Looking ahead at remaining schedule

I find the idea that the Jets are an "clear favorite" over the Commanders to be an interesting thought.  Alot of games between now and then to provide a more accurate reading, but I'd expect that game to be much closer to even, with maybe a shift to the Jets for home field. 'Ders O is better than ours by quite a bit, with a better QB, better skill players at WR, worse at #1 RB but better at RB as a group (depends on Izzy), and a similarly average or maybe worse O-line.  'Ders Defense has been a huge disappointment so far, they were expected to be as good or even slightly better than ours.  I expect they'll improve, albeit who knows by how much.  I think the 'Ders will likely be a very tough game and end quite close.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I find the idea that the Jets are an "clear favorite" over the Commanders to be an interesting thought.  Alot of games between now and then to provide a more accurate reading, but I'd expect that game to be much closer to even, with maybe a shift to the Jets for home field. 'Ders O is better than ours by quite a bit, with a better QB, better skill players at WR, worse at #1 RB but better at RB as a group (depends on Izzy), and a similarly average or maybe worse O-line.  'Ders Defense has been a huge disappointment so far, they were expected to be as good or even slightly better than ours.  I expect they'll improve, albeit who knows by how much.  I think the 'Ders will likely be a very tough game and end quite close.

With Zach Wilson as the qb, we are not a clear favorite over anyone.  We are going to have to play good football and grind out wins over all of these teams.  We have a long road ahead of us.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I agree that one is closer than most of the others I had us as favorites. I put it in that category because of home field. Raiders away is pretty close also. And the Texans are looking much better than expected. Truth is, Jet’s might not be “clear” or heavy favorites in any of those games. But hey … for this exercise, you gotta chalk some up as expected wins.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

I agree that one is closer than most of the others I had us as favorites. I put it in that category because of home field. Raiders away is pretty close also. And the Texans are looking much better than expected. Truth is, Jet’s might not be “clear” or heavy favorites in any of those games. But hey … for this exercise, you gotta chalk some up as expected wins.

In fairness, I'm biased a little, being a DC region local, I get to hear more than my fair share of their fans and talk radio, lol.  They feel we're one of their "easy games", so it proves the meta that fans are fans, no matter where they are or who they root for, you see the same stuff everywhere.

This is where things get tricky because it seems every year we perform better than expected in the perceived tough stretch of the schedule then ultimately lose more games in the perceived easy part of the schedule.

Like last year we penciled in Detroit and Jax as late season wins, but no one expected them to be 2 of the hottest teams when we faced them.  Schedule predictions make me nervous.

That said, we continue to play like we have and we can beat anyone in the league!

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

40 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Outside of the Giants and Pats(who we cant beat), there are a lot of good teams on our remaining schedule.

We are going to have to play some really good football to have a shot at the playoffs.

Disagree.  We have the Bills number and I think we take At least one from Miami.  

• Upvote 1

I think with Buffalo and Miami still yet to play their gauntlet, the Jets should be shooting for nothing less than 3-0 before the 11/19 Bills game. Looking at their schedules I see both the Dolphins and Bills being 8-4 after 12 games. Jets can be right with their with them with wins against NYG, LAC, LV, ATL + a split with buf/mia.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Disagree.  We have the Bills number and I think we take At least one from Miami.  

Miami can score almost at will

If we play them after Rodgers returns, I think we ll have a better chance.   Not sure we can contain them well enough to win with Wilson , but Ill be watching and rooting for our boys regardless.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Outside of the Giants and Pats(who we cant beat), there are a lot of good teams on our remaining schedule.

We are going to have to play some really good football to have a shot at the playoffs.

That's true but MUCH easier than the first 6 games.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

I think we’ll need to get to 10 wins to be confident of a playoff spot in the AFC (side note: There were a lot of inter-conference games this weekend and, other than the Chargers last night, pretty much every AFC wildcard contender won this weekend — Browns, Bengals, Bills wins against NFC teams particularly hurt us).

We have 3 wins to date, so probably need 7 more to make the playoffs.

As things stand right now, I think we’d be favored against 6 teams:

Giants

Raiders

Falcons

Texans

Commanders

Patriots

I feel like all those games are very winnable but, that said, realistically I’d guess we loose at least one of those.

Which means we have to win 2 of the following 5:

Chargers (home)

Bills (away)

Browns (away)

Dolphins (home)

Dolphins (away)

Chargers home is the most likely of those, imo — and will be crucial to our chances. Win that and we need 1 win in out of the other 4 games, and I’d say any of those are possible, but none are probable. But, overall, I’d say it’s likely we pick off at least one of those games, so if we handle our business in at least 5 of the “easier” games, we would get to 10.

Now watch — it’ll probably play out nothing like that. But that’s my best guess as to how it might unfold in a best case scenario.

Well the Jets have played six games.  Two have been against the Broncos and Patriots which the whole world can agree are not very good teams.   The Pats game was at home.  Of those six games the Jets have been favored in none.  What is going to change so much during the bye week  to strengthen our team (or the perception of our team) so much that we are suddenly favored in six of our remaining games?  We will probably be slight underdogs to the Giants and Raiders on the road and slight favorites over the Falcons at home.  Texans and Commanders at home will be very slight faves, Pats on the road absolutely no way.

Jets will lose to the Pats, almost for sure, and Washington, Houston, Atlanta are not to be laughed at. They're gonna need some luck for your scenario to happen. Unless the offense starts scoring more than 23 ppg, I don't see the team making the playoffs.

• Thumb Down 1

By the time the Jets have to leave MetLife stadium, they'll be 5-3 and headed to Vegas. The Raiders will be a tough game, but the Jets will squeak out a W to improve to 6-3. After a great Vegas trip, it'll be two divisional games in a row. Bills are a mess by then, and get swept by the Jets...head home and win an epic game against the Dolphins putting the Jets at 8-3 and in first place in the AFC East. Then we have two more at MetLife vs the Falcons and Texans...10-3. At the Dolphins ends the Jets 7 game win streak, to fall to 10-4 and tied with the Phins for 1st place. Go home and beat the Commanders in a pretty good game until the Jets defense closes the game out. Jets are 11-4 with the last two on the road. Jets finally beat the now tanking Patriots sitting at 12-4 with one game left vs the Browns on the road. Jets will slip up vs the Browns and finish 12-5, awaiting the Bills at Dolphins on SNF to see if they earn their 1st division title since 2002. Bills win, and the Jets celebrate. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Giant fan say

a wuut.gif

I was almost surprised when I noticed the Patriots have more points scored on the season than the Giants.

Which, by the way, the Giants on the whole season have scored one more point than the Dolphins did in one game against the Broncos. Patriots are 1 point ahead of the Giants.

Never thought that the 2 teams most closely grouped with the Jets have incredibly worse offenses.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

By the time the Jets have to leave MetLife stadium, they'll be 5-3 and headed to Vegas. The Raiders will be a tough game, but the Jets will squeak out a W to improve to 6-3. After a great Vegas trip, it'll be two divisional games in a row. Bills are a mess by then, and get swept by the Jets...head home and win an epic game against the Dolphins putting the Jets at 8-3 and in first place in the AFC East. Then we have two more at MetLife vs the Falcons and Texans...10-3. At the Dolphins ends the Jets 7 game win streak, to fall to 10-4 and tied with the Phins for 1st place. Go home and beat the Commanders in a pretty good game until the Jets defense closes the game out. Jets are 11-4 with the last two on the road. Jets finally beat the now tanking Patriots sitting at 12-4 with one game left vs the Browns on the road. Jets will slip up vs tge Browns and finish 12-5, awaiting the Bills at Dolphins on SNF to see if they earn their 1st division title since 2002. Bills win, and the Jets celebrate. 

And then they get blown out by the 5 seed Dolphins in wild card.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Agreed , this “ easy schedule after the bye “ narrative is a myth . 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

I think we’ll need to get to 10 wins to be confident of a playoff spot in the AFC (side note: There were a lot of inter-conference games this weekend and, other than the Chargers last night, pretty much every AFC wildcard contender won this weekend — Browns, Bengals, Bills wins against NFC teams particularly hurt us).

We have 3 wins to date, so probably need 7 more to make the playoffs.

As things stand right now, I think we’d be favored against 6 teams:

Giants

Raiders

Falcons

Texans

Commanders

Patriots

I feel like all those games are very winnable but, that said, realistically I’d guess we loose at least one of those.

Which means we have to win 2 of the following 5:

Chargers (home)

Bills (away)

Browns (away)

Dolphins (home)

Dolphins (away)

Chargers home is the most likely of those, imo — and will be crucial to our chances. Win that and we need 1 win in out of the other 4 games, and I’d say any of those are possible, but none are probable. But, overall, I’d say it’s likely we pick off at least one of those games, so if we handle our business in at least 5 of the “easier” games, we would get to 10.

Now watch — it’ll probably play out nothing like that. But that’s my best guess as to how it might unfold in a best case scenario.

For Fins here in NJ it will be cold for them so we should have a better chance to win then improbable.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Predicting the outcome of our games is gonna be tough, no matter who the opponent is.  We can't keep falling behind early, and unless the offense opens up and can find ways to consistently get into the end zone, our margin for error is so thin. 

I am thrilled to be 3-3 after the 1-3 start.  I think this team has proven they can play with anyone.  We have beaten two SB contenders, but no games are a given the way we play.  

One or two plays in the 4th quarter can change everything. 

• Upvote 3

I would take this down a coaching path.

our biggest strength and suprise to at least me is the ability to adjust at halftime especially on defense

of the remaining teams, I see that coaching advantage over chargers, Texans, commanders, falcons and raiders.

not sure about the giants although this early their staff has been disappointing.

so if that holds - 9 wins and maybe they squeak out 10?

If there is a script for the Jets season, it's to be 8-8 heading into New England with the playoffs on the line. The Jets win and have their 'monkey off the back' moment, along with breaking the playoff drought. It will be the most memorable day in recent Jets history

43 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Miami with Tua is a tough out.  Without him, they are far, far easier.  It's impossible to predict those games until we see if he can stay out of the blue tent.

Just keep pressuring him and he will play scared like Jalen did in the 2nd half of this past game.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

agree with the whole post, but agree with this part even more.

Sam Howell can throw the ball. Have to treat him, game plan-wise, the same way we did Mahomes, Allen & Hurts.

He's been pleasantly surprising so far.  Takes waaaaay too many sacks, but overall, good enough, early enough folks here want to see more.

• Upvote 1