Shouldn’t the Jets trade Bryce Huff?

T0mShane

The trade deadline is in ten days and there are two big pass rushers presumably available—Brian Burns and Danielle Hunter—both of whom are expected to draw significant interest and cost a package of high-ish picks (the Rams offered two firsts for Burns last year). Huff is a free agent after this season and, presuming he keeps up this rate of success, the Jets aren’t going to be able to re-sign him to the around-$20 mil AAV deal that top EDGE’s are getting these days. The Jets aren’t winning dick this year anyway, and Will McDonald should probably be Huff’s snaps in any case. 

If the Jets could get, say, two second rounders for Huff, shouldn’t they move on that? 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 22
  • WTF? 4
  • Haha 1

The trade deadline is in ten days and there are two big pass rushers presumably available—Brian Burns and Danielle Hunter—both of whom are expected to draw significant interest and cost a package of high-ish picks (the Rams offered two firsts for Burns last year). Huff is a free agent after this season and, presuming he keeps up this rate of success, the Jets aren’t going to be able to re-sign him to the around-$20 mil AAV deal that top EDGE’s are getting these days. The Jets aren’t winning dick this year anyway, and Will McDonald should probably be Huff’s snaps in any case. 

If the Jets could get, say, two second rounders for Huff, shouldn’t they move on that? 
Two second rounders? Absolutely. But I don't see anyone giving up 2 second rounders for a guy that will be a FA after the season. Do you?
  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Huff is the best pass rusher we've had since _______?

He’s very good, but the Jets can’t realistically pay him without making things exceedingly uncomfortable for themselves. They’re projected to have ~$16 mil in cap space next year, and a lot of that is set in stone between Rodgers, Laken Tomlinson, CJ Mosely, Zach Wilson, and presumably Becton’s extension. Looking ahead, they’re going to have to give Sauce, Garrett Wilson, Jermaine Johnson, and Breece fat new deals starting as soon as the 2024 offseason. They‘re a bit strapped.

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Two second rounders? Absolutely. But I don't see anyone giving up 2 second rounders for a guy that will be a FA after the season. Do you?

I mean, the league just watched Huff beat the Eagles almost by himself. If you’re the Chiefs, Rams, Seahawks, Lions, etc, it’d definitely be worth it to have Huff around for a playoff run

They’re not resigning him.  

Unless they truly believe Rodgers is coming back - then trading him for premium assets would be the smart move. 

Now, the Jets had a second round tender on him and there didn’t seem to be any interest for 1 two.  Can’t see how anyone would give up 2 two’s. 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

They’re not resigning him.  

Unless they truly believe Rodgers is coming back - then trading him for premium assets would be the smart move. 

Now, the Jets had a second round tender on him and there didn’t seem to be any interest for 1 two.  Can’t see how anyone would give up 2 two’s. 

Franchise tag I’m thinking 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He’s very good, but the Jets can’t realistically pay him without making things exceedingly uncomfortable for themselves. They’re projected to have ~$16 mil in cap space next year, and a lot of that is set in stone between Rodgers, Laken Tomlinson, CJ Mosely, Zach Wilson, and presumably Becton’s extension. Looking ahead, they’re going to have to give Sauce, Garrett Wilson, Jermaine Johnson, and Breece fat new deals starting as soon as the 2024 offseason. They‘re a bit strapped.

i keep saying this too. not on Huff per say but we cant pay everyone. 

im wondering how being a part time player effects the contract for Huff. he os very good but how good is he if he plays every down. or does his new team use his as a designated pass rusher. this year he is playing 34% of the snaps.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Huff's wonderful pressure rate finally started getting home in the last 2 games. He now has 2.5 sacks, no forced turnovers. Just because you can get close doesn't mean anything.

How many game changing plays has Huff made this year.

Huff was hurt mostly his first 2 years. You give us 2 2024 second rounders, or any top WR, you can have him.  There is a reason they drafted The car jumper.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, doitny said:

i keep saying this too. not on Huff per say but we cant pay everyone. 

im wondering how being a part time player effects the contract for Huff. he os very good but how good is he if he plays every down. or does his new team use his as a designated pass rusher. this year he is playing 34% of the snaps.

Yup. 
I’ve been saying this for a while but JD has a long term plan and as you stated, will have a lot of people to pay.   
The Jets reached for a second round prospect at #15 to bring in his replacement.  
They’re not signing Huff.  They’ll do the ol’e low ball offer to save face line they tried - but he’s gone. 

• Upvote 2

I mean, the league just watched Huff beat the Eagles almost by himself. If you’re the Chiefs, Rams, Seahawks, Lions, etc, it’d definitely be worth it to have Huff around for a playoff run
Worth 2 second rounders? You're joking, right? And not for nothing, JJ was more of the guy in the Eagles game.

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Huff is top 5 pass rusher he shouldn’t be allowed to leave the building ever until he is signed.

All they will do I draft 2 pass rushers who are way inferior to Huff.

Extremely hard pass!

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yup. 
I’ve been saying this for a while but JD has a long term plan and as you stated, will have a lot of people to pay.   
The Jets reached for a second round prospect at #15 to bring in his replacement.  
They’re not signing Huff.  They’ll the ol’e low ball offer to save gage line they tried - but he’s gone. 

It would be so jets to let him leave for nothing when we can trade him now. This team is a likely in the playoffs but no way we are sniffing the SB 

But I can also see a world where he’s franchise tagged too so idk 

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. OTC has them at $32M+ under for next year as it stands right now, and potential pre- June 1 cuts of Mosley, Tomlinson, Uzomah could free up another ~$25M. 

2. Pretty sure I saw a @Sperm Edwards post the other day about how it’s definitely feasible to bring Huff back under their future cap situation.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

NO ,absolute not. 

18 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Huff is top 5 pass rusher he shouldn’t be allowed to leave the building ever until he is signed.

Extremely hard pass!

If I thought they had an intention of signing I would agree.  But they don't.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If I thought they had an intention of signing I would agree.  But they don't.

They need depth at edge rusher and Lawson will be gone. Having 3 quality edge rushers, with 2 being cheaper on rookie deals, is not that hard to believe. I think they’ll resign him and he’s in their plans regardless. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

It would be so jets to let him leave for nothing when we can trade him now. This team is a likely in the playoffs but no way we are sniffing the SB 

But I can also see a world where he’s franchise tagged too so idk 

Yes.  Hadn't really thought about franchising him - but yes. 

They would have to franchise Huff (knowing they're not signing him long term)

and make one last big push with this team....

• Rodgers last year...
  • Sauce, year three
  • GW - year three
  • McD's - year two
  • JJ - Year three
  • AVT is back
  • Tipman looks to be legit.
  • QWS still getting better
  • QWJ still in his prime

You really make your Super Bowl run next year...

If Becton stays healthy he's the natural guy to be franchised - but if you franchise Huff what do you do with Becton? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

26 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Extremely hard pass!

Huff is very good. Top 5 pass rusher is an absolute stretch. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Yes.  Hadn't really thought about that but yes. 

They would have to franchise Huff (knowing they're not signing him long term)

and make one last big push with this team....

• Rodgers last year...
  • Sauce, year three
  • GW - year three
  • McD's - year two
  • JJ - Year three
  • AVT is back
  • Tipman looks to be legit.
  • QWS still getting better
  • QWJ still in his prime

You really make your Super Bowl run next year...

If Becton stays healthy he's the natural guy to be franchised - but if you franchise Huff what do you do with Becton? 

We were talking at the tailgate about the Becton/Huff franchise situation. I would franchise Becton if they can’t replace him and bolster the OL through draft and/or FA and sign Huff. I just don’t trust Becton’s size. I was a HUGE fan of Kris Jenkins and Becton is awesome when healthy but I worry about long term. 

• Upvote 2