Kicking The Tires: Terrace Marshall?

Just now, Hex said:

He's another WR3 or 4, we already have a ton of those.

Cobb shouldn’t be starting & I’ve yet to see Brownlee in on a single snap all year. 

I’d trade that 6th we just got for Hardman on Marshall Jr & if it doesn’t work out, you’re pretty much breaking even. If JD is actually pursuing another wide out before the trade deadline, chances are, Marshall is cheaper to swing on than Jeudy.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Honestly I'd be disappointed if JD went the Dollar Store route here.  The team is close.  Should shoot higher...

Not much out there close to mid-season.

Not necessarily advocating for the bargain bin, or Marshall Jr, but, realistically, it’s rare to find a team out there willing to part ways with a high upside guy in October.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Cobb shouldn’t be starting & I’ve yet to see Brownlee in on a single snap all year. 

I’d trade that 6th we just got for Hardman on Marshall Jr & if it doesn’t work out, you’re pretty much breaking even. If JD is actually pursuing another wide out before the trade deadline, chances are, Marshall is cheaper to swing on than Jeudy.

True, but we need a WR2. If we're going to devote resources on a receiver we might as well use it on a better WR. It's much more helpful to devote a few resources to a singular WR2 than the same amount of resources to multiple WR4s. There's only so many players that can be on the field at once.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Not much out there close to mid-season.

Not necessarily advocating for the bargain bin, or Marshall Jr, but, realistically, it’s rare to find a team out there willing to part ways with a high upside guy in October.

Fair.  Some speculation Broncos are going full tank so guys like Sutton or Jeudy might be available?  Also I'm in the + Renfrow camp and do think some form of player swap involving him and Lawson is a fit for both teams

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hex said:

He's another WR3 or 4, we already have a ton of those.

Not with experience we don't. Cobb is a waste so the only WR with experience after Wilson is Lazard. 

I'd prefer to land someone of a higher caliber but if we cannot this would still be a good move to get Cobb on the bench or a rocket ship to mars where he belongs.

• Upvote 1

Marshall was the top receiver prospect in the country despite suffering a dislocated ankle and fractured leg during his senior year at Parkway High School in Bossier City, Louisiana. He earned the Shreveport Times Male Athlete of the Year award as a junior, scoring 15 touchdowns. His home-state Tigers put him to work right away, even starting Marshall once as a true freshman (12 receptions, 192 yards, 16.0 average in 13 games). Despite missing three games with a fractured toe, he was a major factor for the national champs as a sophomore, catching 46 passes for 671 yards (14.6 per) and 13 scores. Marshall, Ja'Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson each caught more than 10 TDs for LSU in 2019. He started the first seven games of the 2020 season, leading the team in receiving during that time (48 receptions, 731 yards, 15.2 average, 10 TDs), before opting out for the remainder of the campaign. He is the great nephew of the late Joe Delaney, a talented NFL running back who drowned in 1983 trying to rescue three children at the bottom of a pond. -- by Chad Reuter

Strengths
  • Expected to be a big-time tester.
  • Exciting height, weight, speed combination.
  • Averaged over 104.4 yards per game in 2020.
  • Playmaker who averaged a touchdown every four catches over last two years.
  • Size to bang on undersized corners down the field.
  • Strides and separates on go routes.
  • Quality ball-tracker with second gear to chase it down.
  • Foot quickness is a plus for being a tall wideout.
  • Consistently gains ground on coverage on inside routes.
  • Has experience outside and as a big slot in LSU offense.
  • Very wide catch radius.
  • Able to rescue throws way outside his frame.
  • Runs with decent toughness after the catch.

Weaknesses

Appeared to lack focus and intensity in some 2020 games.

Excellent timed speed but doesn't always play fast.

Too content in allowing press corners to attack his release.

Uses same stutter-skip setups into stems and breaks underneath.

Fails to crank up quality route fakes to tilt cornerbacks off balance.

Had focus drops in 2020.

A step slow to get hands catch-ready as slot target.

Allows coverage to crowd him too often.

Needs to do a better job of finishing his routes.

Has almost no special teams experience.

20 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Brownlee hasn't been active.

They need to let Cobb ride it out inactive. Tough conversation when they tell Aaron, but it needs to happen.

• Upvote 1

He doesn't move the needle at all.

If you make a move, you swing for someone who will make an impact, particularly at the #2 spot. Shift Lazard down to #3 and add a true #2 opposite of Garret Wilson. If you sign another #3 or #4, you are not adding talent but rather just adding more depth, which we have at WR. 

21 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Eh, go get Hunter Renfrow if he's available. We have the worst slot receiver in the NFL in Cobb, that would be a massive upgrade for the offense. 

Then go sign La'el Collins and let's roll. 

I think most Jet fans are in agreement that JD needs to bring in a WR and OL.  I like the idea of acquiring Hunter Renfrow as well, btw.  

• Upvote 1