  

Granted, coaches last a lot longer in this league than players, of course.  So Shanahan will end up making more money from the 49ers than all but a handful of his current players when all is said and done.  But you get the point.  

Meanwhile, 16 of the 17 highest-paid employees in the league are QBs.  The other is Nick Bosa, who is paid $34M per to hit the other QB.

This game is more about the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s than the X’s and O’s.  These are professionals.  Coaching SHOULD matter less than talent as you advance in the game.

And a coach’s ceiling in this league is primarily limited by however good his QB is.  

The market has decided that QBs are more important than HCs, because the latter can’t succeed without at least a passable QB, whereas plenty of great QBs have succeeded with meh coaches. 

This assumption that a great HC can mold ANY QB is severely flawed, yet it continues to run rampant on JN.  

Nothing new here .. but I agree with everything you said.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not to get involved in between your lovers spat here, but my vote is "romantic bickering".

Just saying.  

18 years of posting almost daily.  Lots of old married couple vibes with several posters here, lol.  And I’m not the only one!  

• Haha 1