Saleh talks to AVT about RT being his permanent position

Rhg1084

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

He also now will get paid like a tackle when it comes time to make an extension happen.

Pretty sure this would be reason enough for him to be ok with it being "permanent".

Of course permanent is only a thing till injuries pile up and tough decisions have to be made to fill gaps with what's available, of course.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Been saying this for a year. Glad the team finally came around.

Now let’s see 77 secure that LT spot and suddenly we’re a center away from a stud OL.

***I’d still draft a LT in the 1st due to 77’s injury history as insurance and in case offseason negotiations go south with 77.*** 

Tippman is the C, hopefully sooner than later.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Bronx said:

AVT and Tippman are the future of this OL at the right side, JD has some serious work to do this offseason on the left side, including tagging Becton for insurance/depth for an extra year or until his replacement is ready. 

Do you how much tagging Becton would cost? 

His play quality (and health, all season long) would have to warrant that for us to utilize the tag, I'd think.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Do you how much tagging Becton would cost? 

His play quality (and health, all season long) would have to warrant that for us to utilize the tag, I'd think.

Too high to tag Becton.

FT: $23M

TT: $20.9M

If he plays well, a 3 year deal makes more sense.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Isn’t G a more valuable position than center? If he dominating at guard why don’t they just leave him there?

Center is more valuable especially if you can find someone as athletic as Tippman.

Very few teams use a traditional NG anymore which means if you can find a center who can pull it opens up a lot of options in the run and screen game that wouldnt normally be there.  Tippman is having a great season so far at Guard and his versatility is nice in case we did want to try one more season with Mcgovern at Center, but long term Tippman is going to be our center

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Isn’t G a more valuable position than center? If he dominating at guard why don’t they just leave him there?

No. That's silly.

A center is a guard that touches the ball every play and also communicates with the QB and other linemen before the snap. They have less time to react to the defender (because of they must execute the snap first), and it is a harder position to fill than guard if you want a good player there.

You can hide a mediocre G between a good T and a good C. You can't hide a mediocre C no matter what you do. For example, our current C, who is absolute garbage and needs to be replaced yesterday. 

For a quick review, tell me which G in Jets history has had more impact on the franchise than Mawae and Mangold. I'll wait, but not long.

• Upvote 1

I know I’m one of many on here that’s been saying this for a bit. It’s a lot easier to find good Gs if you have a good OT and C play.

If Becton stays healthy all year I have to think we resign him. Move Tippman back to C and AVT at RT. And go get 2 new Gs. Maybe try and get Mitchell even to play inside.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Been saying this for a year. Glad the team finally came around.

Now let’s see 77 secure that LT spot and suddenly we’re a center away from a stud OL.

***I’d still draft a LT in the 1st due to 77’s injury history as insurance and in case offseason negotiations go south with 77.*** 

Probably makes more sense to kick AVT over to left tackle next offseason and sign a right tackle. IMO, Becton has been very average so far and probably not worth the extension.

• Upvote 4
  • More Ugh 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Probably makes more sense to kick AVT over to left tackle next offseason and sign a right tackle. IMO, Becton has been very average so far and probably not worth the extension.

That’s exactly what I was thinking.  Flip flop AVT and Ticket right now! 

30 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Too high to tag Becton.

FT: $23M

TT: $20.9M

If he plays well, a 3 year deal makes more sense.

No need to make any decision on him yet. Likely there would be no need to franchise tag him. If they want to lock him up but his ask is way out there, they can just match the highest bidder (if so desired) which will probably be less than he'd take to forgo the ability to shop himself around.

If someone decides to lock him up in the $20MM+/year range, by some miracle, they can have him. Don't presume that still would've happened if he was franchise tagged, though; likely it wouldn't. 

LT is an important position of course, but it's not impossible to fill. This time 2 months ago he still wasn't worth the $13MM 5th year option they passed on in the spring.

Let's see him keep getting better and make it through the whole season before needing to get in early. Some risks are worth taking, some you play it closer to the vest & if you end up keeping him & that costs more then it costs more. Then let's see him get a better offer than Orlando Brown got from Cleveland.

Plus by the end of the season if he still has some resentment for the coaches/staff, and doesn't really want to be here, again there are other LTs to sign or draft or whatever.

• Upvote 2

so i mean he probably likes this because it would mean higher pay right? But is he really good at taht position? I mean he is great at gaurd so I guess this mean they think it is harder to get a RT in the draft than  G. That him playing there is best for team, and they can just draft someone else in that spot. 

SO he is playing above average at RT? Or is this just a staop gap cause everyone else sucks?

I think this is a good idea. I know Becton has been average so far at LT, but I'm willing to give him another game or 2 to get acclimated. Becton (LT), Tippman (C) and AVT (RT) is a very nice foundation for the OL and finding guards IMO is easier than finding tackles or centers. 

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

AVT and Tippman are the future of this OL at the right side, JD has some serious work to do this offseason on the left side, including tagging Becton for insurance/depth for an extra year or until his replacement is ready. 

That guy in your avatar is probably awesome at eating corn on the cob.

• LG is a premium position.  Look what we are paying Tomlinson and KC is paying Thuney.   That was the spot that AVT was drafted to play.
  • C is another valuable position.  That was what Tippman was drafted to play.
  • You can find good RGs late in the draft-those are big, strong guys.
  • RT is another premium position, but T's really need long arms.  We have Mitchell and Warren in development to play RT.  AVT should be concerned about getting hurt again trying to play RT with short arms
  • The minute you pay Becton another multi-year contract, he will got to pot again.  The Franchise Tag has good option value because it is only one year.  JD will need to overpay a player, yet again, because he had no Plan B or pipeline.  He should be looking for an LT in next year's draft.
  • So to me, the OL for 2024 is:
    • LT-Becton, on tag.  Draft his replacement and let him work in.
    • LG-AVT, signed to a new contract.  Cut Tomlinson.
    • C-Tippman
    • RG-draft pick/FA
    • RT-Mitchell/Warren/FA/Draft pick.
  • I think if Duane Brown and Tomlinson are gone, the OL in this framework is actually less expensive even if Becton is overpaid.  
  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

This is the season for them to experiment and see who is coming back and what position they’ll be playing for when Owner…err…coach…uhhh….quarterback aaron rodgers returns.

Figure it all out this year.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

You can't say he's looked better at guard when you haven't even seen him play center yet.

in real game action, no, but, I remember there being talks in TC about him getting off to a bit of a slow start, looked alright in preseason action, looks good at guard in reg season action though… would just keep him there for the time being.

Maybe it doesn’t have to be a permanent position move, but it’s one that has seemed to help stabilized the offensive line a bit.