Jermaine Johnson's numbers have been shadowed by the referees

Jermaine Johnson gets severely held on every single game, here is a sample of the Eagles game and watch 68 clamping JJ:

I see his left hand grabbing on to JJ's jersey, it is borderline, but still a hold.  There are definitely better examples than this one, I observed many penalties from the Eagles OL, but I think it goes both ways.

image.thumb.png.1ab343dfabfe9a2f964c30891b057d28.png

I don't think that we need this reminder:

The bottom line is that the NFL has to revamp their current operations and implement a complete reviewable system where all calls can be challenged.  The NFL needs to stop being bias and cease and desist the commercialization of useless pop singers while focusing on the rules of the game instead. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

You cannot tell there is a hold from a still photo.  Clamping the jersey isn't a hold until Johnson runs through it.  The wedging of his arm against KC seemed pretty blatant, but I don't see it here. 

Watch the video, it starts right at that moment. Like I mentioned, it is not the best example, but I am sure if we watch all his replays, we would count numerous holds on him. 

3 minutes ago, Same Old Jets said:

Watch the video, it starts right at that moment. 

I didn't say that there wasn't a hold.  I just said you can't tell from that still.  IMO, there is no hold while the guys arms are inside his shoulders.  Johnson has to run through that.  If he did, cool.  I don't study the changes in holding rules and how they are called because the passing rules had more effect on my game and those always get me mad enough to last a few decades.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Same Old Jets said:

The bottom line is that the NFL has to revamp their current operations and implement a complete reviewable system where all calls can be challenged.

They're not going to do that.

The NFL needs to stop being bias

Every fan of every team thinks the Refs are biased against them.  

....and cease and desist the commercialization of useless pop singers while focusing on the rules of the game instead. 

Because the leagues Media/PR arm also work on the side as both Refs and Head Coaches sitting on the rules committee?

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

I seriously think they just don't call holding anymore. There is no other way to describe it.

An unfortunate reality.  I think that the amount of injuries have led to all these changes, it is going to be a vanilla game. I believe that most sports have gone through this transition: boxing went from indefinite rounds, to 15 and down to 12; the NBA has softened except with big men, for some reason they allow bigger men to hack each other more often; expansion playoffs are also vanilla, because it is all for profits and capitalization. 

The NFL will soon be another unwatchable sport due to its commercialization, bias ways, poor game calling and the over-protection of QBs. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Because the leagues Media/PR arm also work on the side as both Refs and Head Coaches sitting on the rules committee?

It sounds like you are defining monopoly.  

I am just sick of Taylor Swift's marketing, the excessive obsession and the NFL's pursuit of capitalization and monopoly, all of this has a direct implication on how the games are called.  

10 minutes ago, Same Old Jets said:

I'm not.  At all.  I have no idea where you'd get that idea from from what I wrote.

10 minutes ago, Same Old Jets said:

I am just sick of Taylor Swift's marketing, the excessive obsession and the NFL's pursuit of capitalization and monopoly, all of this has a direct implication on how the games are called.  

Except it doesn't.  That's pure conspiracy-conjecture on your point, entirely unsupported by any actual facts/evidence.

But that's America these days, everyone mired in the depth of endless persecution-complex-driven, why-are-they-out-to-get-us, conspiracy theories.....smh.  Have fun.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'm not.  At all.  I have no idea where you'd get that idea from from what I wrote.

Except it doesn't.  That's pure conspiracy-conjecture on your point, entirely unsupported by any actual facts/evidence.

But that's America these days, everyone mired in the depth of endless persecution-complex-driven, why-are-they-out-to-get-us, conspiracy theories.....smh.  Have fun.

I am not going to wrap myself on endless subjective views, but the bottom line is that the game has softened to almost unwatchable. 

• WTF? 1

Just now, Same Old Jets said:

I am going to wrap myself on endless subjective views, but the bottom line is that the game has softened to almost unwatchable. 

The game has absolutely, 100% softened.  There is no serious debate on that question.

But they've also been very, VERY clear as to why.  Player health, not an anti-Jets conspiracy.

Fact of the matter is this, if the NFL had not gone this route several years ago, Congress was poised to do it for them.

The NFL is doing what many industries have done before them, getting ahead of damaging legislation by handling the problem themselves (or at least making it look like they're trying to do so).

And yes, that has the effect of softening the game, making it less violent, with more ticky-tack rules being called by part-time Refs who are extremely uneven and inconsistent in their subjective calls.  Inconsistency is not the same as bias.

The alternative, however, could (and may still one day) be much, much worse.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The game has absolutely, 100% softened.  There is no serious debate on that question.

But they've also been very, VERY clear as to why.  Player health, not an anti-Jets conspiracy.

Fact of the matter is this, if the NFL had not gone this route several years ago, Congress was poised to do it for them.

The NFL is doing what many industries have done before them, getting ahead of damaging legislation by handling the problem themselves (or at least making it look like they're trying to do so).

And yes, that has the effect of softening the game, making it less violent, with more ticky-tack rules being called by part-time Refs who are extremely uneven and inconsistent in their subjective calls.  Inconsistency is not the same as bias.

Great post, thanks!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I said 20 years ago when the rules started changing that one day we would turn on an NFL game and see:

That's actually too rough. Every play made is a penalty in the NFL.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Same Old Jets said:

Jermaine Johnson gets severely held on every single game, here is a sample of the Eagles game and watch 68 clamping JJ:

I see his left hand grabbing on to JJ's jersey, it is borderline, but still a hold.  There are definitely better examples than this one, I observed many penalties from the Eagles OL, but I think it goes both ways.

image.thumb.png.1ab343dfabfe9a2f964c30891b057d28.png

I don't think that we need this reminder:

The bottom line is that the NFL has to revamp their current operations and implement a complete reviewable system where all calls can be challenged.  The NFL needs to stop being bias and cease and desist the commercialization of useless pop singers while focusing on the rules of the game instead. 

Christ whats wrong with some of you? How many times can a group continually pee on yall and tell you it’s raining?

the refs are the perfect scapegoat for a league in bed with Vegas, with financial and entertainment goals. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What do you think  about all plays being reviewable? 

27 minutes ago, Same Old Jets said:

I can't stomach pre-game, half time, post game.  Further, in game time outs and commercials are so lengthly and pathetic I now save up my weekend chores and do them little by little during the breaks.  I used to love the pomp but now I hate it.      

1 hour ago, Same Old Jets said:

What do you think  about all plays being reviewable? 

I think it's great in theory, horrid in practice.  Replay takes so much time, and no one is happy afterwards.  if it goes your way, you're happy, if it doesn't, your not, so ultimately it's not achieving some of it's intended purpose.

Personally, I prefer the old no-replay era of football.  Live calls, live with them.  If they're right, those Refs get good grades.  if they're wrong, the Refs get bad grades and ultimately less work or fired.

That, and I truly believe in full-time, professional Refs training all year long on being a Ref.  No part time Lawyers moonlighting as Refs.  The NFL is too big a business for that kind of silliness.

• Upvote 2

Realistically speaking, "holding" happens on every single play in the trenches.

No offensive lineman is good enough to consistently rely solely on his "feet" and "technique" to literally "block" (keep squarely in front of the guy as some kind of immovable object, without grabbing) the athlete in front of him for 2+ to 3+ seconds.

My impression is that, generally, if the jersey or pads or whatever are grabbed within the frame of the body, it's allowed,

It's only when a defender has clearly beat his man -- has already disengaged, and then the OL tries to grab outside his frame to hang on or shove him from the back -- that it gets called.

But at the end of the day, it's really at the discretion of the refs. 

And we know NFL darlings like the Chiefs are going to get a preponderance of the calls overall (and every single call in a pivotal situation), whereas the Jets will almost always get hosed.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

NFL also can get away with this crap because Congress is so dysfunctional and continues to get even worse by the day. We can’t even count on them to pass budgets on time anymore. So, don’t think that doesn’t play into the thinking of the NFL that know they have to show they are trying to protect player health(and at the same time limit law suites for CTE and such) and even though each week they jeopardize further the integrity of the game with their uneven favoritism calls, they can get away with that only having the risk of at one point causing problems with sports betting that can push back on them. But, that is unlikely since the teams getting the calls are favored to win with most of the betting on their side.

There was a primetime game last year Raiders v Rams where Maxx Crosby was literally getting held on every single dropback.

The Rams had a backup or 3rd string RT out there, and it was downright ridiculous watching him try to block Crosby with no help.

The refs would even call it on B2B plays, but it got to a point where they just had to "let it go", I guess, because to call it every time (the way it deserved to be called) the Rams would have been backed up inside their own 1/2 yard line and it would have delayed the game by another hour.

IIRC, this was the Baker Mayfield game where he had 24 hours to learn the playbook from his hotel after flying in.

The Rams ended up "winning" the game.

• Sympathy 1