Designed Runs for Zach, Where’s M. Carter

Ulrich

Zach is an athletic dude who can run it pretty well. Hope Hackett draws up some designed runs for him moving forward. Could really help the offense, make it harder for defenses to defend it. 

Also where the hell is Michael Carter, why isn’t Hackett using him more? He was dynamic as a rookie. Since then LaFleur & Hackett have put him on ice. It’s not like Cook is doing much of anything. 

• WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, Hex said:

Better question is where the crap is Izzy

Indeed, was his injury alot worse than advertised?  Is playing Cook a priority for the Coaches or GM to validate his signing/cost?  Do they really believe Cook (or Carter) is better than Izzy at this point perhaps?

My concern with designed runs for Zach is Zach isn't very big, and I know I wince every time he scrambles and runs, he's not a great slider, he doesn;t avoid contact as much as he can/should, and he takes some pretty hard hits on those runs.  For a smallish QB with a smallish frame, whose already missed time due to injury twice in his career to-date, I'm not sure I want to see him taking yet more big hits.

Now, designed rollouts and more playaction?  That is something I'd like to see, using his mobility better but perhaps without the added damage of so many hits.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Indeed, was his injury alot worse than advertised?  Is playing Cook a priority for the Coaches or GM to validate his signing/cost?  Do they really believe Cook (or Carter) is better than Izzy at this point perhaps?

My concern with designed runs for Zach is Zach isn't very big, and I know I wince every time he scrambles and runs, he's not a great slider, he doesn;t avoid contact as much as he can/should, and he takes some pretty hard hits on those runs.  For a smallish QB with a smallish frame, whose already missed time due to injury twice in his career to-date, I'm not sure I want to see him taking yet more big hits.

Now, designed rollouts and more playaction?  That is something I'd like to see, using his mobility better but perhaps without the added damage of so many hits.

I agree with everything here. I guess the injury was worse? I see no way the coaches could just say "Yea I know we don't know how Izzy plays in a real game but Cook's terrible play is probably better".

Zach is still used to college where he could just truck defenders. Until he learns how to slide and avoid contact it's always scary.

Rollouts and playaction seem to be the closest to his main strength since he came into the NFL. It would be great if we saw more of that.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Hex said:

I agree with everything here. I guess the injury was worse? I see no way the coaches could just say "Yea I know we don't know how Izzy plays in a real game but Cook's terrible play is probably better".

Zach is still used to college where he could just truck defenders. Until he learns how to slide and avoid contact it's always scary.

Rollouts and playaction seem to be the closest to his main strength since he came into the NFL. It would be great if we saw more of that.

There seems to be a lack of deception with Hackett's offense.  Not a lot of motion, misdirection, jet sweeps, etc.  No RPO.  Pretty much just hike the ball and throw it.  No doubt it works with a guy like Rodgers, but Zach you'd have to think could benefit with some of this, especially in the red zone...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Ulrich said:

Zach is an athletic dude who can run it pretty well. Hope Hackett draws up some designed runs for him moving forward. Could really help the offense, make it harder for defenses to defend it. 

Also where the hell is Michael Carter, why isn’t Hackett using him more? He was dynamic as a rookie. Since then LaFleur & Hackett have put him on ice. It’s not like Cook is doing much of anything. 

Your troll job is pathetic... You obviously don't follow the team if you think MC should be on the field more... 

Pats Fan? 

• Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ulrich said:

are you kidding? every time he gets the ball he drops it or messe up, every time he dials up a  carter play it is a waste.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ulrich said:

Dropped a big third down pass, right in his hands, 2 weeks in a row.  The bigger question is why was Cook in the backfield whenever they got in the red zone.  Breece is the dangerous back that the Eagles were having trouble with.  Thought the play limit was gone.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ulrich said:

Michael Carter Sucks .. .that's where he is.

• Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Ulrich said:

They either need to get the ball in Carter's hands on 3rd down or get him off the field. Izzy would be a good 3rd down option.

Cook is really in the way at this point. Hope he turns it around soon.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

Dropped a big third down pass, right in his hands, 2 weeks in a row.  The bigger question is why was Cook in the backfield whenever they got in the red zone.  Breece is the dangerous back that the Eagles were having trouble with.  Thought the play limit was gone.

Yes the drop. Forgot about that.

9 hours ago, Ulrich said:

Micheal Carter AND Cook should be in street clothes on Sundays.

Izzy Izzy Izzy and lots of Breece!

12 hours ago, Hex said:
Better question is where the crap is Izzy

I have a feeling both Izzy and McDonald are being held back to get stronger for the NFL game. Or to learn the playbook better ??

Why else would we not hear a sniff about them ? Does anyone have a Will McD snap count handy ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Hex said:

I think a lot of that is because so many of those occur on 3rd downs, trying to get to the marker. 

When things look covered on 1st or 2nd down he just doesn't scramble (or more correctly, doesn't scramble forward, lol) as he's more likely to keep looking downfield past the 3-second mark, either taking a sack or just running to the right sideline while looking for someone downfield, usually throwing it away or throwing it well short of the sticks.

That's another thing, which is you see all those times he throws it well before the sticks along or close to the right sideline? Well there's coverage with the receiving target in the area to make a run less likely to do much. Where those longer scrambles happens (against us, typically) is when receivers clear the area to give a QB 8 yards of daylight before he has to even think about making anybody miss or giving himself up. For us there always seems to be Conklin or Uzomah (and their coverage) in the short yardage area on those, making a forward scramble less likely. I haven't been agonizing over the all-22s, but it sure seems like that happens an awful lot.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Barton said:
Gotta love how the jets act like Mike carter is a slick 3rd down receiving scat back. Dude is slow and his hands are ehh. 

I liked year one MC a lot. But something has changed.. I don't like that as soon as contact is made he spins to run with his back to the defender , like doing leg presses. (Pushing with his back down field). I wish he would make more guys miss or continue through contact.

I like the guy .. but man his production has dipped noticably over two years.

I dunno what happened to him.

Edited by Dunnie

51 minutes ago, Barton said:

Gotta love how the jets act like Mike carter is a slick 3rd down receiving scat back. Dude is slow and his hands are ehh. 

They put him in there because he's probably embraced the role after having accepted it's the Breece Hall Show here; has previously been a good receiver who also knows what to do when lining up in the slot; and has visibly picked up a couple blitzes he'd have just let go by him in the past. 

Cook is a non-blocker who should be on the trading block if anyone will have him, and as much as we want to see him get all the touches among the 3 active guys, Hall needs breathers himself.

Also noting with the big number of 3rd & longs, he's been a quick-block then checkdown option more than having so many designed routes to him after clearing coverage away from his route. He's going to seem (and be) even less productive in that role unless he's got special Breece-like skills, which he doesn't.

15 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Have you seen our backup options? The only running he should be doing is qb draws at the goal line or if everyone is covered in man coverage downfield.

Especially because he still tends to slide head first a lot like it’s Friday night and the Milf’s  body is ready, 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I have a feeling both Izzy and McDonald are being held back to get stronger for the NFL game. Or to learn the playbook better ??

Why else would we not hear a sniff about them ? Does anyone have a Will McD snap count handy ?

If they can't learn the playbook throughout preseason, training camp, and 6 weeks of football, there is something terribly wrong.

Snap count for McD:

image.png.56ed29595daa7fdebd6b052422e00ea4.png

• Upvote 2

If they can't learn the playbook throughout preseason, training camp, and 6 weeks of football, there is something terribly wrong.
Snap count for McD:
http://content.invisioncic.com/y326398/monthly_2023_10/image.png.56ed29595daa7fdebd6b052422e00ea4.png
Wow .. I had no idea Will had played that many downs ... And not shown anything ????

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I never cared for M Carter… too much dancing around, never hits the hole, small little scat back role, can’t even effectively fill said role. I’m good on M Carter & I have been since last year.

Rookie year was good but has struggled since.  I know he is t happy with lack of playing time but those critical drops he’s had dont help his case 

4 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Rookie year was good but has struggled since.  I know he is t happy with lack of playing time but those critical drops he’s had dont help his case 

Agreed that his rookie year was nice, everything after that is pretty disappointing. I think he’s just an easily replaceable guy, from a size, talent and production standpoint.

• Upvote 1