Is game official hate warranted?

Robert

Is this a real “new” issue or are we just hyper connected with media nowadays?

I’ve never seen such a loud and unified anti official atmosphere. I even think they suck mainly due to inconsistent calls.

Every sport too. Angel Hernandez in baseball, the NBA joke, the NFL joke, the need for full time paid former officials for game broadcasts ?  Man I hate it when they bring them on and just talk in circles.

terrible but maybe it’s been like this forever 

and maybe this human error is just part of sports? Can it be improved with technology or other ideas?

3 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Problem is they just suck. If you tell them to swallow the whistle, you end up with an egregious non-call at the end of the game like Giants vs Bills (or more infamously saints nfccg) 

True 

I’d just rather have them err on the side of not throwing the flag 

The technology is available to referee the game fully automated.  However, the game will be prolonged and there will be too many penalties called.  

There has to be a judge behind the technology to help the referees adjust their calls. Could it already be happening on the late flags?  Possibly.  If that's the case, they need more than one person upstairs constantly reviewing the game for more efficient transparency. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Problem is they just suck. If you tell them to swallow the whistle, you end up with an egregious non-call at the end of the game like Giants vs Bills (or more infamously saints nfccg) 

I don’t know anymore. When you throw a flag with 30 seconds left in the end zone, you know exactly what you are doing. 

• Upvote 2

The head ref REALLY needs to be in the booth with the headset making the final calls on plays.  He should have access to every camera angle of the penalty and make sure the calls are correct, or potentially find something that was missed ala the PI non call against the Saints.  It would look weird at first with sometimes very late flags coming in, but in the end I think it would be more fair.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Same Old Jets said:

The technology is available to referee the game fully automated.  However, the game will be prolonged and there will be too many penalties called.  

There has to be a judge behind the technology to help the referees adjust their calls. Could it already be happening on the late flags?  Possibly.  If that's the case, they need more than one person upstairs constantly reviewing the game for more efficient transparency. 

That would lessen their ability to influence the outcome.  It’s extremely unlikely to happen 

• Upvote 2

Just now, rtnelson said:

The head ref REALLY needs to be in the booth with the headset making the final calls on plays.  He should have access to every camera angle of the penalty and make sure the calls are correct, or potentially find something that was missed ala the PI non call against the Saints.  It would look weird at first with sometimes very late flags coming in, but in the end I think it would be more fair.

And with how fast the technology is it could be done in under a minute. It’s such a no brainer but the league is brainless, or worse, they don’t give a sh*t.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Robert said:

I assume you mean Twitter, multiple podcasts/TV shows dedicated exclusively to yelling about the NFL, etc.? Those have existed in more or less their current form for like a decade. The officiating this year has been indefensibly bad.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, PS17 said:

And with how fast the technology is it could be done in under a minute. It’s such a no brainer but the league is brainless, or worse, they don’t give a sh*t.

Definitely! They rather use that technology on useless half-time shows and pro-bowls. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

That sounds like it would be a disaster. The obvious  answer is less officials on the field. The game is over officiated. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Robert said:

I’ve never seen such a loud and unified anti official atmosphere. I even think they suck mainly due to inconsistent calls.

Every sport too. Angel Hernandez in baseball, the NBA joke, the NFL joke, the need for full time paid former officials for game broadcasts ?  Man I hate it when they bring them on and just talk in circles.

and maybe this human error is just part of sports? Can it be improved with technology or other ideas?

Legalized Sports Gambling Has Made Its Mark.

• Upvote 4

The on-air officiating was brought on in a guise as informative rule teaching to casuals.

... The reality is that the NFL believes they are installing jedis to mind trick the public into believing their rigged calls are actually the correct call.

The problem here is that the force can't travel through the televised signal and the public is seeing them for the evil empire they actually are.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Like was said in the other anti-refs thread....the NFL should develop a system where every game is rated (post) and teams that were robbed of wins by terrible call are awarded 'points'. The more points a team accumulates during the season, the better the draft-comp pic that team is awarded in the following draft.

Maybe teams can submit 10 specific plays for NFL post-game review. If correct, teams are awarded points. The worse the call and the more the call effected the outcome, the more points a team gets.

Then, the following draft teams are awarded a comp pick depending....

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

The officiating is getting worse and worse every game.

There needs to be accountability for the crappy officiating because this product is becoming unwatchable. Between the inordinate amount of commercials to the biased officiating or just incompetence it is hard to watch ( I know I repeated myself ). They make it seem as if they want the 15 minutes of fame or they bet on the game. Mistakes are going to be made fix them when you can

it seems to me that there’s one sport that is worse

soccer

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

They really have to swallow the whistle more late in these games 

if you are calling a PI on the final possession of the game, it better be egregious.

what happened to the colts today was maddening 

Hmmmmm I think that those Refs looked like they were warming up and practicing for their next Jets game!

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Like was said in the other anti-refs thread....the NFL should develop a system where every game is rated (post) and teams that were robbed of wins by terrible call are awarded 'points'. The more points a team accumulates during the season, the better the draft-comp pic that team is awarded in the following draft.

Maybe teams can submit 10 specific plays for NFL post-game review. If correct, teams are awarded points. The worse the call and the more the call effected the outcome, the more points a team gets.

Then, the following draft teams are awarded a comp pick depending....

Who’s going to do the review? The league office? That doesn’t fix anything. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

They really have to swallow the whistle more late in these games 

if you are calling a PI on the final possession of the game, it better be egregious.

what happened to the colts today was maddening 

Ironically, it was egregious against KC vs the Vikings.

The swallowed it like Tay Tay on Kelce.