*** College Game Day 10/21 ***

Beerfish

The big game today is #3 Ohio State vs #7 Penn Sate.

Air Force is #22.....who knew?  They play Navy

Tennessee #17 vs Bama #11  should be a good game both teams with one loss and clinging to playoff hopes.

#16 Duke vs #4 Florida State might be a tussle.

#14 Utah vs #18 USC, Can Caleb Williams get back on track?

6-0 Washington and Penix go up against lowly 1-5 ASU (you play to win the game!)

• Upvote 1

Weird weekend for me.  Jets and Dawgs both have a bye.  Low stress Saturday followed by an equally low stress Sunday.  Don't remember if that ever happened before.  

But a great slate of games for the first Saturday in about a month where I have nothing planned other than spending the next 12 hours sitting in front of a TV and watching college football.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Oh what a turn of events!  Fumble for a td....but wait..........refs bail out ohio state with a holding call.    Game changing play.

Word to DBs, quite fing holding!  90% of these defensive holding calls in college and pros are totally needless

All I know is that the way our high school coach taught us to play defensive back, we held on every play 

it’s just really hard to play DB with these rules 

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

All I know is that the way our high school coach taught us to play defensive back, we held on every play 

it’s just really hard to play DB with these rules 

You do not need to hold if you are using proper technique.   If you are close enough to grab a guys jersey you are close enough in coverage.

The problem with being taught to hold is it becomes a crutch.   Sure there are guys who are experts at it knowing just how much they can get away with but the non experts get flagged.

Just my opinion.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You do not need to hold if you are using proper technique.   If you are close enough to grab a guys jersey you are close enough in coverage.

The problem with being taught to hold is it becomes a crutch.   Sure there are guys who are experts at it knowing just how much they can get away with but the non experts get flagged.

Just my opinion.

A slight grab where you don't impede the progress of the receiver should fine.  A tug on the jersey as the receiver gets separation will be called every time.

My issue is more when the receiver initiates the contact, whether it is holding, illegal contact or DPI, if the receiver initiates the contact, he should not get the call.  But so often they do.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just my opinion.

I’m thinking more illegal contact than holding, but yea 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Lith said:

A slight grab where you don't impede the progress of the receiver should fine.  A tug on the jersey as the receiver gets separation will be called every time.

My issue is more when the receiver initiates the contact, whether it is holding, illegal contact or DPI, if the receiver initiates the contact, he should not get the call.  But so often they do.

Exactly this