How Optimistic Are You About This Season?

I think we’ll finish around .500, but I’m hopeful we go on a run and sneak into the playoffs and maybe Aaron Godgers miracles walks himself back in the field for the playoffs.

But until I see our offense start scoring some points I won’t have the confidence we can make the playoffs. The injury to AVT was killer.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Personally, I'm very optimistic.  AR8 contributed nothing on the field, yet we're 3-3.  And I think ZW is getting better by the week and I expect him to take a step up after the bye (assuming our OL doesn't completely fall apart).

Our 1st 6 games had both SB participants (KC, Philly) from last year and 2 other serious SB contenders (Bills, Dallas).

IV and Izzy are likely going to be integrated into the lineup.  

Sounds like possibly the Jets really believe in Gipson as a WR but hopefully JD will bring in a WR and an OL.

I expect our defense to be even better than they've already been, due to their confidence from beating Philly.

There's still the specter of AR8 coming back if we make the playoffs.  I think that will be a huge motivator for the team.

Surprisingly, the AFC doesn't feel as strong this year as we might have thought.  KC probably has post Super Bowl-itis.  We already beat the Bills.  The Dolphins are going to be tough but if we can beat Philly and almost KC then I'm sure we'll stand a chance.

PREDICTION:

We do end up making the playoffs and we're a dangerous team that nobody wants to play. 

I appreciate this post and wish I was this confident. But our offense (OL injuries) have me worried and if our run game gets shut down our offense is putting up baseball run scores.

• Upvote 1

Going into every game, every weekend thinking the Jets have a chance to win, and the Jets actually proving that they can is huge given the way things have played out.  How can that be a lost season.
How many people commented that losing a starting NFL QB during a season would be devastating to any NFL team?  Jets lost their QB in week one and somehow we’ve made it to 3-3 aft their first 6, a record we would have been thrilled with if Rodgers played the first 6 games.  Saleh has kept the team together, has them playing hard, no one quit after the first 4 plays of the season and playing winning football.  
I haven’t been this interested in the post bye schedule since 2015, why wouldn’t anyone be optimistic about that?

• Upvote 4

Feel pretty optimistic about making the playoffs, hopefully we are past all the injuries… Or at least season enders… the defense is getting stronger… having Rodgers full time will help Zach … With Aaron working w Zach and Hackett perhaps we will break through the red zone… special teams has been A+

• Upvote 1

It is the season of true revelations: Zach WIlson and Becton have been victimized by many Jets fans due to very unfortunate turn of events. We can elaborate and discuss for hours the reasonings, but we can finally see that JD actually nailed these picks, 

Let's give kudos to Joe Douglas for drafting these two awesome players who will be a NY Jet for a long time, with or without the hating. 

The future cannot be any brighter: current and future LT and QB in place, what else do you want? 

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

I think my optimism is hovering around  6/10 on the Scoville scale.  If the Jets come out against the Giants and the coaching staff has devised a plan for the offense to attack that team in concert with a plan for defensive dominance ... my hope will rise. Even if the Jets somehow lose to the Giants, if the team shows that it is playing to win as opposed to 'not lose' ... my optimism meter will raise to at least 7.5/10.

If the team comes out afraid to play ... optimism meter will look like the limp dick of a 1000 year old mummy. 

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

An average offense gets this team to 11 wins.

For this offense to be average, Breece Hall needs to be the engine, and for that to happen he needs 20 touches & It ALL hinges on the OL. Will Duane Brown be available Week 8 (at LT or RT?), will JD bring in another OL, can Mitchell elevate his game. 

OL will be the deciding factor… especially coming out of the Bye( our nemesis) against a highly motivated Giants DL looking to ruin our season.

• Upvote 1

Have them finishing at 8-9. The defense is going to get worn down and the offense is super****ed unless Breece stays superhuman despite having his workload juiced in the coming weeks. They’ll go into the offseason feeling self-satisfied, thinking they’ve got it all figured out. Maybe they empty the clip for Davante and draft a right tackle at 15. The Pats will get Drake Maye. Dolphins will pay Saquon. The Jets, having learned nothing, will go Rodgers/Zach/scrub at QB again. Lucy/Charlie Brown/Football. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Same Old Jets said:

Zach WIlson and Becton have been victimized by many Jets fans…  

Some serious sky screamer snowflake here, impressive.

Let's give kudos to Joe Douglas for drafting these two awesome players who will be a NY Jet for a long time, with or without the hating. 

Getting ahead of yourself quite a bit. 

The future cannot be any brighter: current and future LT and QB in place, what else do you want? 

A winning season would be a good place to start. 

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1

I am very optimistic about our defense they have been playing hard and you can see their passion and teamwork on every play. I don't see the same passion from our offense outside of breece and he I'd like to see some of the older receivers put more effort into getting open and making big plays and I would love to see our offensive line be able to stay healthy for a couple games.

I always look for reasons to be optimistic. My most recent revelation is the points the Jets have scored in games compared to the average number of points per game given up by each opponent. 

Avg/game    opponent      Jets scored

14.8           Buffalo           22

16.7          Dallas              10

25.3          New England   10

14.7         Kansas City       20

33.3         Denver             31

20.7         Philadelphia    20

I look at this and it seems apparent that the Jets O is not terrible and is trending up. I totally get that these number are not awe inspiring. However, with the exception of 2 games the Jets have performed against the opposing teams to around the opposing team's average. That alone would have likely resulted in a playoff birth last season.

Also, keep in mind that the Jets faced the New England D before it was decimated by injuries. And the Denver D's number is inflated by the fins loss and frankly other than a disastrous 6 consecutive quarters (the 2d half vs the Commanders followed by the Fins game) Denver's D has been above average. 

So, despite our frustration with regard to scoring, I think the Jets are in a good place heading into the rest of the schedule.  There is no reason not to expect that the Jets O will improve and that the quality of the opposing teams going forward will help the Jets bottom line regarding scoring.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Very.  I think the vast majority wouldve signed up for 3-3 going into the bye even with Rodgers considering the brutal schedule.  Now the schedule really lightens up, the defense has proven to take over game, ZW has shown some progress, and it looks like Rodgers’s  has a good chance to return at the end of the season 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jets723 said:

Very.  I think the vast majority would be signed up for 3-3 going into the bye even with Rodgers considering the brutal schedule.  Now the schedule really lightens up, the defense has proven to take over game, ZW has shown some progress, and it looks like Rodgers’s  has a good chance to return at the end of the season 

I don't think people are appreciating this opportunity.  Obviously ZW is the person everyone is focusing on.  But the way I see it, Saleh/Hackett weren't preparing for ZW to be our QB going into the season and we played some extremely tough defenses in those 1st 6 games.  Despite that, ZW has made clear improvements.  He hasn't been throwing INTs and his completion percentage is much better (despite multiple drops in almost every game).  And this is with an OL that has been somewhat in shambles and we really only have 2 legit WRs (and Lazard isn't even that good).

hard to get to optimistic with this offense. every win we got was because of a defensive TO or a PR for a TD. we cant expect playoffs like this. 

the Giants game will be interesting. if we can score some TDs in the redzone and beat them then maybe i would feel better. otherwise this will be like last year. 7 or 8 wins thanks to our defense and a few Hall breakaway TDs and we all will be thinking what could have been if we had a better QB.

3 minutes ago, doitny said:

hard to get to optimistic with this offense. every win we got was because of a defensive TO or a PR for a TD. we cant expect playoffs like this. 

the Giants game will be interesting. if we can score some TDs in the redzone and beat them then maybe i would feel better. otherwise this will be like last year. 7 or 8 wins thanks to our defense and a few Hall breakaway TDs and we all will be thinking what could have been if we had a better QB.

Let's see where we're at in 3 weeks.  I'm not saying any of these games are a "gimme" (the NFL truly is "any given Sunday" anyway) but these defenses are not at the same level that we've faced the first 6 weeks (the Pats were a lot healthier going into our game against them, btw).  I think Saleh and Hackett are going to open up the offense a little more these next 3 games and ZW is going to look like a different QB (in the positive direction).  

• Upvote 1

With Zach Wilson seemingly improving and fulfilling little bits and flashes of potential every week, and with Rodgers ‘inspirational’ plans to return this year, I think the Jets might finish the season strong AF and enter the tournament with a real shot to shock the world. 

Making it through that first six games with an intact locker room and high spirits was key, IMO. Jets are maybe a more dangerous team than they were portrayed in the off season just because of all their rallying.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Now? Not optimistic at all. ~.500 finish, no playoffs again, another lost season. 

Would be nice if they surprise me for a change.

Pat Kirwan was saying similar things last week. I don't get it to be honest.

We finished 3-3 against an insanely hard opening schedule yet you think we are barely going to go .500 the rest of the way on a much much easier schedule.

I mean it could happen I am just not sure why it would be expected to happen. I see us as a 10 or 11 win team unless the OL continues to completely implode.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

Pat Kirwan was saying similar things last week. I don't get it to be honest.

We finished 3-3 against an insanely hard opening schedule yet you think we are barely going to go .500 the rest of the way on a much much easier schedule.

I mean it could happen I am just not sure why it would be expected to happen. I see us as a 10 or 11 win team unless the OL continues to completely implode.

This.  I don't think our schedule is "easy" btw but certainly "easier".  In addition to our OL, btw, we need GW to stay healthy and we absolutely need to add another WR.  Plus Gipson needs to step it up.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This.  I don't think our schedule is "easy" btw but certainly "easier".  In addition to our OL, btw, we need GW to stay healthy and we absolutely need to add another WR.  Plus Gipson needs to step it up.

Agree on WR but to be honest I am OK with them just trying to play Gipson more and activating Brownlee. Brownlee was up and down in preseason but his talent is obvious and we need a receiver like him.

Also, I would be checking in with Corey and see if he is ready to return. 

I am encouraged though with the Hardman trade and the rumors of shopping Cook and Lawson.

The Jets are in it, but they have an unusual situation in that they really need to be playing the young players over the veterans you would usually use in a playoff run.

Brownlee over Cobb

Gipson over Hardman

Izzy over MC1 as #2, Cook benched

Ruckert over Uzomah

• Upvote 1