Will a Saleh coached Jets team answer the bell?

Hal

How much more can you trash a guy?  From the USA Today:

The end result was a top-to-bottom poor performance by the franchise.

“It doesn’t happen often where an NFL team or organization gets embarrassed,” Payton told Bell. “And that happened here. Part of it was their own fault, relative to spending so much ******* time trying to win the offseason — the P.R., the pomp and circumstance, marching people around and all this stuff.”

That won’t happen this year. Payton is taking a page from the Costanza playbook for 2023.

“Everything I heard about last season, we’re doing the opposite,” Payton said.

In explaining the decision to just focus on the work, Payton took a backhanded shot at Hackett’s new team in New York.

“We’re not doing any of that,” Payton said. “The Jets did that this year. You watch. Hard Knocks, all of it. I can see it coming.”

In other words, Payton believes the Jets will fail to meet their sky-high expectations. (The Broncos host the Jets on October 8, by the way.)

“Remember when Dan Snyder put that Dream Team together?” Payton said. “I was at the Giants [that year]. I was a young coach. I thought, ‘How are we going to compete with them? Deion’s there now.’ That team won eight games or whatever. So, listen . . . just put the work in.”

Payton was careful not to blame Wilson for the various distractions and other problems that dragged down his performance in 2022.

“That wasn’t his fault,” Payton said. “That was the parents who allowed it. That’s not an incrimination on him, but an incrimination on the head coach, the G.M., the president and everybody else who watched it all happen.”

Holdover G.M. George Paton might have gulped a little bit when he saw that last quote.

Payton surely realizes that he can’t effect change without acknowledging the need for it, and without making those who were there in 2022 sufficiently angry about what happened so that they are motivated to turn things around. And Payton expects to turn things around quickly.

“I’m going to be pissed off if this is not a playoff team,” Payton told Bell.

That’s a tall order, given all the great teams in the AFC. Only seven will make it, and there are more than 10 true contenders.

Payton intends to will the Broncos toward contention. Even if his own bar is a little high, it could be the first big step in the right direction for the team — and for Wilson, whose career is suddenly and unexpectedly at a very real crossroads.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If they lose to Denver I'll be calling for him to be fired for the rest of the season, won't happen he is safe but no more excuse to lose this game than there was to lose to a carp new england team.

If they lose this game after all of the slogans and zippedy doo da stuff then they are officially the Caldwell/Bradley Jaguars. Darlings without winning. 

44 minutes ago, Hal said:

Saleh seems like he’s looking for an emotionally healthy football team.  

They twist your QBs knee?  No biggie.  It’s all good bro.  

They go 500 miles an hour into your QBs ribs?  sh*t happens.   That’s football.  Let it go.  

Their QB caresses Sauce’s balls?  Half of JN does it verbally every week.  It’s not Zen to hold a grudge.  

You know what?  I don’t want an emotionally healthy football team.  

I want to see petty grudge holding hard play.  I want to see a team with an enormous chip on their shoulder looking to dominate.  

Hey Jet’s - Sean Payton called you all bitches when he called out your OC.   He basically said I can say whatever I want about your coach and there is nothing you can do about it. 

Please please please… for once lean into the hate.   Drop the slogans and healthy living.  

Star Wars Hate GIF

Kill Them GIF

They’re certainly due to win a game or two… they’ve won what? 1 of 10 going back to last year?

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

There is no chance we should lose this week. And if we somehow do, it’s the beginning of the end for Saleh

… unless, of course, Rodgers wants him here next year 

If Rodgers wasn’t coming back next yr, Saleh, JD, and Zach would all be tied together. JD and Saleh bet their jobs on Zach. But with rodgers they need continuity. Regardless if Zach doesn’t have another game like he had sun.j

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

If Rodgers wasn’t coming back next yr, Saleh, JD, and Zach would all be tied together. JD and Saleh bet their jobs on Zach. But with rodgers they need continuity. Regardless if Zach doesn’t have another game like he had sun.j

Yeah, I think this is right.

Pretty much anything short of Rodgers retiring JD and Saleh are back - regardless of the record this year.

If Zach is awful he's not coming back though.  If Zach plays like Thursday he'll be back as the back up.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Hard to imagine how a 1-3 team coming off 3 straight losses could possibly have a trap game

this team is desperate 

Broncos stink and they get the eagles after that   Easy to overlook a team that gave up 70

its not that simple to say if we lose Saleh should be fired. a better QB wins the NE game. i think we all believed without that Pass interference we could have won the KC game.

if Zach sucks like vs NE then we will lose. is that Salehs fault? he has no choice but to play Zach after last weeks game. 

we beat Buffalo and if the refs didnt cost us the game we could have beat KC. even so we played the SB champs to the end. and NE if Zach didnt have one of his worst days ever that was a win too. we had a real chance in every game but Dallas.

these guys play for him. its obvious even though you guys bitch about RBs and defense and OL this or that we are a QB away from being 3-1. just like last year. 

if Rodgers were here we would be talking about Saleh as Coach of the year. hell even if we had Minshew we would be 3-1.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1

4 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Saleh's not going to let the offense answer the bell.  He'll go full Herm and reel in the offense again.  It's his best chance of winning.

Unless we get down 17-0 again. 

I hope he learned.  All the “must win” drives were like this too. 

He’s a ball control defense guy who needs to give that up and let the offense cook or he needs to get back to being a DC.  

I’m hopeful he learned too.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

In 1999 the jets got their first win against Denver.  They both went in with 0-4 records.  Hopefully the jets pull it out.  Saleh has his work cut out.  He needs to get his team, who played well, ready to play even better.

They were both 0-3, I believe. 

Keyshawn had a huge TD catch in that game. 

12 hours ago, doitny said:

its not that simple to say if we lose Saleh should be fired. a better QB wins the NE game. i think we all believed without that Pass interference we could have won the KC game.

if Zach sucks like vs NE then we will lose. is that Salehs fault? he has no choice but to play Zach after last weeks game. 

we beat Buffalo and if the refs didnt cost us the game we could have beat KC. even so we played the SB champs to the end. and NE if Zach didnt have one of his worst days ever that was a win too. we had a real chance in every game but Dallas.

these guys play for him. its obvious even though you guys bitch about RBs and defense and OL this or that we are a QB away from being 3-1. just like last year. 

if Rodgers were here we would be talking about Saleh as Coach of the year. hell even if we had Minshew we would be 3-1.

100%.  And lets face it, we have no idea what Zach will show up and the one we're raving about still had a back breaking turnover in the 4th and only led the offense to 18pts. So nobody truly knows if he turned some type of corner or which Zach Wilson will show up in Denver.  Call me a skeptic (or a life long Jets fan) but it's easier for me to see the old Zach returning and the Jets D having to pitch a shutout then it is to see a new Zach who's turned the corner going all out and the Jets controlling the entire game, like they should.  That said, I'm excited to see what happens, which is a change w/ Zach so that's neat. 

• Upvote 3

Saleh is one of my larger disappointments in recent years.  I was very supportive of hir hiring, he seemed to hit all the points I'd want from a prospective Head Coach, apart from being a Defense-guy (I wanted an Offense-guy).

I don't think he's lived up to any of my hopes, he's all hot-air and false bravado.  While his D has been solid, he's the same old same old in terms of Defensive guys coaching teams with horrible Offenses with young QB's.  And we're still where we were when he got here, a middling team clawing to try and hit .500 at best.

• Upvote 1

but....end of the day (or season) Payton may be a genius. He KNOWS going in the Jets and the Broncs maybe playing for the last PO spot. This game, winner takes all. Maybe he knows that by putting Hackett on BLAST he'll psyche him out, big time. Force Hackett to over-coach, over-think the match up. Broncs go up by 10 early, Hackett panics and starts calling dumb plays.

Lots of story lines!  Will Taylor Swift be in the owners box cheering Zach on??? I think so!

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

In 1999 the jets got their first win against Denver.  They both went in with 0-4 records.  Hopefully the jets pull it out.  Saleh has his work cut out.  He needs to get his team, who played well, ready to play even better.

This season is eerily similiar to the 99 season.  We found something in Ray Lucas later in the year but it was too late.

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If they lose to Denver I'll be calling for him to be fired for the rest of the season, won't happen he is safe but no more excuse to lose this game than there was to lose to a crap new england team.

If they lose to Denver all bets are off on Saleh, absolutely. Team has to answer the bell this week.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This season is eerily similiar to the 99 season.  We found something in Ray Lucas later in the year but it was too late.

What did they find in Lucas? More like they thought they found something lol.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

And Rick mirer was the qb in that win.  I’m not comparing Zach to mirer, mirer was really bad, but both guys were backups.