NFL League Office Admits Another Blown Call That Hurt Jets

32EBoozer

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Jordan rule should have no place in a football game and pointing to Jordan rules is lazy

I agree Jordan rules shouldn’t be a thing, but they are, in every sport.  

It’s also not just that, it’s also the inconsistency issue. 

What it isn’t, IMO, is a fixed league, or any kind of conspiracy.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So you pick and choose which stars get calls and which don’t.  
Jordan rules on penalties designed to save a QBs brain cells and health is a silly take and id bet one that most don’t agree with.  

What did Zach have to do with the penalty on Sauce or the non holding call against JJ?

Ok, you’re free to believe what you wish. If you don’t think Jordan rules (or Brady rules if you prefer, because he sure got them too) aren’t a thing, and you prefer one of the alternate theories, that’s fine. 

22 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Problem is the league only hires rich people to become refs, so rich they’re beyond the point of bribing.

Really? Where did you get this? They are part time workers filling out their  lawyer/accountant etc salaries 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Ok, you’re free to believe what you wish. If you don’t think Jordan rules (or Brady rules if you prefer, because he sure got them too) aren’t a thing, and you prefer one of the alternate theories, that’s fine. 

I know they get preferential treatment.  I’m just saying they shouldn’t, it’s tolerable like basketball where we’re talking a few free throws to stars.  I’m saying it can’t be an accepted football thing like the NBA.  These calls determine games

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, neckdemon said:

yo thats crazy that a roughing the passer hasn't been called against a jets opponent since 2021. that can't be accurate

On December 19th 2021 at 13:13 of the 2nd Qtr vs Miami, Fins LBer Andrew Van Ginkle  was called for a roughing the passer penalty on Zach Wilson. That was the last time the Jets were the beneficiaries of a RTP call that was 27 games ago I believe we've had 6 go against us during the same span. I have never seen WORSE officiating than I have seen this season, Last night in that Miami Philly game the Eagles look at this, and you tell me when the last time you saw something even CLOSE to these numbers Oh yeah NeckD-that 27 games and still running beats the old consecutive streak record by 3 games I believe right now

Screen Shot 2023-10-23 at 8.26.30 AM.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Then why did Scantling get the call against Sauce?

Because the star "TEAM" was the benefitted on that crooked call. All one had to do is sit through two commercial breaks to see Mahomes, Kelce, and Reid's faces show up on every other ad. They obviously have a lot invested into that teams' success.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 10/22/2023 at 8:43 AM, Same Old Jets said:

The league should start a draft compensation or cap relief program for missed calls. 

An alternative would be to allow at least 1 judgment call per game to be reviewed or similar package. Also, the current referee that oversees every TD play should also have the capability to overturn bad calls on the spot. 

That would be way too smart. Geez, don't you know we can't slow the game down because we need room for 10,000 commercials to air by the end of the half? 😑 

After watching the Browns get all the calls yesterday there is still hope. 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I know they get preferential treatment.  I’m just saying they shouldn’t

As I said, I agree.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I’m saying it can’t be an accepted football thing like the NBA.  These calls determine games

Accepted or not, it's likely going to happen.  

Subjective rules and subjective enforcement will always result in some version of "Star rules" or "Dynasty Team rules" existing.

The aim, in my view, should be to eliminate (as much as is possible) subjective or subjectively enforced rules.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I agree Jordan rules shouldn’t be a thing, but they are, in every sport.  

It’s also not just that, it’s also the inconsistency issue. 

What it isn’t, IMO, is a fixed league, or any kind of conspiracy.

You don't think there are any refs in the sport on the take?

Now, I don't think the league says, "Make the Chiefs win".   I do think the league office before the game says, "The Jets are known for gettign handsy in pass defense, I want you to watch for that."  Which then makes the refs look to call a PI on a given team

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Then why did Scantling get the call against Sauce?

Because KC is the "star" here, not the Jets.  When I say "Jordan rules" I may as well also have said "Bulls rules" as the "star gets special treatment things does tend to expand to cover the stars teammates playing with the star as well.

I'd also say (and I appreciate this will not be popular), that Sauce isn't as much of a "star" as Jets fans like to think.  Not compared to Mahomes (who is the real star here, and who threw the pass).

My larger and ongoing point is this, there is no anti-Jets conspiracy theory in the NFL.  Any bias we see if calls is far more likely related to our morribund franchise and lack of star power than any "league hates the Jets, a team in our biggest market, for some secret unknown nefarious reason" stuff.  In a game of Mahomes (face of the legaue) vs. Wilson (the 32nd ranked QB in the NFL three years running), Mahomes is going to get the calls, PI, holding, roughing, intentional grounding) far more often than Wilson will.  And be assured, it's KC/Mahomes getting those calls, not Scantling or Sauce.

It also likely doesn't help, in that specific case, that Sauce is already pretty well known (outside the Jets Fan bubble) as a "handsy" player who commits a foul on almost every play.  

I'd also finish with a warning to confuse conscious purposeful mis-calling with unconscious "star" bias in calling.  They're not the same thing. 

4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

You don't think there are any refs in the sport on the take?

Is it possible?  Absolutely.  Corruption always is possible when this kind of money is involved.

But prove it.  If all we have is fan-based "they don't like us" speculation, I am unmoved by that in any way.

Also, and gambling based corruption wouldn't be so one sides or star-rules based, it would be about moving the needle on whos been bet on, and in that case we would see less "anti-Jets" and more "line manipulation regardless of team involved".

No, honestly I think it's just a combination of the age old "star rules" of officiating in sports, the inconsistency of part-timer, human refs, afraid to be wrong on replay, making subjective calls over subjective rules, often on penalties that could easily be called on every single play, meaning they need to see it only when it's "egregious" and decide what and when that is.  Such a systems is rife for plain old ineptitude, as opposed to organized conspiracies and corruption.

But to repeat, yes, a Ref could be on the take.  The fact most Refs are themselves independently wealthy types was always argued for avoiding that (and defending their part-timer nature).

4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Now, I don't think the league says, "Make the Chiefs win".   I do think the league office before the game says, "The Jets are known for gettign handsy in pass defense, I want you to watch for that."  Which then makes the refs look to call a PI on a given team

Absolutely, agree 100%.

18 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Because the star "TEAM" was the benefitted on that crooked call. All one had to do is sit through two commercial breaks to see Mahomes, Kelce, and Reid's faces show up on every other ad. They obviously have a lot invested into that teams' success.

And Sauce doesn't do Commercials. I'm not saying the officiating has been good. It's been piss poor to say the least. But people watch football, they don't care who is playing.

On 10/22/2023 at 8:51 AM, 32EBoozer said:

I’d prefer we get rid of the refs and have AI referee the games. It can instantly scan the All-22, know all the league rules and you don’t have to worry about the ref getting in a receiver’s way.

You want to see off setting penalties on each play?  The five yard handsy rule flag on receivers will get thrown on every play.  I don’t know what the solution is. I, for one, would like to see more intentional grounding calls made and no defensive back penalties if the ball is clearly uncatchable.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Claymation said:

And Sauce doesn't do Commercials. I'm not saying the officiating has been good. It's been piss poor to say the least. But people watch football, they don't care who is playing.

I saw him talking to a winged Buffalo at a chain sports bar... or was that Ambien...?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Want to see Jordan treatment?

At the VERY LEAST, coaches should be allowed to challenge non-calls the same as calls.  Holding back a flag is the surest way for a ref to tip a game because the other team can't challenge.  This isn't a close one.  This is egregious and it happens often in Eagles games.  It's like someone told Johnson "you get an extra second head start that we won't call".  

Honestly, this is one thing AI would probably do a much better job of than human refs in real time.  But barring that, you have to let teams challenge this crap.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Claymation said:

LMAO

We’ve seen Zach Wilson get pummeled and nearly decapitated after the ball is released.

You look to the refs and they all instantaneously morph into paralytics.

I mean throwing a flag is the furthest thing from their minds.

This one Josh Allen begged for is just as bad, “to the head or neck area”

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

You want to see off setting penalties on each play?  The five yard handsy rule flag on receivers will get thrown on every play.  I don’t know what the solution is. I, for one, would like to see more intentional grounding calls made and no defensive back penalties if the ball is clearly uncatchable.

Liam Neeson GIF

2001 space odyssey podcast GIF by WNYC Studios

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2