Jets Haven't Allowed 300 Yard Passer in 22 Games

7 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Because teams can run against them, so what's the point.

I think there's some truth to that but most of those 22 games were last year and they were right in the middle of the pack in rush yards allowed. This year we're ranked really low but it's early yet.

Willing to bet if you looked at the teams ranked lower than us in run D last year none have a similar streak.

• Upvote 2

Since the start of last year, we have played Allen 3 times and Mahomes once. Not a single good game between those guys.

We definitely play the pass well and are a tough matchup for these elite QBs/passing offenses, which is why It would really be awesome to make the playoffs . . . Too bad we can’t seem to actually win games. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

it's not the only reason for the streak is my point. like I said, go look at the 15 teams that had a worse run defense than us last year when most of the 22 game occurred and show me which ones have come close to a streak like this.

It is a respectable streak but these numbers are inflated by a flawed running defense. 

5 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Run defense isn’t the reason. It’s our lack of offense and teams not needing to push the ball down the field because they’re not often playing from behind.

Some truth to this too. That said, I would love to see teams needing to push the ball down the field on us. I don't think the result would be as pleasant for them as your post implies. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think there's some truth to that but most of those 22 games were last year and they were right in the middle of the pack in rush yards allowed. This year we're ranked really low but it's early yet.

The Jets are usually playing from behind, teams don't have to throw when they are leading. All you have to do is keep the clock moving, chunk plays aren't necessary. That being said, they still allowed 120+ yards per game last year. With the amount of resources invested on that defensive line and LBs, they have to be better than the middle of the road.

Interesting stat that I just saw today, Teams get 8.8 1st down per game by rushing the ball against the Jets this year. Last year it was 7 1st downs per game which was middle of the road.

1st down passing by opponents is 11.8 this year but last year the allowed 9.8 1st downs per game.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Some truth to this too. That said, I would love to see teams needing to push the ball down the field on us. I don't think the result would be as pleasant for them as your post implies. 

I’d add that we saw what happened when Allen and Mahomes tried to force the issue down the field against us - they threw picks.

the jets barely give up any big pass plays because: 1) they rarely blitz, 2) they play their safeties deep, 3) they have excellent corners, 4) they have underrated safeties, and 5) they have a good (not great) conventional pass rush 

it sure would be nice to get a lead in some of these games . . . 

• Upvote 2

Well because this defense is built on not getting beat by explosive plays and keeping everything in front. So makes sense for this and that teams run on them. AND because teams don't really need to push it with how bad the offense has been. 

If the offense can ever hold a lead and push teams to throw the ball, more turnovers will happen. Ta da. 

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I dont disagree. Our defense is better than a lot of fans give them credit for being. In the 2023 NFL there’s no such thing as a shut down defense.  But… it’s also not as if we’re getting into a lot of 35-31 shootouts either 

47 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

lol only took 1 post for the "yeah but their ______ sucks"

Can't even talk about the good things here.  Gotta make sure to keep this a complete downer-fest at all times.  Way to go, boys.  

Yeah, but not sure this is the case here. 

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

When you rarely play with a lead and your  not much of a threat to score then passing seems less important to your opponent. 

3 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Teams haven’t had to pass and rack up yardage with the offense we’ve had.  How many games have we lead into the 4th quarter wh2ere the opponent has to pass every down?  Very few.

I would be interested in the average pass attempts of opposing QBs against us and where that ranks.

I kind of think the same, but last year we were 12th in pass attempts against and this year we are 19th, so not the glaring difference you'd expect.  Last year we were 12th in pass attempts against, but 3rd in pass yards allowed and 2nd in net yard per attempt.  Maybe teams didn't bother trying to go deep because of situation, but that is still pretty good. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I kind of think the same, but last year we were 12th in pass attempts against and this year we are 19th, so not the glaring difference you'd expect.  Last year we were 12th in pass attempts against, but 3rd in pass yards allowed and 2nd in net yard per attempt.  Maybe teams didn't bother trying to go deep because of situation, but that is still pretty good. 

I feel like the D has been good but not great and certainly not what was advertised.   The glaring problem has been on 3rd down and specifically 3rd and long.   Jet's are bottom of the league on 3rd down and that's what this alleged pass rush/rotation system was supposed to stop.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I’d add that we saw what happened when Allen and Mahomes tried to force the issue down the field against us - they threw picks.

the jets barely give up any big pass plays because: 1) they rarely blitz, 2) they play their safeties deep, 3) they have excellent corners, 4) they have underrated safeties, and 5) they have a good (not great) conventional pass rush 

it sure would be nice to get a lead in some of these games . . . 

Give us good Zach this week and we have a great shot of seeing this. I'd love to see Russ "Unlimited" Wilson trying to come from behind on this D.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

And folks here wonder why it’s so hard for our defense to get consistent pressure on the opposing QB.  

People here are hanging their hats on one offhand remark by DJ Reed and basically comparing the Jets to the 85 Bears. 

We don't have a great defense but it's still the strongest unit on the team.

Fun fact: The Jets have yet to surrender a second half touchdown this year. 

• Upvote 4

Statistics have interrelations with each other.  We're good vs. the pass, but also teams don't need to pass on us as much, when they can be very successful against us on the ground, while also eating up clock, against a team that has shown itself incapable of scoring alot of points themselves.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think it's a combination of things all leading to a result.

1. The Jets have a good pass defense. It's not totally shut-down - or anyway, it certainly isn't always - but it's very good. I'm listing this first because I don't want the ancillary reasons to come across as negating this. At times this D is downright nasty and that's the truth. 

2. The Jets haven't built up many big leads that results in these things:

A) letting teams get a lot of garbage time yards while our D is in prevent, allowing plenty underneath so long as it's away from the sideline & the clock keeps ticking.

B ) teams with potent passing attacks, in such situations getting more than just garbage-time yards (i.e. shootouts) -- this isn't happening much

C) if you have a lead vs. the Jets, as most have, why bother passing? Even if our run defense is pretty decent, it still eats up the clock. To avoid that, our defense would have to be total shutdown: teams can move the chains without getting gobs of yards per carry; all they need is enough to get 10 yards, or even half that plus an easy TE dumpoff. Seattle stopped passing early because of this; ditto Cleveland; 

D) lack of hurry-up for the final quarter. Even if a drive results in the same # of yards on a per-drive basis, there are 1-2 fewer drives. Just saw this with KC. 

3. Covering shorter routes from TEs, quick slants, and to RBs by design or checkdown, hasn't exactly been the D's strong suit, but it moves the chains without necessarily giving up a wad of yardage (CJM's 4th down embarrassment to lose the Detroit game notwithstanding, truth is 4400-yard/29-TD passer Goff had barely 200 yards & 0 TDs until then). Lawrence did this to us; lots of dink & dunk that didn't get a lot of yards (nor a lot of yards/attempt) but did move the chains & keep the clock ticking with a 2-TD lead. 

4. Small sample size containing a combination of weak passing teams plus a weak Jets offense rarely forcing them into abandoning the run themselves. We faced Green Bay literally the game after Rodgers first broke his thumb. We faced Chicago with their QB2 throwing to weak receivers; we faced Miami 2 of 2 times with Skyler Thompson rather than Tua; 

5. Remember bend but don't break? This defense is generally very strong except they're don't bend but do break, in a sense. They shut down quickly the other side on most drives, but give up scores on those they don't.

e.g. Opening game last year they forced 6 punts (typically after just 1-2 series) and a pick. That's good for yardage numbers. Meanwhile they also gave up 3 TD drives and lost (a TD and a FG had drives start in Jets territory, too). Similar with the Vikings game: 3 long TD drives, but very little other than that (and 2 more FG "drives" that began in Jets territory i.e. not much yardage to gain)

I just got on a call so I have to end it here = fewer words = your loss.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think it's a combination of things all leading to a result.

1. The Jets have a good pass defense. It's not totally shut-down - or anyway, it certainly isn't always - but it's very good. I'm listing this first because I don't want the ancillary reasons to come across as negating this. At times this D is downright nasty and that's the truth. 

2. The Jets haven't built up many big leads that results in two things:

A) letting teams get a lot of garbage time yards while our D is in prevent, allowing plenty underneath so long as it's away from the sideline & the clock keeps ticking.

B) teams with potent passing attacks in such situations getting more than just garbage-time yards (i.e. shootouts)

C) if you have a lead vs. the Jets, as most have, why bother passing? Even if our run defense is pretty decent, it still eats up the clock. To avoid that, our defense would have to be total shutdown: teams can move the chains without getting gobs of yards per carry; all they need is enough to get 10 yards, or even half that plus an easy TE dumpoff. Seattle stopped passing early because of this; ditto Cleveland; 

D) lack of hurry-up for the final quarter. Even if a drive results in the same # of yards on a per-drive basis, there are 1-2 fewer drives. Just saw this with KC. 

3. Covering shorter routes from TEs, quick slants, and to RBs by design or checkdown, hasn't exactly been the D's strong suit, but it moves the chains without necessarily giving up a wad of yardage (CJM's 4th down embarrassment to lose the Detroit game notwithstanding, truth is 4400-yard/29-TD passer Goff had barely 200 yards & 0 TDs until then). Lawrence did this to us; lots of dink & dunk that didn't get a lot of yards (nor a lot of yards/attempt) but did move the chains & keep the clock ticking with a 2-TD lead. 

4. Small sample size containing a combination of weak passing teams plus a weak Jets offense rarely forcing them into abandoning the run themselves. We faced Green Bay literally the game after Rodgers first broke his thumb. We faced Chicago with their QB2 throwing to weak receivers; we faced Miami 2 of 2 times with Skyler Thompson rather than Tua; 

5. Remember bend but don't break? This defense is generally very strong except they're don't bend but do break, in a sense. They shut down quickly the other side on most drives, but give up scores on those they don't.

e.g. Opening game last year they forced 6 punts (typically after just 1-2 series) and a pick. That's good for yardage numbers. Meanwhile they also gave up 3 TD drives and lost (a TD and a FG had drives start in Jets territory, too). Similar with the Vikings game: 3 long TD drives, but very little other than that (and 2 more FG "drives" that began in Jets territory i.e. not much yardage to gain)

I just got on a call so I have to end it here = fewer words = your loss.

guardians-of-the-galaxy-rocket-raccoon.g

• Haha 2