Sam Darnold......the new starter for the niners

Beerfish

4 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

On one hand I want him to win to beat out one or two AFC teams. On the other hand, I'm not looking forward to a dozen threads calling out Douglas for trading him. 

So at this point you would rather have Zach than Sam?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I was fully on the "keep Darnold, draft Chase or trade down" train, but even I can't criticize JD if this happens.  No way was he going to survive another 2 years of sh*t QB play, and that's probably what it was going to be had he stayed.  We just didn't have the talent in '21 for him to really be anything here.  We kinda did last year with Garrett and Breece, but after all the injuries - especially to the OL, who knows how his numbers would have looked and he'd be coming up on FA.  If they re-signed him it probably would have been as a backup.  Most likely even if we didn't trade him, we still would have ended up letting him walk this past summer.  

...but you're right, this WILL happen if Darnold turns it around.  Warranted or not.

Not to mention, he is not built for New York: Weather-wise or mentality-wise. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I have a feeling he's going to take this job and run with it.  Sam was a weird one.  I feel like he actually flashed a ton of potential with us.  He just unfortunately got rattled due to the lack of talent around him and could never really recover.  Carolina wasn't much better of a situation, but from what I've seen of him recently he looks like a different QB.  Really wouldn't be surprised to see him ball out.  Great pickup by SF, IMO.  

He could be the next Geno, lol.

Maybe Mark Sanchez pulls a Kurt Warner.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Purdy in concussion protocol, Darnold will start vs the Bengals on Sunday,

Watson out again for the Browns, what an epic disaster for them.

The Brownies get what they deserve. I think most people thought at the time that with Watsons history and baggage this wasnt turning out well for them. 😜

• Upvote 2

Darnold will need to play lights out for a few games or more for there to be any chance of SF keeping Purdy on the bench.

Also, if Purdy does sit a few weeks causing Sam to get extended playing time and he produces the typical Darnold results the book will be closed on him as a starter for good.

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Darnold will need to play lights out for a few games or more for there to be any chance of SF keeping Purdy on the bench.

Also, if Purdy does sit a few weeks causing Sam to get extended playing time and he produces the typical Darnold results the book will be closed on him as a starter for good.

This will be a really good test of whether it's Purdy or the SF roster and system.  If Darnold looks just like Purdy in these next few games, the debate will grow much louder.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Purdy in concussion protocol, Darnold will start vs the Bengals on Sunday,

Watson out again for the Browns, what an epic disaster for them.

Sam was alwasy said to be made for the shanahan system, he has of course been poorly groomed for starting qb role, but it will be interesting to see if Kyle can get decent play out of him. If anyone can do it, it woudl be him. In Carolina he started out pretty decent if not good for like 2 games, if all went downhil of course, and I am pretty sure Adam Gase broke him, but man I will be looking forward to seeing him play.

FOr the record I think SF gets another loss and some heads will start to roll

2 hours ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

That's actually kinda amazing... All failed Jets drafted QBs starting after being deemed failures. 

Yea hmm... Maybe it's because the Jets dump them before they achieve greatness.

Luckily the Jets have so far kept the only future HOF QB they have drafted in the past 20 years (Mike White doesn't count).

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Sam was alwasy said to be made for the shanahan system, he has of course been poorly groomed for starting qb role, but it will be interesting to see if Kyle can get decent play out of him. If anyone can do it, it woudl be him. In Carolina he started out pretty decent if not good for like 2 games, if all went downhil of course, and I am pretty sure Adam Gase broke him, but man I will be looking forward to seeing him play.

FOr the record I think SF gets another loss and some heads will start to roll

Lol who is SF going to fire exactly? 

• Upvote 3