La'el Collins please report to Florham Park

Maxman

The New York Jets lost a starting offensive tackle and there happens to be an experienced veteran replacement available on the free agent market.

With 86 career NFL starts under his belt, La'el Collins has apparently completed his recovery from ACL surgery and is interested in joining a team. The 6-foot-4 bookend injured his knee when playing for the Cincinnati Bengals in a Week 16 against New England last December.

The Bengals placed Collins on the physically unable to perform list at the start of training camp this past summer and eventually released the 30-year-old tackle on September 12. Shortly thereafter, Collins received medical clearance to play again. 

Collins, who initially entered the league with the Dallas Cowboys in 2015, made 15 straight starts during what was his first, and only, season in Cincinnati.

The Jets have multiple internal options to fill the starting right tackle spot that was vacated when Alijah Vera-Tucker suffered a season-ending Achilles tear, but none are as enticing as the idea of adding the battled-tested Collins to the mix.

"We'll keep that one close to the vest for the week, but we have our options in house," said head coach Robert Saleh on who will replace the versatile Vera-Tucker.

Second-year pro Max Mitchell stepped in for Vera-Tucker on Sunday and finished out the 31-21 road win. The former fourth-round draft pick lacks the prototypical size associated with an effective NFL tackle but is certainly a viable injury replacement.

"I thought he did a really good job," said Saleh. "We know Max. A year ago, I think he surprised everybody when he got in there and played at a pretty good level. Thought he did a decent job yesterday, things that we can improve on, obviously, with regards to pass protection. I thought he was really good in the run game."

La'el Collins Player Photo

2021 SEASON STATS

OFFENSE SNAPS PLAYED
67153rd
PENALTIES
8T-10th
SACKS ALLOWED
2T-57th

* T with at least 20% of league-highest volume are ranked.

T-57th

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Becton is on the verge of breaking down again...for the season, He had to step out twice yesterday. Joe Douglas has a bad track record when it comes to protecting for just-in-case stuff on the O-line

I won't mortgage the house on this one.  I saw a very happy and enthusiastic Becton supporting his OC at the locker room. He must gotten tired or aired out during the game, Did Saleh reported him as being injured? No.   As a former Becton hater, I would have to say that the kid has stepped up well, especially considering his long absence.

• Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Bronx said:

I won't mortgage the house on this one.  I saw a very happy and enthusiastic Becton supporting his OC at the locker room. He must gotten tired or aired out during the game, Did Saleh reported him as being injured? No.   As a former Becton hater, I would have to say that the kid has stepped up well, especially considering his long absence.

I completely disagree. This is exactly the kind of guy you spend money on. The Jets are already down two tackles. Signing a RB like Cook was completely unnecessary and a waste. But if the Jets don’t want a repeat of last season, obtaining OL help is a must. 

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I completely disagree. This is exactly the kind of guy you spend money on. The Jets are already down two tackles. Signing a RB like Cook was completely unnecessary and a waste. But if the Jets don’t want a repeat of last season, obtaining OL help is a must. 

Yes, the Jets did not need Dalvin Cook, and he was a tremendous overpay. 

Collins seems like a luxury now, since Brown will be back and there is Warren, Mitchell and Turner.

But with the Jets and the S&C and Medical staff, they will have no OL, again.  

2 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

Becton is on the verge of breaking down again...for the season, He had to step out twice yesterday. Joe Douglas has a bad track record when it comes to protecting for just-in-case stuff on the O-line

Im worried about Becton too given the way Saleh talked about his knee continually bothering him.  Hopefully we have some depth there between Duane Brown and Turner.  Personally, im not worried about Mitchell as he was a developmental pick who played RT his whole college career and has had a year and a half to develop. Hes also athletic enough to get to the second level and next to Tippman can really add some athletic ability to our right side and let Breece use his cut back ability.

Then we have Carter Warren to also help if needed.  

32 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I liked this thread better when I started it!

Stats and highlights next time, thank you. By the way, that should be SOP when we are either elevating from the practice squad or bringing a FA, this way we can get acquainted with the player via stats, etc. 

1 minute ago, Bronx said:

Stats and highlights next time, thank you. By the way, that should be SOP when we are either elevating from the practice squad or bringing a FA, this way we can get acquainted with the player via stats, etc. 

Yes feel free to add whatever you like to threads that already exist on a topic lol.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yes feel free to add whatever you like to threads that already exist on a topic lol.

I didn't see the topic; otherwise I would have done exactly that, I still think that it is a fair suggestion for posters in general. 

1 minute ago, Bronx said:

I didn't see the topic; otherwise I would have done exactly that, I still think that it is a fair suggestion for posters in general. 

It is and I was just busting on the topic. It was far down on page two, almost page three. I started it during the game. Just merged them because I am nerdy that way.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1