Improvement is clear.- Nania

Dunnie

That’s a lot of words
Yeah .. it is very long article .. but it is one of his best.

Really does a good job analyzing what we have all seen out of Wilson so far. Good and Bad.

The reason for hope and the need for improved productivity.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 4

image.png.eb6bb2231a53a247b8672839bf4729b2.png

@Dunnie What's up with that middle paragraph "much instead of releasing the ball quickly"?  I'm assuming there should've been more text there.  What did that say?

EDIT: I didn't realize you posted the link to the article:

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/10/18/ny-jets-zach-wilson-stats-subtle-progress/

Getting the ball out quicker (Time to throw)

Holding the ball too long has always gotten Wilson into trouble. This problem carried over into his first three games of 2023. However, over the past three games, his progress in this department has been a driving force behind why it looks like he is playing more competently based on the eye test. He has appeared less reckless because he is releasing the ball faster.

Wilson averaged 3.05 seconds from snap to throw in 2021, ranking fourth-longest out of 33 qualified quarterbacks. He rose to 3.07 seconds in 2022, placing third.

This issue was particularly frustrating because Wilson has never done anything to justify holding the football for so long. Most of the quarterbacks in Wilson’s range of time-to-throw are elite rushing threats, so it’s understandable why they tend to hang onto the football – they are capable of making things happen with the ball in their hands. Wilson is not.

The only quarterbacks with a higher time-to-throw than Wilson in either 2021 or 2022 were Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, and Justin Fields. With nowhere near the same athleticism as those players, Wilson should not be in their company when it comes to holding the football. His high placement on the time-to-throw list despite his subpar playmaking (both rushing and off-schedule passing) is a sign that he was creating a ton of negative plays by trying to do too much instead of releasing the ball quickly.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

From Weeks 4-6, Wilson averaged 2.72 seconds from snap to throw, ranking 21st out of 36 qualified quarterbacks over that span. In 2022, it would have ranked between 16th-ranked Justin Herbert (2.74) and 17th-ranked Kirk Cousins (2.70) out of 33 qualifiers

According to the article, you rank higher if you hold the ball longer.  Shouldn't Cousins have been ranked 16th and Herbert 17th?

• Upvote 3

Although .. I did find this amusing ...

The only quarterbacks with a higher time-to-throw than Wilson in either 2021 or 2022 were Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, and Justin Fields.

So the RBs masquerading as QBs hold the ball longer. No kidding.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

He has improved from non-functional and useless to semi-functional. The hope is that he will continue to improve. It has been an agonizingly slow process for sure. Obviously the goal was for him to not take a snap this year and do this work behind the scenes while Rodgers ran the show. 

• Upvote 2

Zach Wilson has the Jets at 3-3, which is maybe a game behind where an AR8 Jets were predicted to be.   That is basically pretty good for the QB2.   

The ultimate problem will be when Zach wants to be paid like QB1.  Even AR8 is not paid like QB1.  

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Yeah .. it is very long article .. but it is one of his best.

Really does a good job analyzing what we have all seen out of Wilson so far. Good and Bad.

The reason for hope and the need for improved productivity.

IMO, the improvement we are seeing isn’t  enough. Zach is turning into a game manager who doesn’t  get his team into the EZ enough. The one thing that is most evident is he isn’t  killing worms anymore,  but that shouldn’t have been a thing in the first place. He is still having accuracy  issues on short passes. There was one pass he threw to GW where Wilson was open and he threw it high making GW jump up for the ball. Had he hit him in stride, that probably goes to the house. I know the article says there is a lot more to improve on but we now have good players on the team and the clock is ticking. 

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

9 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

The only quarterbacks with a higher time-to-throw than Wilson in either 2021 or 2022 were Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, and Justin Fields.

I wish Zach was a RB masquerading as a QB if he played like those 3 studs.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

Zach Wilson has the Jets at 3-3, which is maybe a game behind where an AR8 Jets were predicted to be.   That is basically pretty good for the QB2.   

The ultimate problem will be when Zach wants to be paid like QB1.  Even AR8 is not paid like QB1.  

We'll deal with that problem when we get to it.  There's no way I'd pay him big money if the decision had to be made right now.

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

IMO, the improvement we are seeing isn’t  enough. Zach is turning into a game manager who doesn’t  get his team into the EZ enough. The one thing that is most evident is he isn’t  killing worms anymore,  but that shouldn’t have been a thing in the first place. He is still having accuracy  issues on short passes. There was one pass he threw to GW where Wilson was open and he threw it high making GW jump up for the ball. Had he hit him in stride, that probably goes to the house. I know the article says there is a lot more to improve on but we now have good players on the team and the clock is ticking. 

I don't think anyone is under the impression that it is.  But the idea that he has taken definite steps so far sort of makes you wonder "how far can he take this?"   He obviously has a ton of potential.  The worst thing would be if we had to suffer through his awful years and then some other team was able to acquire him for nothing and he turns into a legit quality QB.  I still think he has a pretty high ceiling if he can figure things out.

But again, it's not about where he is right now.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

He's gotten better but going from awful to not good is only enough when the defense plays out of their minds. Eventually they're gonna have to crack 20 points. 

your still caught in the trap of blaming abysmal offensive execution on one guy ... watch the video above.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

48 minutes ago, varjet said:

yeah .. i think that at the end of the season ... you extend cheap ... or you cut bait.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

If Jalen Hurts and Lamar Jackson are “running backs” what exactly is Zach Wilson?

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You're not wrong.  But I'm still encouraged that Zach is making progress.  And I won't feel good about the idea of getting rid of him until we see him stop progressing (at least, for the most part).  It would really be SOJ if we had to deal with "awful ZW" for 3 years and then some team picked him up on the cheap and he started to live up to his potential.  That KC game is still in the back of my head.  I don't see why ZW can't turn into that QB on a regular basis.

The next 3 weeks against middle-of-the-pack opponents (instead of the likes of KC, Philly, Buffalo and Dallas) will be very interesting.  I expect to see ZW look a lot more competent.  Something in the ballpark of 200-250 passing yards and 2 TDs per game.  And an improved red (gold) zone offense.

I hope JD gets him another WR, btw. Lazard is a low-end WR2 and we have almost nothing else behind him (unless Brownlee emerges).

This is exactly the point!!

Why put him out with the trash NOW when he is actually showing signs of improvement?? Just so so fans can say that they were right about him? Makes NO sense!

This kid may turn out to be really good at some point. And yes it took a while but there are a lot of factors for that, some of them caused by coaching.

The worst thing that can happen is that he goes to another team and puts it all together for them and we are back where we were looking for a QB.

• Upvote 4