Jump to content

Anthony Becht On Brock Purdy During The Draft - "Tell me how everyone is missing on Brock Purdy. What are they not seeing?"


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

 

What I find really ironic is that of all the things he said Purdy has that make him a successful NFL QB, Brett Favre had none of them. Instead, Favre had a rocket arm, was (mostly) accurate, was tough as nails and had a two cent brain. Favre didn't need to understand anything around him. All he needed to see was an open WR and he would zip the ball in their before the defender could make the WR not open. Josh Allen has this quality too. You can make up for a lot of mental acumen if your physical abilities negate the need to read the field. Guys like Purdy, Pennington and many others need to be mental giants with bottomless intangibles because they are unable to succeed on ability alone. I am interested to see what Purdy looks like as a QB when he commands a huge chunk of the cap and is no longer surrounded by elite playmakers.

BTW, for those dad's out there, when your kid was in little league and you were drafting your team, did you pick the little kid with no arm or power but who really understood the game over the kid who got his hormones 3 years early, was almost your height and could throw the ball through a wall? Potential always trumps competency. It is the way of the world. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I’d argue the catalyst for their improvement was the McCaffery trade — it changed how defenses defended them and their numbers with him on vs off the field are stark.

Kid is good but he’s basically facilitating Shanahan’s system in a team that is just loaded with talent. Time will tell how good he really is.

Kurt Warned basically facilitated the greatest show on turf.  Elway was a mediocre shell of himself when he won two SB in a row.  Montana had amazing talent around him and a great D.  

He's QB rating is 11 points higher than Tua who has better all around talent surrounding him.  He has 2 less TD's than Tua and no INT's vs 5 for Tua.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Kurt Warned basically facilitated the greatest show on turf.  Elway was a mediocre shell of himself when he won two SB in a row.  Montana had amazing talent around him and a great D.  

He's QB rating is 11 points higher than Tua who has better all around talent surrounding him.  He has 2 less TD's than Tua and no INT's vs 5 for Tua.   

Who do you keep comparing Hall of Famers who won championships with a guy who has won nothing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Who do you keep comparing Hall of Famers who won championships with a guy who has won nothing?

Did you know Robert Saleh won more games than Bill Parcells in his first season as HC?  

Your point is a good one.  Yet I still think Marino belongs in the HOF and Jim McMahon, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Joe Flacco and Nick Foles don't. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In 2021 Iowa State was coming of a  Number 9 ranking finishing 9-3 with a big 12 championship season and Matt Campbell's core (Breece Hall, Brock Purdy and Charlie Kolar) agreed to return for the 2021 season to really deliver big. They finished with a 7-6 record coming 4th in the Big 12. And when you look at Purdy's stats over his 4 years at Iowa State, based on statistics alone he was pretty much the same QB his first season as he was his fourth season. So, coming off the 2021 season Purdy, supported by a veteran and talented college group, really did nothing to set himself apart. There are reasons a QB is still available when the final round of the draft begins and Purdy gave teams plenty of reason to believe he was not the guy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

In 2021 Iowa State was coming of a  Number 9 ranking finishing 9-3 with a big 12 championship season and Matt Campbell's core (Breece Hall, Brock Purdy and Charlie Kolar) agreed to return for the 2021 season to really deliver big. They finished with a 7-6 record coming 4th in the Big 12. And when you look at Purdy's stats over his 4 years at Iowa State, based on statistics alone he was pretty much the same QB his first season as he was his fourth season. So, coming off the 2021 season Purdy, supported by a veteran and talented college group, really did nothing to set himself apart. There are reasons a QB is still available when the final round of the draft begins and Purdy gave teams plenty of reason to believe he was not the guy. 

and yet Becht still saw something that everyone else missed. It's impressive to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Why can;t the jets ever totally stumble on a QB like this.  I mean even the guys we draft that are not high picks STINK.

The likes of Bollinger, Eric Ainge, taj boyd, hackenburg, captain morgan, Petty All stunk and further more they stunk from day one and there was not one moment you thought they could be anything.  Maybe our biggest hope was udfa Ratliff perhaps?

Someone once said you take a QB in the late rounds every year, even if you don't need one.  There are a whole lot of QB's who were not 1st rounders.  Somebody threw out the book of measurables and found a guy who doesn't run like a HB or have a cannon for an arm.  All he does is read defenses and deliver accurate passes.   That is how they found Brady in the 6th round, Purdy as the last pick in the draft or a Romo as an UDFA.

As far as why we didn't find one, be real.  We were the worst drafting team in the sport for 15 years.  If you can't hit on your early picks, you are a blind squirrel on your late ones.  We have drafted better in recent years, but have not taken a QB, other than Zach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

and yet Becht still saw something that everyone else missed. It's impressive to me.

Or....... wait for it ....... Anthony's son Rocco Becht was being recruited to play QB at Iowa State in 2021 and Anthony knows Brock Purdy personally. Which, kind of taints the whole objective analysis thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...