If Aaron doesn't make it back for '24...

This Jets are kind of between a rock and a hard place now, because while A-Rodge has stated his commitment to return ASAP, we don't know:

a)  how realistic this is

b)  how good / bad he will actually look even if he is able to make it back

We are all (except bitonti 🙂 maybe) assuming a 40-year "90% retired" QB can make it all the way back from an Achilles rip and still be a Super Bowl caliber starting QB.

But what happens if the rehab doesn't go as planned, or the brother goes back into darkness in the off-season and decides he wants to call it quits?

What does the Jets "braintrust" do?

Do they pick up the 5th year option on ZW?  Continue to treat ZW like a king in his 4th year and refuse to bring in any competition (or even a legit backup) for him?

We all know about the top QB prospects in the draft.

Here is a look at the projected 2024 FA QB class.  Not exactly an inspiring list:

Kirk Cousins

Tannehill

Brissett

Tyrod

Mariota

Darnold (LOL)

Famous Jameis Winston

Drew Lock

Faker Mayfield

Josh Dobbs

Tyler Huntley

14 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

This Jets are kind of between a rock and a hard place now, because while A-Rodge has stated his commitment to return ASAP, we don't know:

a)  how realistic this is

b)  how good / bad he will actually look even if he is able to make it back

We are all (except bitonti 🙂 maybe) assuming a 40-year "90% retired" QB can make it all the way back from an Achilles rip and still be a Super Bowl caliber starting QB.

But what happens if the rehab doesn't go as planned, or the brother goes back into darkness in the off-season and decides he wants to call it quits?

What does the Jets "braintrust" do?

Do they pick up the 5th year option on ZW?  Continue to treat ZW like a king in his 4th year and refuse to bring in any competition (or even a legit backup) for him?

We all know about the top QB prospects in the draft.

Here is a look at the projected 2024 FA QB class.  Not exactly an inspiring list:

Kirk Cousins

Tannehill

Brissett

Tyrod

Mariota

Darnold (LOL)

Famous Jameis Winston

Drew Lock

Faker Mayfield

Josh Dobbs

Tyler Huntley

elmo.gif

• Haha 4

Depends on a lot of things.  How does Rodgers rehab go.  How does Zach look as the season progresses. 

I think, either way, we should draft a QB.  If Rodgers isn't coming back, we gain $37 MM cap and should go 1st round QB.  They say it will be a deep QB class.  Unless Zach looks good, I wouldn't pick up his 5th year.

If Rodgers is coming back, I wouldn't pick up the 5th year on Zach unless he looks like a solid long term solution by year-end.  If Zach looks solid, pick up his 5th year.  Given the weak free agent class, someone may be interested in a trade.  We got a nice haul for Darnold.  Get a good trade, draft a QB in the 1st round to sit behind Rodgers.  If not Zach is the back-up and draft a QB in a later round to develop.  

• Upvote 1

The Jets should anticipate Rodgers being back next year, draft a QB, and sign a veteran backup, and under no circumstances should they pick up Wilson's option.  Unless Wilson magically turns into Joe Montana over the next 12 games, he shouldn't even be on the roster next season.    

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

Depends on a lot of things.  How does Rodgers rehab go.  How does Zach look as the season progresses. 

I think, either way, we should draft a QB.  If Rodgers isn't coming back, we gain $37 MM cap and should go 1st round QB.  They say it will be a deep QB class.  Unless Zach looks good, I wouldn't pick up his 5th year.

If Rodgers is coming back, I wouldn't pick up the 5th year on Zach unless he looks like a solid long term solution by year-end.  If Zach looks solid, pick up his 5th year.  Given the weak free agent class, someone may be interested in a trade.  We got a nice haul for Darnold.  Get a good trade, draft a QB in the 1st round to sit behind Rodgers.  If not Zach is the back-up and draft a QB in a later round to develop.  

Agreed

22 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

He's 100 percent coming back. 

The Jets will draft a QB, sign a vet backup and roll with AR. That's what will happen.

Yes, he’s 100% coming back. 

If the Jets draft a QB, it won’t be until the fourth round or later, imho. They’ll use their earlier picks to help the team now. 

Whatever else they do at QB has everything to do with how the rest of this season goes. Zach has a fully guaranteed cap number of $11M in 2024, and that will play into the equation. 

Manning came back from a neck injury and picked up a SB win. Rodgers is a similar class of QB and his injury is a lot less connected to his throwing motion than a spinal injury. The "good" thing about Rodgers dropping in game one is that he has an entire year to recover before the next season starts.

I don't rule out Douglas taking a QB high in the draft and lets ZW go if he doesn't have a strong remainder to the rest of the season. If not, the only semi-serious option is trying to lure in Cousins and take a high QB pick the following year. Outside of that I don't think there's a meaningful difference between Brissett or ZW. It's not a team that's seriously competing for the year. 

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Yes, he’s 100% coming back. 

If the Jets draft a QB, it won’t be until the fourth round or later, imho. They’ll use their earlier picks to help the team now. 

Whatever else they do at QB has everything to do with how the rest of this season goes. Zach has a fully guaranteed cap number of $11M in 2024, and that will play into the equation. 

Way too early to say where they might draft the QB. I would not rule out 1st or 2nd round - especially if JD is able to sufficiently fix the OL through Free Agency.