Game Observations (PHI)

KRL

15 minutes ago, KRL said:

Shocking!!!  With the secondary playing their #5, #6 and #7 CBs the defense put on an
epic performance to lead the Jets to their first win ever over PHI, 20-14.  Normally
I would be "giddy" but with the bye-week coming up I'm reminded of last year's win
over BUF.  That too was unexpected and the Jets headed into the bye at 6-3 with the
division and playoff spot in their sights.  We all know what happened as the team
collapsed and finished 1-7 to end the season.  There's a ton that needs to be improved
on the offensive side of the ball.  But credit to Robert Saleh and his staff for
coaching up an undermanned roster and taking down the last undefeated team.  Let's
take a look:   

(Stats from: https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401547480)

Special Teams

- Thank goodness for Greg Zuerlein as he bailed out the offense again with a perfect
4/4 on FGs.  If at least half of those FGs can be changed to XPs I'll be happier

- What a pleasure to have a reliable punter as Thomas Morstead (Braden "Shank" Mann is
on PHI) had a 48.5 yd avg on four punts.  And he put three of them inside the 20 yard
line

- Irvin Charles stood out again as a gunner making another open field tackle inside
the 10 yard line.  With Justin Hardee going down there's a role open for him to fill.
His first two games show why Brant Boyer raved about him in camp

Defense

- I thought Jeff Ulbrich would get "funky" in his deployment of personnel with so many
CBs out.  But he stayed pretty standard and trusted the backups to do their jobs.  Credit
to the players and staff for being assignment sound, there were very few "blown" coverages.
And fortunately when they did happen PHI receivers dropped the ball

- To hold PHI to 14 points and none in the second half is incredible.  Add in the fact that
they also produced 4 Turnovers, 2 Sacks and 12 PBUs with #5, #6 and #7 CBs, who saw that
coming?  With the Jet injuries did PHI take this game for granted (get too cute)?  They're
a devastating run team (164 yds a game coming in) but only attempted 22 rushes and got held
to 80 yards.  It felt like PHI wanted to rack up "sexy air stats" as they attempted 45
passes it didn't work, sucks for them

- Quincy Williams (Fred Warner East?) continued his breakout year as he had another 12
Tackles, TFL, PBU and a fumble recovery.  And if he didn't get so anxious maybe a scoop
and score

- The "other" Williams brother, Quinnen, secured the interior of the DLine and showed
good hands coming up with an INT

- CJ Mosley recovered from last week's up and down performance and was more consistent.
Generating 9 Tackles, PBU and a forced fumble while helping in zone coverage with deep
drops

- Fantastic game by the safeties, Tony Adams and Jordan Whitehead.  With inexperience
at the corners they didn't have any breakdowns as they provided help over the top.
Whitehead had 3 Tackles and 2 PBUs while Adams had 7 Tackles, TFL, PBU and the game
changing INT

- Special mention to the CBs Bryce Hall, Craig James and Tae Hayes.  Tight coverage
on PHI WRs even though AJ Brown had 7 catches for 131 yards:
 * Hall with 3 Tackles, 2 PBUs and an INT
 * James with a Tackle and a PBU
 * Hayes with 2 Tackles

- Bryce Huff and Jermaine Johnson were twin terrors coming off the edge.  Causing
havoc all game as Huff had 3 Tackles, 1.5 Sacks, TFL and 2 QB Hits.  While Johnson
had 2 Tackles, 3 PBUs and caused two INTs one with his punch out of the ball into
Quinnen Williams hands.  And the other with a deflection of a Jalen Hurts pass into
Bryce Hall's hands

Offense

- Another game and another poor performance in the red zone.  Where are the TE targets
that we saw during camp for TDs?  With the defense generating 4 turnovers the offense
struggled taking advantage of those extra opportunities.  On two of those turnovers
the offense went 4 and out and 3 and out, have to improve.  On the positive front I
like how Nathaniel Hackett didn't coddle Zach Wilson and allowed him to throw often
and vertical

- The OLine has to get stablized during the bye, Joe Tippmann went down with an injury
and Max Mitchell struggled at RT

- Were illegal crack back blocks taught in GB?  Because both Randall Cobb (in pre-season)
and Allen Lazard yesterday seem to specialize in them.  Lazard's was particularly awful
as the offense had a free play and Zach Wilson found Garrett Wilson for a 20 yard gain
down to the 15.  But it was all wiped out as the ball was moved back to the 50 yard
line for a 35 YARD PENALTY

- Breece Hall wasn't as dynamic as last week.  As he had 12 rushes for 39 yards and a
TD while catching 5 passes for 54 yards.  At first I thought he should've taken a knee
on his score to drain the clock.  But with PHI having two timeouts left Hall did the
right thing.  It was better to be up 6 points with 1:40 left instead of being up by
1 with one minute left

- Nice to see Garrett Wilson get fed a ton of targets (12) as he came up with 8 catches
for 90 yards

- More reps and targets for Tyler Conklin (3 catches / 24 yards) and Jeremy Ruckert 
(1 catch / 8 yards) please.  The Conklin slant route over the middle always seems to
be open.  And the CJ Uzomah "whiffs" in run blocking are concerning

- Will there be a change in the RB rotation during the bye?  Dalvin Cook still looks
like "LeVeon Bell 2.0" and the speed of Izzy Abanikanda is looming on the bench

QB

- Zach Wilson took care of the ball and didn't lose the game like Jalen Hurts did.
He was 19/33 (58%) for 185 yards and managed the game, hopefully during the bye we
can see more growth where the KC game is his floor        

Great Analysis as Always!

Especially impressed with Bryce Hall & Craig James.    Please get Izzy some reps at Cooks expense after the bye.   Trade Lawson before the deadline.  Receivers had too many drops and the penalties again are killers.   Ulbrich has taken a lot of heat but he has really been doing a great job.  

And is too much to ask that Sauce not be sending out Tweets during the game. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Shocking!!!  With the secondary playing their #5, #6 and #7 CBs the defense put on an
epic performance to lead the Jets to their first win ever over PHI, 20-14.  Normally
I would be "giddy" but with the bye-week coming up I'm reminded of last year's win
over BUF.  That too was unexpected and the Jets headed into the bye at 6-3 with the
division and playoff spot in their sights.  We all know what happened as the team
collapsed and finished 1-7 to end the season.  There's a ton that needs to be improved
on the offensive side of the ball.  But credit to Robert Saleh and his staff for
coaching up an undermanned roster and taking down the last undefeated team.  Let's
take a look:   

(Stats from: https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401547480)

Special Teams

- Thank goodness for Greg Zuerlein as he bailed out the offense again with a perfect
4/4 on FGs.  If at least half of those FGs can be changed to XPs I'll be happier

- What a pleasure to have a reliable punter as Thomas Morstead (Braden "Shank" Mann is
on PHI) had a 48.5 yd avg on four punts.  And he put three of them inside the 20 yard
line

- Irvin Charles stood out again as a gunner making another open field tackle inside
the 10 yard line.  With Justin Hardee going down there's a role open for him to fill.
His first two games show why Brant Boyer raved about him in camp

Defense

- I thought Jeff Ulbrich would get "funky" in his deployment of personnel with so many
CBs out.  But he stayed pretty standard and trusted the backups to do their jobs.  Credit
to the players and staff for being assignment sound, there were very few "blown" coverages.
And fortunately when they did happen PHI receivers dropped the ball

- To hold PHI to 14 points and none in the second half is incredible.  Add in the fact that
they also produced 4 Turnovers, 2 Sacks and 12 PBUs with #5, #6 and #7 CBs, who saw that
coming?  With the Jet injuries did PHI take this game for granted (get too cute)?  They're
a devastating run team (164 yds a game coming in) but only attempted 22 rushes and got held
to 80 yards.  It felt like PHI wanted to rack up "sexy air stats" as they attempted 45
passes it didn't work, sucks for them

- Quincy Williams (Fred Warner East?) continued his breakout year as he had another 12
Tackles, TFL, PBU and a fumble recovery.  And if he didn't get so anxious maybe a scoop
and score

- The "other" Williams brother, Quinnen, secured the interior of the DLine and showed
good hands coming up with an INT

- CJ Mosley recovered from last week's up and down performance and was more consistent.
Generating 9 Tackles, PBU and a forced fumble while helping in zone coverage with deep
drops

- Fantastic game by the safeties, Tony Adams and Jordan Whitehead.  With inexperience
at the corners they didn't have any breakdowns as they provided help over the top.
Whitehead had 3 Tackles and 2 PBUs while Adams had 7 Tackles, TFL, PBU and the game
changing INT

- Special mention to the CBs Bryce Hall, Craig James and Tae Hayes.  Tight coverage
on PHI WRs even though AJ Brown had 7 catches for 131 yards:
 * Hall with 3 Tackles, 2 PBUs and an INT
 * James with a Tackle and a PBU
 * Hayes with 2 Tackles

- Bryce Huff and Jermaine Johnson were twin terrors coming off the edge.  Causing
havoc all game as Huff had 3 Tackles, 1.5 Sacks, TFL and 2 QB Hits.  While Johnson
had 2 Tackles, 3 PBUs and caused two INTs one with his punch out of the ball into
Quinnen Williams hands.  And the other with a deflection of a Jalen Hurts pass into
Bryce Hall's hands

Offense

- Another game and another poor performance in the red zone.  Where are the TE targets
that we saw during camp for TDs?  With the defense generating 4 turnovers the offense
struggled taking advantage of those extra opportunities.  On two of those turnovers
the offense went 4 and out and 3 and out, that has to improve.  On the positive front I
like how Nathaniel Hackett didn't coddle Zach Wilson and allowed him to throw often
and vertical

- The OLine has to get stablized during the bye, Joe Tippmann went down with an injury
and Max Mitchell struggled at RT

- Were illegal crack back blocks taught in GB?  Because both Randall Cobb (in pre-season)
and Allen Lazard yesterday seem to specialize in them.  Lazard's was particularly awful
as the offense had a free play and Zach Wilson found Garrett Wilson for a 20 yard gain
down to the 15.  But it was all wiped out as the ball was moved back to the 50 yard
line for a 35 YARD PENALTY

- Breece Hall wasn't as dynamic as last week.  As he had 12 rushes for 39 yards and a
TD while catching 5 passes for 54 yards.  At first I thought he should've taken a knee
on his score to drain the clock.  But with PHI having two timeouts left Hall did the
right thing.  It was better to be up 6 points with 1:40 left instead of being up by
1 with one minute left

- Nice to see Garrett Wilson get fed a ton of targets (12) as he came up with 8 catches
for 90 yards

- More reps and targets for Tyler Conklin (3 catches / 24 yards) and Jeremy Ruckert 
(1 catch / 8 yards) please.  The Conklin slant route over the middle always seems to

- Will there be a change in the RB rotation during the bye?  Dalvin Cook still looks
like "LeVeon Bell 2.0" and the speed of Izzy Abanikanda is looming on the bench

QB

- Zach Wilson took care of the ball and didn't lose the game like Jalen Hurts did.
He was 19/33 (58%) for 185 yards and managed the game, hopefully during the bye we

Awesome job as always

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, JetPotato said:

I really hate to say this, but the way we plug and played a couple of guys most of us have never heard of into the cornerback position reminded me of how the Patriots used to do the exact same. So impressed.

It's what made Saleh a hot head coaching candidate. In his last year in San Fran, they had a ton of injuries on the defense and didn't miss a beat.

I'm not a huge fan of his, but I'll give credit where it's due. It's amazing how well they played with so many guys out.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Couldn't agree more.  Outside of Garrett Wilson, our receiving corps is pretty mediocre.  Ruckert and Conklin can make up for it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, KRL said:

QB

Being positive about him can trigger chaos in this forum. 

There will be growth and it is already showing. Whether or not people want to accept it, is on them. 

8 minutes ago, Claymation said:

🤣

Looks like the Jets exposed the Iggles as the frauds they are. The entire offense seems to be Hurts to Brown. That was pretty arrogant of them on the last play assuming they’d get the final score after “letting” Breece into the end zone. I guess they weren’t paying attention the previous 28 minutes. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, PS17 said:

AJ Brown is ridiculous. He’s simultaneously an imposing physical monster but plays so gracefully. His hands are sooooo soft and so strong. If the ball is in his vicinity he makes the catch. 

I was in the stands yesterday and every big catch he made, I wasn’t even mad. The coverage was excellent most of the day. Sometimes a superstar just beats you. 

Very true.  I was also impressed with the pass Hurts got off while MC was draped over his arm.  Those are plays you can't hate.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Having nothing to do with team record, or playoff chances, or anything else, there are some really interesting metrics out there that make me shake my head in disbelief.  Here's one that will make any Jet fan (even the most curmudgeonly) smile:

The Jets are +5 in turnover differential this season.  Tied for 6th in the league.

The Patriots are -8 in turnover differential this season.  Tied for last.

Suck it, BB.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Credit where due.

This was a relative coaching masterpiece by Saleh and Ulbrich.

The Philly TD shouldn’t have counted, as it was ruled short on the field with no conclusive evidence to overturn.

Most encouraging thing about Ulbrich is his ability to make in-game adjustments, something that has plagued Jet coaches forever.

The D in the 2nd halves of these games has been lights out. 👍😀

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Very true.  I was also impressed with the pass Hurts got off while MC was draped over his arm.  Those are plays you can't hate.

Hurts is another one. I know he had a bad game but he’s just so tough to defend. He escaped the rush so many times, was excruciating to watch at times.

• Upvote 1

There were a few plays when it was third and long, including the last offensive play for Philly, where they rushed 3 and used Huff as a spy on Hurts.

The ability to take a guy like Huff at DE and allow him to spy, rather then a LB or safety really helps flood the zone with pass defenders instead of committing one of them as the spy.

• Upvote 1

Very happy for the organization. To finally beat the Feagles was quite an accomplishment. It would not shock me 1 bit to see Philly in the NFCC Game and possibly in the SB again once they get healthy and get Jalen Hurts unf**ked with the new OC. Still cannot believe some of the throws he made, mainly the last play on 4th down. They should have just run the ball down our throats regardless of our banged up secondary.

Can we send CJ Usomah back to Cincy for a bag of balls or something? Guy's done squat here and is a liability blocking.

I just cannot believe what a special player Quincy Wiliams has become. He reminds me so much of Demario Davis, coming out of nowhere to become an absolute star.

Extend / resign #47 TODAY

OL still an issue but look who they played against. Playing Phi without AVT and Tippman for most of the game and still finding a way to win is so un jet like I don't quite know how to handle it. Philly is a monstrous team on both sides, which makes this win more amazing even.

Great 2 weeks to heal up and continue winning. I am nervous about coming off of the buy, we always lose coming off of the off week. The Giants have no season and nothing to play for, except to beat us. Have to come back mean and ready to put them away early,

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

AJ Brown is ridiculous. He’s simultaneously an imposing physical monster but plays so gracefully. His hands are sooooo soft and so strong. If the ball is in his vicinity he makes the catch. 

I was in the stands yesterday and every big catch he made, I wasn’t even mad. The coverage was excellent most of the day. Sometimes a superstar just beats you. 

that trade got the Tenn GM fired, how do they let him walk.  He and Henry would have kept them cooking with vrabel  

• Upvote 1