Your confidence in Saleh?

NFL coaching matters and week after week we start off slow despite having a defense that is supposedly designed to play with a lead.

1. Does Saleh have what it takes to lead this talented yet flawed team to the Playoffs?

2. What changes does he need to make?

3. If they fall short, should he get the opportunity to coach next year?

4. If they fall short, will he get the opportunity to coach next year (too linked to Rodgers)?

My own answers are 

1. I have major doubts because he is too tied to scheme and lacks flexibility to adapt in a way that optimizes the talent on this roster.  I also see someone who is slow to replace underperforming vets..  Cook is the perfect example.

2. Start the game aggressively to get a lead.   Make your game plans less predictable.  Mix your defenses and increase blitzes & man coverage when zone clearly isn’t working.  Have Sauce shadow elite WRs (possibly TEs)

3. No, a very good coach gets this team a Wildcard.  And if Zach isn’t the guy, then a very good coach tells the GM he needs a quality backup (as in before the season)

4. Yes

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

NFL coaching matters and week after week we start off slow despite having a defense that is supposedly designed to play with a lead.

1. Does Saleh have what it takes to lead this talented yet flawed team to the Playoffs?

4. If they fall short, will he get the opportunity to coach next year (too linked to Rodgers)?

1. No.

2. Needs fired, and replaced with an A. Experienced B. Offensive Minded Head Coach.

3. No.

4. Yes.

• Upvote 1

He is a good guy who should be a great permanent DC but will get HC jobs.  He will never be able to build an offensive staff and add to the right personnel decisions.  

He was a good/solid hire by Chris and should be replaced when his contract expires.  Let him coach AR8 out. 

Saleh has put a decent staff together.  Players respect him.

I haven’t seen evidence that he is regularly out coached.  Haven’t seen evidence that he can out coach the opponent.  Verdict remains  neutral at this point  for me.

Zach Wilson’s improved play provides Saleh an opportunity to win games as an underdog.

We all know Philly is a bad matchup for the Jets.  Beat the fn’ Iggles anyway… 

• Upvote 2

There are things I like about him (I like his defensive system and defensive philosophy), but my overall confidence is kinda low. 

1) It’s possible, but I’m not optimistic. 

2) Offensive philosophy - The jets need to be more aggressive in the red zone and take more deep shots (go routes, deep posts, slant and gos, out and ups) with Zach Wilson. The Jets also need to figure out how to start games faster. I’m not sure what the exact fix is, but you can’t trail every game at half time and expect to be a winning team. 

3) It depends on how it happens. Do they win 9 or 10 games but lose a tie-breaker? Do they collapse down the stretch? Is Zach Wilson the sole reason for not making it or does the defense grossly underperform? Do we blow a few big leads? Too many unknowns. 

4) Yes, I think barring a complete disaster (like a worse record than last year), he and JD will be back. The Rodgers injury excuse will be decisive. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Zilch

• Haha 1

we have been in every game but Dallas. we could have beat KC if Zach doesnt fumble and the refs dont rob us on that PI. 

considering how important the QB is and ours sucks he is doing a good job.

1. All depends on Zach. you cant make the playoffs with Zach from NE. but can make it with Zach from KC, minus the fumble. Denver Zach is also not good enough.

just cant make the playoffs these days without a good QB no matter how good the rest of the team is.

2. offense needs to be aggressive like in KC. 

3. depends on how short he is. depends on how bad Zach is. nobody wanted Zach to start, thats why Rodgers is here. you then have to ask yourself who could win with Zach at QB. i bet very few and nobody available to us.

4. #3 is a mute point cause Rodgers is coming back and he isnt going to want a new HC in his last NFL year. 

but lets play devils advocate. if they did fire Saleh what do you really think would happen? i think one of 2 things would happen...

A. the new HC would be forced to keep Hackett. hes not going anywhere as long as Rodgers is here. that would stop the best candidates from coming here that they cant pick there own OC. 

and sorry @Warfish but if that happens no offensive HC will come here cause Hackett will be in charge of the offense. you know thats what Rodgers will want. the new HC would be another DC so Hackett can do whatever Rodgers wants.

OR

B. Rodgers pushes Woody to make Hackett the new HC. and Rodgers will get what he wants. if you need evidence just look at the dead weight of Cobb and Boyle still on this team because of Rodgers.

so all you guys who want Saleh fired i think A or B would be a hell of a lot worst than keeping everyone for one more year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1.  Yup.  Need a little better luck with injuries moving forward though.

2.  Defensive adjustments earlier in games.

3.  Yes.

4.  Yes.

Since most of the board thinks Zach sucks, the OL sucks and the WR unit isn’t deep enough, then Saleh has out coached McDermott, Reid and Payton.  

Seriously leave him alone, let him grow and stop thinking about dumping him when there’s no reason too.  Especially for an offensive coach as if that’s magic because as we all know, defensive HC know nothing about offense

• Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

No

Stop the Zach experiment 

No

No

There are a handful of coaches who win games.  Saleh isn't one of them.  He's a tool of the talent.   The Jets talent is good because they have sucked for a long time and have had higher draft choices than the mean for years now.  

He will never figure out a way to out scheme the opposition.  He's completely dependent on having a better roster than the opposition.  Last year he lost twice to the Pats with a better roster.  This year he's lost to them with a much better roster.  

As far as culture. Winning culture comes from winning.  Everything else is simply noise.  

Does that mean he should be fired.  I'm against firing anyone.  The odds of Woody improving either the GM or the HC is extremely low.  Mediocre neutral is as good as it gets.   If we get lucky with a QB and draft to the mean everywhere else, we should make the playoffs once ever 4 to 6 years.  The NFL doesn't punish mediocrity it rewards it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1) Yes

2) Start the game better. Offense and Defense

3) yes

4) yes

I think Saleh is a good head coach and has made serious strides this season, particularly with the response after the Rodgers injury.

He had them beat Buffalo, and played well enough to win against KC. 

Some games are concern with him:

- Seattle and Detroit last year where we still had a chance to make the playoffs. We laid an egg against Seattle and really should have beaten Detroit at home. They were must wins and we didn't get it done.

I guess we'll see how the rest of the season goes. We have talent and should at least be able to stay in the playoff hunt into December. If we completely fall apart though and end up winning only 3-4 games then I think his job would rightfully be in question.

• Upvote 2

I think Saleh is a reasonably good coach.

1) I think he's a pretty good player motivator. I think the players generally like and respect him, although his player friendly approach backfired a little bit with some "bad apples" last year.

2) I think his defensive scheme and defensive player evaluation has generally been very good. They rebuilt that defense from the studs and I think it's very good.

3) Despite "getting it" from an analytics point of view he's certainly shown his propensity to be very conservative and veteran heavy from time to time which has annoyed me. Hard to blame him given the state of the offense, however.

4) I think if he had a solid QB and OC the team would be very competitive. The difference between us and the Lions right now, IMO, is that they have a solid/above average QB (Goff) and a stud young OC (Ben Johnson) and we have a headcase bust and Aaron Rodgers' buddy. I'm a MLF fan and think he was generally doing a good job here overcoming poor QB play, but regardless, missing on the QB/OC combo is what is going to cost Saleh his job and is the reason he hasn't been more successful.

• Upvote 2