Jump to content

Zach Wilson can still become a great QB


Recommended Posts

If he had greatness in him, he'd have demonstrated it by now.

He is what he is.  A QB3 masquerading as a game manager masquerading as (in much of JN's mind) a "high ceiling prospect".  He doesn't have a high ceiling and he's a poor game manager.  Basically none of the things you'd look for in a QB1 or even a QB2.

It's Year 3 and a quarter of this board still treats him like a rookie.

  • Upvote 8
  • Thumb Down 8
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jbt said:

he is turning in to a good backup QB, which is is

Good backup QB's don't take 9 sacks over a 2-week period by holding onto the ball like a doofus.  

And the folks blaming the OL for those can get bent.  There's a reason why Mike White and Joe Flacco only took sacks on 4 % of snaps from 2021-2022 while Zach Wilson took sacks on nearly 10 % of snaps despite being much more mobile.  Hint:  It's not the OL's fault.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 8
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, genot said:

Would you agree that he never should have been inserted as the starting QB his rookie year, and that very well might have slowed down his development. 

The data on QB's starting right away and being allowed to sit is decidedly mixed.  Suffice it to say that sitting for a few weeks or even a full year can't fix a slow processing brain.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The data on QB's starting right away and being allowed to sit is decidedly mixed.  Suffice it to say that sitting for a few weeks or even a full year can't fix a slow processing brain.

When your playing backyard football at BYU, and you become an NFL QB, behind a bad offensive line, it probably would be overwhelming for most everybody. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, genot said:

When your playing backyard football at BYU, and you become an NFL QB, behind a bad offensive line, it probably would be overwhelming for most everybody. 

The OL has not been bad since he entered the league.  This is an enormous myth.  Elite OL?  No.  About average?  You bet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Remember when all the fanboys were holding onto his 70% completion percentage as his source of improvement?

Well he was back down to 58% yesterday.

Improvement or regression?

That should help your argument that Zach Sucks.

At the end of the day he is the Jets QB until Aaron comes back. I just want to make the playoffs so I can see Aaron play and read threads that Zach should have started because Aaron sucks because Tony Romo says he does. Those types of threads are always entertaining.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd love to believe that the long term answer at QB is already on the roster, but there just isn't enough evidence. He's where you expected him to be his rookie year. There's progress, but it may be too slow to keep up with the rest of the team.

Let's see how the rest of the year plays out.

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He may be a serviceable backup one day.  Definitely won't be a great QB.  The only flash I saw from him was in Kansas City.  He still holds the ball too long, his pocket awareness is shaky at best and doesn't throw with anticipation.  He is who he is and I've accepted the fact that they will probably roll with him for the rest of the season at this point.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The OL has not been bad since he entered the league.  This is an enormous myth.  Elite OL?  No.  About average?  You bet.

I'm not making the argument that Wilson has been held back by others. I think he was a raw prospect who was overdrafts. The potential for him to be a quality QB is there. He finally is starting to consistently do the things he needs to do to allow him to develop further. Footwork, staying in the pocket, looking at the whole field before he throws. Those things will allow him to progress. Possibly. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Same Old Jets said:

I want to start by saying that watching Zach Wilson develop in the last three weeks has been a very welcome surprise. I think that I speak for the majority of the fans, that we wrote him off since being drafted, because I know that I am one of them. Objectively speaking, Zach's numbers are not very pleasing, However, from the time that he was drafted until the past three weeks, we can finally say that Saleh and company have found a way to get the max out of Zach.  

Not all the great ones started flashy, but throughout repetitive drills and exposure they became elite, Zach Wilson is a smart and talented kid at only 23, we need to give him a chance to continue developing and improving under Hackett and AR.  

I truly believe that after being exposed to the best teams early on, that his confidence is only going to continue to grow, and the possibilities of him becoming a great QB are more realistic than the pessimism surrounding him. 

I agree that he's improving and will likely continue to improve now that the crazy part of the schedule is behind us.  I have this vision of him starting to play better the next 3 games (Giants, Chargers and Raiders) and then he realizes that the game has slowed down enough for him that he can just play like he did against KC.  

 

22 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Getting better but still a long way to go.

Fair enough.  Maybe this sounds crazy but I still think there's a chance he can blossom into a quality starting QB.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Same Old Jets said:

I want to start by saying that watching Zach Wilson develop in the last three weeks has been a very welcome surprise. I think that I speak for the majority of the fans, that we wrote him off since being drafted, because I know that I am one of them. Objectively speaking, Zach's numbers are not very pleasing, However, from the time that he was drafted until the past three weeks, we can finally say that Saleh and company have found a way to get the max out of Zach.  

Not all the great ones started flashy, but throughout repetitive drills and exposure they became elite, Zach Wilson is a smart and talented kid at only 23, we need to give him a chance to continue developing and improving under Hackett and AR.  

I truly believe that after being exposed to the best teams early on, that his confidence is only going to continue to grow, and the possibilities of him becoming a great QB are more realistic than the pessimism surrounding him. 

Teams have been allowed to destroy Zach with impunity. Most teams are called for roughing the passer by hitting the QB with hits much more legal than the ones that Zach takes. For those who defend that kind of officiating by saying that those calls are made only for good QBs, I respond that that's not the way the game was meant to be officiated. No matter what people find acceptable or excusable. I am not saying that this is the reason for his poor play, I am simply implying that there are other factors at play here.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Ugh 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

He may be a serviceable backup one day.  Definitely won't be a great QB.  The only flash I saw from him was in Kansas City.  He still holds the ball too long, his pocket awareness is shaky at best and doesn't throw with anticipation.  He is who he is and I've accepted the fact that they will probably roll with him for the rest of the season at this point.  

I partially agree with you, because the mental aspect has been the most questionable part of his game. However, I have seen improvement on pocket presence and making quicker/crispier throws. Have you seen him decline or progress on his mental awareness? I vote that he has improved but still has a lot of work to do. Hey, watching overrated Malhomes and Hurts should give us a glance of hope after all. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, genot said:

I'm not making the argument that Wilson has been held back by others. I think he was a raw prospect who was overdrafts. The potential for him to be a quality QB is there. He finally is starting to consistently do the things he needs to do to allow him to develop further. Footwork, staying in the pocket, looking at the whole field before he throws. Those things will allow him to progress. Possibly. 

He can improve in small ways, but you can't fix the biggest issue:  A slow processing brain.  That will ALWAYS cause him to leave far too many points on the board.  It's the biggest reason why he struggles so much in the RZ, and that will always be present.  You can't win, consistently, with FGs in this league.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If he had greatness in him, he'd have demonstrated it by now.
He is what he is.  A QB3 masquerading as a game manager masquerading as (in much of JN's mind) a "high ceiling prospect".  He doesn't have a high ceiling and he's a poor game manager.  Basically none of the things you'd look for in a QB1 or even a QB2.
It's Year 3 and a quarter of this board still treats him like a rookie.
Disagree ... Kids out of school oftentimes take years to develop .. Maholmes and Burrows are near unicorns ..add to that a rookie coaching staff that had no clue what they were doing ..I'd say the arrow is pointing straight up and his ascendence has never been more likely.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He can improve in small ways, but you can't fix the biggest issue:  A slow processing brain.  That will ALWAYS cause him to leave far too many points on the board.  It's the biggest reason why he struggles so much in the RZ, and that will always be present.  You can't win, consistently, with FGs in this league.

He definitely needs to improve but I think he has shown good signs this year (his accuracy is much better than last year). And yesterday he even added that trick where his cadence was throwing the Eagles off and he created that free play (that we got penalized 15 yards on).

The next 3 games are against the Giants, Chargers and Raiders.  Let's see how ZW plays in those games.  I expect more progress from him and think he's going to win some people over.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

Disagree ... Kids out of school oftentimes take years to develop .. Maholmes and Burrows are near unicorns ..add to that a rookie coaching staff that had no clue what they were doing ..I'd say the arrow is pointing straight up and his ascendence has never been more likely.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
 

Nearly 2.5 seasons and 28 games in this league.  That's plenty of data points to say whether greatness is in him.

His ceiling is a poor man's Geno Smith.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

He may be a serviceable backup one day.  Definitely won't be a great QB.  The only flash I saw from him was in Kansas City.  He still holds the ball too long, his pocket awareness is shaky at best and doesn't throw with anticipation.  He is who he is and I've accepted the fact that they will probably roll with him for the rest of the season at this point.  

This is a fair and likely projection of zach . I know we are all dying to finally have a franchise qb we drafted. But it’s only some jet fans who see anything in this guy. The rest of the league is impartial and laugh at him just as much as they did of mark sanchez. 
 

I think rodgers is doing all he can to get back by end of season. Because he knows how much the team needs him. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Watch the 'every pass' tape.

First of all, Lazard dropped one gimme and Cobb dropped 2.  The Lazard pass and one of the Cobb passes were on the hands.  Lazard also cost him a very nice completion to Wilson on that penalty.

Second, Zach had to deal with a LOT of pressure.  He made most of his quick dump/screen passes where he wouldn't have last season.  He used Breece and Conklin multiple times to success.

He still seems to struggle most in the red zone, but there is no doubt he has improved substantially from last year.  Still not close to being a great QB, but it's light and day different now.  He does see the field more often and makes better decisions and better passes.  Not a guy you give up on just to bring in the Colt McCoys of the world.

 

He also lost an excellent completion to GW on the "free play" that ZW also created with his cadence.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He also lost an excellent completion to GW on the "free play" that ZW also created with his cadence.

That was the Lazard penalty I referred to.  Yeah, that was what, 30 yards and might have led to more by keeping the drive going?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...