Does Solid Outing From Zach Wilson Give Jets a Chance vs Eagles?

JetNation

On this week’s episode of JetNation Radio, we discuss what went right in Denver against the Broncos and what has to happen for the Jets to be able to hang with the undefeated Eagles.  We kick things off by going over a perceived weakness on Gang Green’s roster that has turned itself into a strength that’s worth watching.

And with Philadelphia being the most dominant NFL team in the trenches, Breece Hall shouldn’t expect to have as much running room as he did against the Broncos, and an improving Zach Wilson should expect to be under constant duress.

The post Does Solid Outing From Zach Wilson Give Jets a Chance vs Eagles? appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

This game will be all about the Jet defense.  They need to hold Philly under 20 points.  If they do, they could be in it .  As far as the Philly pass rush, do what other teams do against our line.  Quick screens, play action, quick hits.  That has gashed us 5 weeks in a row.

Second, we cannot turn the ball over.

Third, Get rid of the ball.  Zach is a good QB when he gets the ball out quick.  He is not when he holds it beyond 2.5 seconds.  Bad things happen later.

• Upvote 3

It's the NFL and the Jets have a very good defense.  Anything can happen.

If the game is on the line late in the 4th where we have to throw in a one score game, it doesn't matter what his stats are for the rest of the game.  Can he lead the team down the field when the game is on the line?

Until he makes key throws down the stretch and the Jets WIN because of his arm, there will always be room for nitpicking about stats and missed throws.  I'd love to see him shut us all up and be clutch.  But until we see it...

• Upvote 2

He will have to be more than solid.   And yes we have to go all out and attack their secondary, even if it is risky and might get us pounded if it does not work out.

I don't see us having the balls to do that though.  We will try and run and get stopped and they will run on this defense.

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Solid Zach! <21 of 34 for 146 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, five sacks>

“He wasn’t the problem today”

”Take away those 7 plays and it really wasn’t that bad”

”If you really think about you couldn’t really expect any better against a tough D like the Eagles”

”This game was over when were down 17-0 before the end of the 1st quarter so who cares”

• Haha 3

I don't understand why they just don't unload it and let it rip. Rodgers is coming back next year. You're only starting Wilson this year. Just let it ******* rip and see what happens. 

I feel like they were forced to do this against Kansas City and it worked. I was there, the stadium was electric. Just let him rip it. Live and die with it, what's the worst that could happen, you lose against one of the best teams in the league? So what..... 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

“He wasn’t the problem today”

”Take away those 7 plays and it really wasn’t that bad”

”If you really think about you couldn’t really expect any better against a tough D like the Eagles”

”This game was over when were down 17-0 before the end of the 1st quarter so who cares”

“Nobody was open! Hackett sucks!”

<All-22 comes out, internet is flooded with images of wide open Jets receivers running free down the field for would-be touchdowns>

”Why didn’t Hackett teach him to throw it to the open guys?!”

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

If the Jets actually win? 

That's just another nail in the coffin for Zach being the starter next year. 2nd string or starter, it doesn't matter, Aaron Rodgers will never play again. He's got a golden parachute guaranteed salary compliments of Woody the a&#036;&#036;hole.

The Jets defense will keep this team in most games.  IMO.  

We have to control the ball, and take your shots down the field to keep the Eagles defense honest. 

Have to contain hurts.  I think the secondary will keep their receivers in check.  

1. The talking heads are saying Phi could have easily lost any of their 5 wins.  I only follow the Jets so I don't know how valid that is.

2. Phi weak link is their secondary.  So there is a chance.  We'll need the good Zach.    

3. If it's close in the end our DL rotation will keep us in it.     

3 hours ago, Ron Rico said:

If the Jets actually win? 

That's just another nail in the coffin for Zach being the starter next year. 2nd string or starter, it doesn't matter, Aaron Rodgers will never play again. He's got a golden parachute guaranteed salary compliments of Woody the a&#036;&#036;hole.

sad but probably true.

• Upvote 1

I hope Zach stacks another NFL level week ... He needs to play well .. but I do think this week, the game will come down to the vaunted 10 man DL being able to not only contain, but snuff out Hurts behind the line.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Defense plays like it did against KC and the play calling is good. I think we stand a chance.

I don’t have a lot of confidence in both those things happening though.

I see this one actually getting ugly. With PHI bullying the clock like Dallas did.
Me too .. our D has trouble stopping long drives ... I see Philly smashing us with clock killing drives.

• Upvote 2

It’s too easy to say the game hinges on Zach’s play.  It’s going to take some good play from the defense to keep hurts in the pocket and always under pressure.  It’s also going to take some special teams play to win the field position aspect.  Hopefully the eagles come into the game full of themselves and over confident.

• Upvote 2

It’s too easy to say the game hinges on Zach’s play.  It’s going to take some good play from the defense to keep hurts in the pocket and always under pressure.  It’s also going to take some special teams play to win the field position aspect.  Hopefully the eagles come into the game full of themselves and over confident.
No grown up would pin this game on any one player.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

No grown up would pin this game on any one player.

That is fair but this place would do anything to solely blame this QB against, likely, the 2nd best team in the NFL.

With that said, in agreement that you can't solely blame the QB - but he is the most important position on the field and him playing well will go a long way to helping them come out with an upset.  Or, even more to the point - they can't win without him playing well.

• Upvote 1