Anthony Becht On Brock Purdy During The Draft - "Tell me how everyone is missing on Brock Purdy. What are they not seeing?"

Basic idea; steady, reliable but didn't blow anyone away,  But he competed and was productive and competent at a Big 10 program. Big complaint is he wasn't given to making risky throws. But against bigger big 10 defenses-Mich, Mich St, PSU, OSU-he was probably running for his life. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brock-purdy/32005055-5224-3289-b108-8aab5e23b748

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

Basic idea; steady, reliable but didn't blow anyone away,  But he competed and was productive and competent at a Big 10 program. Big complaint is he wasn't given to making risky throws. But against bigger big 10 defenses-Mich, Mich St, PSU, OSU-he was probably running for his life. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brock-purdy/32005055-5224-3289-b108-8aab5e23b748

Considering he played in the Big 12, we don't really know.  I'm sure he played well against Iowa every year though.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

So, Brock Purdy is a Cray Frontier supercomputer and Zach is a Commodore 64. 

Neat.

The 64 was really bad at math. It literally could not compute, which for an early almost kinda primitive PC was bad. Guy I worked for had an early McIntosh, was much more advanced and user friendly. 

• Haha 1

Why can;t the jets ever totally stumble on a QB like this.  I mean even the guys we draft that are not high picks STINK.

The likes of Bollinger, Eric Ainge, taj boyd, hackenburg, captain morgan, Petty All stunk and further more they stunk from day one and there was not one moment you thought they could be anything.  Maybe our biggest hope was udfa Ratliff perhaps?

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why can;t the jets ever totally stumble on a QB like this.  I mean even the guys we draft that are not high picks STINK.

The likes of Bollinger, Eric Ainge, taj boyd, hackenburg, captain morgan, Petty All stunk and further more they stunk from day one and there was not one moment you thought they could be anything.  Maybe our biggest hope was udfa Ratliff perhaps?

It’s not a coincidence.  Some teams/coaches  know how to develop QBs.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Hal said:

It’s not a coincidence.  Some teams/coaches  know how to develop QBs.

Ehhhhhhhhh.

If Kyle Shanahan couldn’t make Trey Lance look functional, that dude is probably not gonna catch fire elsewhere.

How do those lyrics go..?

🎶”Even the best fallll down sometiiiiimes”🎶

• Upvote 4

Shanahan failed to develop several QBs.   Purdy is to Shanahan what Brady was to Belicheck and Montana was to Walsh.   Purdy numbers aren’t top 10 good.  Right now he’s the single best QB in the league.  He’s killing it.  This is what Joe Montana and Brady did.

The kid is a surgeon cutting through muscle with a scalpel.  

if Mahomes is the NFLs Michael Jordan, Purdy is Larry Bird.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

That is simply not true!  IIRC, Hackenberg drove us down the field for a TD in his first ever preseason game.  :)

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Shanahan failed to develop several QBs.   Purdy is to Shanahan what Brady was to Belicheck and Montana was to Walsh.   Purdy numbers aren’t top 10 good.  Right now he’s the single best QB in the league.  He’s killing it.  This is what Joe Montana and Brady did.

The kid is a surgeon cutting through muscle with a scalpel.  

if Mahomes is the NFLs Michael Jordan, Purdy is Larry Bird.

Lol are we really doing this?

Let’s wait until he wins more than like single digit regular season games on the most loaded team in the NFL before we announce him to be the NFLs Larry Bird.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

This started before Mahomes and Josh Allen.  It really started with Cam Newton.

Freak athletes and guys with elite arm talent, but no refinement, sometimes both, are being put at the QB position at lower levels.  Now you’re getting “top prospects” with howitzers, who throw every type of pass 100 miles per hour, from every platform imaginable while seemingly being blindfolded too, based on their accuracy, who can also run like the wind and teams are trying to get themselves the next version of those aforementioned guys because when they hit?  They HIT.  Then, every now and then, you get the Matthew Staffords, the Andrew Lucks, the Trevor Lawrences, the Drake Mayes and the Caleb Williams’ of the world involved.  The guys who have that talent AND pedigree.  The QB who has “…a great head on his shoulders, but lacks elite size and only possesses ’just enough arm strength, limiting his upside’” is a fourth round pick, at best, nowadays.

Brock Purdy is probably a late 1st/early-to-mid 2nd round pick in the Pennington era.  He’s Mr. Irrelevant in a class that features someone like Malik Willis and his tools.

In effect you are saying that scouts are no longer capable of seeing great quarterback play beyond freak physical traits.  I agree.  Purdy is a refreshing slap in the face to the guy that get all hot and bothered by the latest running QB and overlook guys that can play from the pocket and are intellectually ahead of the game. It will be interesting to see if he can sustain his success, especially up against Richardson, Lamar etc.   Maholmeses don't grow on trees. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Right but the two entities pair together.

Kyle (I can call him Kyle we’re close like that) hasn’t seen this production out of the other QBs he’s had.

Credit to both Purdy and Kyle.

True purdy looks good regardless. Btw Matt Ryan.

38 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Lol are we really doing this?

Let’s wait until he wins more than like single digit regular season games on the most loaded team in the NFL before we announce him to be the NFLs Larry Bird.

Joe Montana won multiple SB on a completely loaded team.   So did Bradshaw, Elway, Staubach and Starr and so did Namath.

He is playing at an unbelievable level with a loaded team.  Joe Montana level.   

I watched a decent amount of Brock Purdy being I watch the Big 12 more than any other conference, and I thought he was good. He had no business being Mr. Irrelevant. But he also for sure wasn't in the tier of the top QBs in the draft just off his film and stats.

I will say this... I HATE the combine. Always have. Because I think it makes GMs and all talent evaluators look at what these kids do when they're not playing football. How high a guy can jump next to never get used in a football game. Running 40 yards in track shoes with no one around you to alter your straight line speed happens rarely. How many times a guy can bench 225lbs means nothing as to there technique and strength. I've seen very strong people not bench well, but are strong as can be. I can keep going.

Purdy fell bc he had 0 wow traits. For some reason how athletic a QB is now is a huge thing. When the best QBs ever don't move well. Purdy doesn't move great, so that caught no ones eye. His smarts is his best trait, but teams clearly weren't valuing that. And he has enough arm talent to where he can make all the throws.

But the biggest thing with Purdy is who drafted him. Brock Purdy of drafted by us and was under LaFleur last year would not be the Purdy he was last year. He is who he is bc of Shanahan. So to me this is the biggest factor with him. This goes along with that I thin the HC/OC - QB combo is huge in how a QBs career goes. Especially early on. Allen isn't Allen without Daboll. Mahomes without Reid. Tua without McDaniel, etc.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I watched a decent amount of Brock Purdy being I watch the Big 12 more than any other conference, and I thought he was good. He had no business being Mr. Irrelevant. But he also for sure wasn't in the tier of the top QBs in the draft just off his film and stats.

I will say this... I HATE the combine. Always have. Because I think it makes GMs and all talent evaluators look at what these kids do when they're not playing football. How high a guy can jump next to never get used in a football game. Running 40 yards in track shoes with no one around you to alter your straight line speed happens rarely. How many times a guy can bench 225lbs means nothing as to there technique and strength. I've seen very strong people not bench well, but are strong as can be. I can keep going.

Purdy fell bc he had 0 wow traits. For some reason how athletic a QB is now is a huge thing. When the best QBs ever don't move well. Purdy doesn't move great, so that caught no ones eye. His smarts is his best trait, but teams clearly weren't valuing that. And he has enough arm talent to where he can make all the throws.

But the biggest thing with Purdy is who drafted him. Brock Purdy of drafted by us and was under LaFleur last year would not be the Purdy he was last year. He is who he is bc of Shanahan. So to me this is the biggest factor with him. This goes along with that I thin the HC/OC - QB combo is huge in how a QBs career goes. Especially early on. Allen isn't Allen without Daboll. Mahomes without Reid. Tua without McDaniel, etc.

Joe Montana and Tom Brady had zero wow traits.  

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

They did — and Brock Purdy hasn’t. So let’s just pump the brakes.

10 and 0 as a starter.  2 and O in the playoffs.  4 for 4 against the Eagles before he went down.  The 49er's O came to a grinding halt after he went down.   The 49ers O last year was substantially better under Purdy last year than it was under Garrapollo.  It wasn't close.  He's a huge difference maker.  

If Brock Purdy was the Jets QB we would be a legit SB team. 

9 hours ago, Bugg said:

The 64 was really bad at math. It literally could not compute, which for an early almost kinda primitive PC was bad. Guy I worked for had an early McIntosh, was much more advanced and user friendly. 

Yeah but you could play Donkey Kong on it. My high school had a computer room with 6 Apple 2e computers. Glowed green. Go Jets!!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

This started before Mahomes and Josh Allen.  It really started with Cam Newton.

Freak athletes and guys with elite arm talent, but no refinement, sometimes both, are being put at the QB position at lower levels.  Now you’re getting “top prospects” with howitzers, who throw every type of pass 100 miles per hour, from every platform imaginable while seemingly being blindfolded too, based on their accuracy, who can also run like the wind and teams are trying to get themselves the next version of those aforementioned guys because when they hit?  They HIT.  Then, every now and then, you get the Matthew Staffords, the Andrew Lucks, the Trevor Lawrences, the Drake Mayes and the Caleb Williams’ of the world involved.  The guys who have that talent AND pedigree.  The QB who has “…a great head on his shoulders, but lacks elite size and only possesses ’just enough arm strength, limiting his upside’” is a fourth round pick, at best, nowadays.

Brock Purdy is probably a late 1st/early-to-mid 2nd round pick in the Pennington era.  He’s Mr. Irrelevant in a class that features someone like Malik Willis and his tools.

It's weird that it kind of mirrors the changes in the financial markets where speculative stocks are wildly overpriced because everyone is looking for a big payday and the overlooked blue chip stocks are steady as they go just plugging along year after year slowly building value. This probably speaks more of our culture than just football.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Biggs said:

10 and 0 as a starter.  2 and O in the playoffs.  4 for 4 against the Eagles before he went down.  The 49er's O came to a grinding halt after he went down.   The 49ers O last year was substantially better under Purdy last year than it was under Garrapollo.  It wasn't close.  He's a huge difference maker.  

If Brock Purdy was the Jets QB we would be a legit SB team. 

I’d argue the catalyst for their improvement was the McCaffery trade — it changed how defenses defended them and their numbers with him on vs off the field are stark.

Kid is good but he’s basically facilitating Shanahan’s system in a team that is just loaded with talent. Time will tell how good he really is.

• Upvote 2