Are the Patriots bad enough to be in position for Caleb Williams?

Tuesday morning nightmare fuel.  This thought randomly occurred to me today, and from some quick googling, it appears I'm pretty late to the party.

Even if the Pats aren't wretched enough to land the #1 pick (though they might be), or if they fail to "tank" successfully, their pick is still going to be high enough that they could conceivably make an offer for #1.  If the Panthers own the top pick, they should definitely scrap Bryce Young for Caleb Williams, but maybe they don't, and maybe Reich swings a deal with Belichick who goes all in for his swan song...

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2023/10/09/patriots-tanking-top-draft-picks-caleb-williams-usc/

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

I wouldn’t take that kid. He’s talking about picking the team he plays for already. He’s got a list. 

Caleb’s only 5 team he would play for are the #Cowboys, #Raiders, #Vikings, #Giants, and #49ers.

Be awesome if he went to San Fran. Purdy could make another top 5 pick Mr. irrelevant. 

• Upvote 2

As much as I like to see the Pats lose this is becoming a growing concern of mine. Mac looks ready to implode and years of BB wasting picks is catching up to him finally......

They look like a 7 win team at best. Let's hope that's what it is and the bottom doesn't completely fall out. If the Pats land Caleb that would be enough to make me an NFL fan from afar.....

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

I wouldn’t take that kid. He’s talking about picking the team he plays for already. He’s got a list. 

Caleb’s only 5 team he would play for are the #Cowboys, #Raiders, #Vikings, #Giants, and #49ers.

I saw that as a meme on social media but did he really say that?

I wouldn’t want anything to do with him

The funky thing about the NFL draft process is, he’d almost be better off not being drafted than being drafted first. The system is completely backwards,” Carl Williams told Sam Schube. “He’s got two shots at the apple … so if there’s not a good situation, the truth is, he can come back to school.”

1 minute ago, nj meadowlands said:

Is this based on his 22:1 TD/INT ratio, the fact that he will likely repeat as Heisman, or that he looks like a player Patrick Mahomes created on Madden?

that and Scumbag coaching him and the fact that he can make more money in college "According to him" 

45 minutes ago, Larz said:

NILs are already changing the game. Players don't have to rush to the NFL to make money. It’s a bit like the Eli thing who was being supported by his family.

If the rumor is true, I could see an Eli type trade. I think the Bears will hold pick 1. Then I could see a team like the Vikings making the jump to pick 1. But the Bears wont trade him to a division rival. It’s going to be messy.

They are in trouble.  Their Oline is decimated with injuries (the strength of their line was the interior but they are essentially all playing with injuries that will require surgeries) and their RT makes Brown look like an all pro.  They have at best a couple mediocre WR2s.  The rbs have no running lanes.  Mac is basically playing scared.

On D, they are still ok, but they lost their two best players and their cb2 is out for half the year.

Its looking like a 5 or 6 win team at this point.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

If the panthers get the first pick they have to give to the bears, the bears would have a huge decision to make, keep fields and trade the pick, or take Caleb and trade fields.  Fields has to know he’s auditioning to stay in chicago

Not a huge decision. You take him. Trade your other pick fir a haul, sit him behind Fields for a year

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

Not a huge decision. You take him. Trade your other pick fir a haul, sit him behind Fields for a year

The patriots really suck and seem headed for a top 5 pick, but carolina is worse.  I can see the patriots taking maye.  I also think sanders will come out b/c he seems headed for a top 10 pick and he would be an immediate marketing star.  Raiders, cardinals, pats, Vikings and maybe even giants are heavily in qb market now. 

Fields will flash enough to win a couple of games. But maybe the CAR pick they own lands at 1.

I am praying it won’t happen but these Gmen are awful. They get slaughtered every game. I wouldn’t be shocked they end up with Caleb, which will piss me off to no ends. 

I think the Pats win a game more than the Gmen.