REPORT: Lincoln Riley Is ‘Plotting’ To Leave USC For NFL

https://dailysnark.com/2023/10/21/report-lincoln-riley-is-plotting-to-leave-usc-for-nfl-head-coaching-job/

Even though the USC Trojans are 6-1, this season had been up and down and there are rumblings that Riley and the school aren’t exactly on good terms.

Following a loss to Notre Dame, many in the fanbase are questioning just how good of a coach Riley. On a recent episode of the Dan Patrick Show, Patrick addressed a report from InsideUSC with Scott Wolf that recently floated the idea that Riley’s days in Los Angeles are numbered.

Wolf explained that Riley has been testing the waters in a way, and may be plotting his next move which could pair him with Caleb Williams at the next level.

“IN NFL COACHING CIRCLES, THE TALK IS THAT LINCOLN RILEY IS PUTTING OUT FEELERS ABOUT TAKING A JOB IN THE NFL NEXT SEASON. TO BE CLEAR, THIS CHATTER WAS GOING AROUND LAST WEEK AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH USC’S LOSS TO NOTRE DAME. THE WORD IS RILEY WOULD BE OPEN TO AN NFL JOB IF HE COULD FOLLOW CALEB WILLIAMS TO THE SAME FRANCHISE. IF THE CHICAGO BEARS HAD THE NO. 1 PICK, IT WOULD PROBABLY [BE] IDEAL FOR THIS THEORY.”

Wolf also wrote that if he were to jump to the NFL, the team would likely hire his defensive staff for him.

“THE OTHER PART OF THE THEORY IS THAT AN NFL TEAM WOULD TELL RILEY WHO TO HIRE, ESPECIALLY ON THE DEFENSIVE STAFF, TO AVOID SOME OF THE PRATFALLS THAT HAVE HAPPENED IN COLLEGE. IF RILEY IS SERIOUS ABOUT WANTING TO COACH ONLY 10 MORE YEARS, IT MAKES SENSE THAT HE WOULD GO TO THE NFL SOONER THAN LATER.”

Riley bailing on USC after just two years would be a major blow to the football program, which is slated to head to the Big Ten next year. The program was rumored to be paying around $110 million for the duration of his contract.

The Trojans host Utah on Saturday.

Bears are going to get Williams & Riley aren't they? Just need a strong defensive coordinator.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

With Harbaugh in trouble again at Michigan (sign stealing scandal), only a matter of time before he makes the jump too.  

Meanwhile we’ll still be stuck with the stair-climbing bird speech guy, lol.

Cool Story Bro.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

With Harbaugh in trouble again at Michigan (sign stealing scandal), only a matter of time before he makes the jump too.  

Meanwhile we’ll still be stuck with the stair-climbing bird speech guy, lol.

20 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't get this response. I didn't post this suggesting the Jets should get him. I think it's almost certain Saleh is the coach here in 2024. No one was talking about Riley -> Jets.

Theirs always one and the 2 or 3 who agree.  
The same mindset that led to people who almost jumped off the ledge when Chris let Saleh go home to think about things, swearing we lost him and the sky is falling.  So Jetsy it was called.  Two or three seasons with a new HC the cycle will start again.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He’s a terrible coach.  

Terrible? No.

Overrated but good offensive college coach who would probably be out of the NFL in two seasons? Yes. 

He should stick to college and be happy with what he has because I don’t see a guy who is competing for college playoffs every year. He’ll keep his teams ranked 11-25 year to year though.

So, he should be happy that he has Mike Gundy credentials at a premier school.

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I get so confused seeing all the kids of guys who seemed like they were JUST in the league become draft eligible.  

It’s probably our destiny to draft Frank Gore Jr.

That's very easy for you, remember you're getting older lol... When you're as old as I am, it's the best excuse in the world. "Honey, I forgot" Oh and by the way, we're drafting OL next year, get ready !!!

• Post of the Week 1