Emotional Saleh speaks

Bronx

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I like him as a HC. He’s not some once in a lifetime HOF brilliant mind but he’s a good coach and made some solid strides since his first year. 

The team did play for him even when down 17-0.  But I still think he's a cheerleader.  He coaches too conservatively (though. to a degree, it's understandable).  I think he needs to lay into the refs more.  The Jets have been walked all over by the refs for a while now.  0 roughing the passer calls have gone in our favor all of last year and, so far, all of this year too.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Gutless call to kick a fg at the end of the half.  This was not the guy I thought we were getting.

okay, so you go for it.  you have to make it - and then you still aren't really in scoring TD territory.  Originally i thought similar but came around.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

I like him as a HC. He’s not some once in a lifetime HOF brilliant mind but he’s a good coach and made some solid strides since his first year. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I really like Saleh, just seems like such a genuinely great leader.  I question some his decisions but he’s got the make up and character you love to see from a leader. 

My guys.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Gutless call to kick a fg at the end of the half.  This was not the guy I thought we were getting.

I think kicking the FG made sense because we were getting the ball to start the second half and because, even if you convert the 4th and 1, with 30ish seconds left, you are likely only getting 3 anyway. 

• Upvote 1

Personally I like Saleh, but he is in way over his head as a HC. This is a guy who has lost 9 of his last 10 games. Ask yourselves an honest question..over the 17 game schedule, how many times do we have the coaching edge? Maybe twice? He adds nothing once the game starts. Problem is, since Woody sold the team to AR, we are stuck with Ssleh unless AR wants him  gone. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

41 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

His explanation of that made 100% sense.

There was 30 seconds left.  Go for it on a 4th and 1 so that maybe you get a bit closer for the same FG attempt you were about to take, or risk turning it over on downs to KC?  Try to get the 3 there or get the 3 a couple plays later?  The biggest problem was Greg the Peg needs to make the damn kick.  If he had then the Jets are leading in the 4th Q.

I think it was a 52 yarder.  That's no gimme.  And he hit the post so it wasn't like it was a terrible kick.  Plus, we're the Jets.  Stuff like that always happens to us no matter what we do - lol.

• Upvote 2

I'm not a huge supporter of his, but I had no problem with kicking that there.

It's within range, if you don't get it, KC has a huge chance to score.  Your kicker just needs to make the kick, and he missed by 6 inches.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The team did play for him even when down 17-0.  But I still think he's a cheerleader.  He coaches too conservatively (though. to a degree, it's understandable).  I think he needs to lay into the refs more.  The Jets have been walked all over by the refs for a while now.  0 roughing the passer calls have gone in our favor all of last year and, so far, all of this year too.

It's about time he went off on the refs. We've been getting jobbed for years and no one from Woody on down ever does anything about it.  Good for him.. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think it was a 52 yarder.  That's no gimme.  And he hit the post so it wasn't like it was a terrible kick.  Plus, we're the Jets.  Stuff like that always happens to us no matter what we do - lol.

So what you’re saying is that we would have went for it on 4th down, not made it, and watched Mahomes get KC into FG range for 3 points of their own at the end of the half and then come here today to…

”Why didn’t the Jets take the FG??? We have Greg the Leg!!!! Jets lose by 3, could have taken shot at FG. FIRE SALEH!!!”

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, section314 said:

Personally I like Saleh, but he is in way over his head as a HC. This is a guy who has lost 9 of his last 10 games. Ask yourselves an honest question..over the 17 game schedule, how many times do we have the coaching edge? Maybe twice? He adds nothing once the game starts. Problem is, since Woody sold the team to AR, we are stuck with Ssleh unless AR wants him  gone. 

That's mind-boggling with this much talent on the roster.

Serious Herm Edwards vibes here -- conservative "play not to lose" / a punt is a successful drive, classic loser-ish passive, defensive-minded HC -- except Herm actually made the playoffs.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

no problem with the FG there. if you hit it its 20-15 with us getting it back in the 2nd half. if you go for it and dont get it a defensive stop like that could shift momentum to KC. 

maybe if Zach plays like this from now on you will see them go for it more but he is still the worst QB in the NFL until he proves he can keep doing what he did last night.

My issue with attempting the long FG there was the extra ten yards you'd be giving KC if you missed it w all that time on the clock and their 2 timeouts left. Which is exactly what happened.

If you go for it and make it, you get a closer kick and leave them no time to anything before the half. And if there is a turnover on downs, KC is 10 yards further away.

Anyway, that was my thought process in the moment last night.

59 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think kicking the FG made sense because we were getting the ball to start the second half and because, even if you convert the 4th and 1, with 30ish seconds left, you are likely only getting 3 anyway. 

Yeah but if we get 10 more yards the odds of missing go way down

• Upvote 1

I get his logic but if the position is that not getting the 4 and 1 means KC had a chance to score, well missing a long ass FG did the same thing. ZW has been good on those 4 and 1 dives. Just as likely ZW gets the first as that long FG goes in. Take a shot or two at a long pass and then kick a shorter FG and leave less time on the board. His decision wasn't unreasonable, it was just conservative and as others have said, it's not the all gas no brakes mentality he advocates.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Yes.  If you went team by team around the league, which HC would you NOT TAKE over over Saleh?

Off top of my head, I can think of one:  

Eberflus

Is anybody else demonstrably worse?

Even the rookie coaches look promising.

Steichen, Demeco Ryans and Gannon have their teams playing good football.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The Buffalo kicker hits the upright and it goes through to send our game into OT. Our kicker hits the upright and it doinks out. Mahomes fumbled and it bounces to him and he gets a first down. Zach fumbled and we never get the ball back. I’m 65 and don’t think I can live long enough for all the bad breaks to even out. 

• Haha 1