Pressure Lands on Robert Saleh as Jets Prepare to Take on Struggling Giants

JetNation

Robert Saleh - Joe Douglas

Prior to the start of the NFL season, we asked if Jets GM Joe Douglas or head coach Robert Saleh was under more pressure as the 2023 campaign was about to get under way.  We said then, and even more so now, that the pressure on Robert Saleh is far greater than the pressure felt by Joe Douglas.

While Douglas’ detractors enjoy citing the team’s record since his arrival, the truth of the matter is that neither Douglas nor Saleh were going to experience much success early on.  What the two were left to work with by the departed Mike Maccagnan was an abomination.  A team with only a few players worthy of NFL roster spots.  A complete overhaul was in order.

Now that the overhaul is largely complete, the Jets find themselves sitting at 3-3 while knowing 4-2 with wins against both of last year’s Super Bowl participants likely just a blown call away.  The talent is there to beat the NFL’s elite teams.  This is no longer up for debate.  And that talent was assembled by Douglas.  This is why the heat is on Saleh.

A hallmark of past New York Jets coaches has been to find ways to win games that only a playoff caliber team can win, only to follow it with a loss to a team that nobody takes seriously.  This is the pitfall Robert Saleh has to avoid as the Jets prepare to take on the lowly Giants.

Saleh, hired largely due to his acumen as a defensive genius, is getting his team to play a “road game” in his home stadium.  A game in front of a crowd that will likely have a large number of Green and White faithful in the seats.  A game against the 32nd ranked scoring offense in the NFL who will be going to battle with their backup quarterback under center.  It’s a perfect “trap” game.

The Jets unlikely win over the Eagles saw a jubilant Robert Saleh jumping up into the arms of a fired up Joe Douglas as the head coach marched toward a raucous locker room.  His players were well aware of the importance of finishing out a game against a team on the top of the NFL heap, such as the Eagles.  But do they understand that in beating Philadelphia and giving the Kansas City Chiefs all they could handle, that the bar has been raised?

No more “the better team won” after a loss when you know that you’re capable of beating the elites.  When healthy, the Jets have two shutdown corners, arguably the deepest defensive line group in the NFL, and a pair of linebackers who may very well be the best duo in the league at the moment.

When that’s the case, you can’t lose to a Giants team that can’t put up points if you’re Robert Saleh.  Winning this Sunday is obviously the more immediate concern.  As the season moves forward for Saleh, the bar and level of play have to remain elevated with a playoff spot being far more likely now than anyone could have imagined when Aaron Rodgers was lost for the season.

The post Pressure Lands on Robert Saleh as Jets Prepare to Take on Struggling Giants appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Completely agree... While JD has made mistakes, he also has put together a roster that can compete week in and week out. Saleh should be held accountable if the team does not perform and make it to the playoffs. There is no room for another 1-7 after a bye.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

4 hours ago, JetNation said:

Robert Saleh - Joe Douglas

Prior to the start of the NFL season, we asked if Jets GM Joe Douglas or head coach Robert Saleh was under more pressure as the 2023 campaign was about to get under way.  We said then, and even more so now, that the pressure on Robert Saleh is far greater than the pressure felt by Joe Douglas.

While Douglas’ detractors enjoy citing the team’s record since his arrival, the truth of the matter is that neither Douglas nor Saleh were going to experience much success early on.  What the two were left to work with by the departed Mike Maccagnan was an abomination.  A team with only a few players worthy of NFL roster spots.  A complete overhaul was in order.

Now that the overhaul is largely complete, the Jets find themselves sitting at 3-3 while knowing 4-2 with wins against both of last year’s Super Bowl participants likely just a blown call away.  The talent is there to beat the NFL’s elite teams.  This is no longer up for debate.  And that talent was assembled by Douglas.  This is why the heat is on Saleh.

A hallmark of past New York Jets coaches has been to find ways to win games that only a playoff caliber team can win, only to follow it with a loss to a team that nobody takes seriously.  This is the pitfall Robert Saleh has to avoid as the Jets prepare to take on the lowly Giants.

Saleh, hired largely due to his acumen as a defensive genius, is getting his team to play a “road game” in his home stadium.  A game in front of a crowd that will likely have a large number of Green and White faithful in the seats.  A game against the 32nd ranked scoring offense in the NFL who will be going to battle with their backup quarterback under center.  It’s a perfect “trap” game.

The Jets unlikely win over the Eagles saw a jubilant Robert Saleh jumping up into the arms of a fired up Joe Douglas as the head coach marched toward a raucous locker room.  His players were well aware of the importance of finishing out a game against a team on the top of the NFL heap, such as the Eagles.  But do they understand that in beating Philadelphia and giving the Kansas City Chiefs all they could handle, that the bar has been raised?

No more “the better team won” after a loss when you know that you’re capable of beating the elites.  When healthy, the Jets have two shutdown corners, arguably the deepest defensive line group in the NFL, and a pair of linebackers who may very well be the best duo in the league at the moment.

When that’s the case, you can’t lose to a Giants team that can’t put up points if you’re Robert Saleh.  Winning this Sunday is obviously the more immediate concern.  As the season moves forward for Saleh, the bar and level of play have to remain elevated with a playoff spot being far more likely now than anyone could have imagined when Aaron Rodgers was lost for the season.

The post Pressure Lands on Robert Saleh as Jets Prepare to Take on Struggling Giants appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

Beautiful analysis right here and I agree 100%!

A sword has two edges. Coaches need to motivate the players by them having players bye into a game plan. Players need to execute the game plan. Motivation is often misunderstood explicitly at the pro level. When players have confidence in a plan it’s easier to execute that is motivation. We will see this weekend what type of coaching staff they have and quality of players. Rogers brought an attitude when he took the field is that attitude still dominant in the locker room.

You've got Sauce back.

You've got DJ Reed back.

The Giants are averaging 13 points per game over their past three games and 10 over their past four.

Coming off the bye, if the Jets lose this game, it's a horrible look for Saleh.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

46 minutes ago, AFJF said:

You've got Sauce back.

You've got DJ Reed back.

The Giants are averaging 13 points per game over their past three games and 10 over their past four.

Coming off the bye, if the Jets lose this game, it's a horrible look for Saleh.

This will not be an easy game.  We’ve seen this scenario so many times.  The giaints are capable of putting up more points.  Daboll is coaching for his job.  Saleh needs to make sure the jets rise to the occasion.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Both Saleh and Douglas are 100% safe no matter what happens.   The Jets could end up winning 5 games and they would both be totally safe.  They have the Aaron Rodgers got hurt excuse in their back pockets.

I think that was true, but I think the past few weeks have raised the expectations. 

I don't think they have to make the playoffs but I definitely would not lose more games than I did last year if I were Saleh. Rodgers also likely has a major say. 

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

This will not be an easy game.  We’ve seen this scenario so many times.  The giaints are capable of putting up more points.  Daboll is coaching for his job.  Saleh needs to make sure the jets rise to the occasion.

Why are they capable of putting up more points?  Makeshift OL that has produced 10 ppg over their last 4 and outside of a 10-15 minute explosion vs Arizona, they've scored 0, 12, 3, 16, 9 and 14 points this season.

And I'm not saying it will be an easy game, but it SHOULD be an easy game, which is why it's a terrible look for Saleh if this pack of backup offensive players manage to put up more than 14 points against his defense.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Both Saleh and Douglas are 100% safe no matter what happens.   The Jets could end up winning 5 games and they would both be totally safe.  They have the Aaron Rodgers got hurt excuse in their back pockets.

100% safe this season for sure.  But lose a bunch of games against inferior opponents and Saleh goes from sitting pretty to the hot seat.  The team has done enough to show they have more than enough talent to compete.  Fall short of that and ownership is going to want some answers.

• Upvote 3

The Aaron Rodgers contract saves everyone's job 

It was brilliant by JD. Well not football brilliant but as a strategy to keep his job it amazing. By bringing in a player they have to keep happy, by woody paying that giant contract, it enables a situation where no one gets fired 

Not cobby and his drops or Hackett with his terrible gold zone. These guys are friends of the king! 

By extension jd and Saleh are safe as long as king Aaron controls the franchise. Either that or woody has to find Rodgers friendly replacements. No real qualified football people are going to want to get involved in this power struggle and woody has never shown any interest in acquiring a big coach or gm anyway 

They have no better ideas and Rodgers is under a seven year no void deal

Might as well just let it all play out 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

44 minutes ago, AFJF said:

100% safe this season for sure.  But lose a bunch of games against inferior opponents and Saleh goes from sitting pretty to the hot seat.  The team has done enough to show they have more than enough talent to compete.  Fall short of that and ownership is going to want some answers.

I think how the jets do the rest of the year means extensions or on the hot seat.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Why are they capable of putting up more points?  Makeshift OL that has produced 10 ppg over their last 4 and outside of a 10-15 minute explosion vs Arizona, they've scored 0, 12, 3, 16, 9 and 14 points this season.

And I'm not saying it will be an easy game, but it SHOULD be an easy game, which is why it's a terrible look for Saleh if this pack of backup offensive players manage to put up more than 14 points against his defense.

Every team is capable of putting up points but in the giaints case they’ve played some pretty tough teams thus far.  Barkley will be back and daboll will make sure they get the message.  The jets will have to meet them with equal or greater intensity.  And remember, the jets have done too well in the red zone and on third down.  They will need to correct this.

• Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The Aaron Rodgers contract saves everyone's job 

It was brilliant by JD. Well not football brilliant but as a strategy to keep his job it amazing. By bringing in a player they have to keep happy, by woody paying that giant contract, it enables a situation where no one gets fired 

Not cobby and his drops or Hackett with his terrible gold zone. These guys are friends of the king! 

By extension jd and Saleh are safe as long as king Aaron controls the franchise. Either that or woody has to find Rodgers friendly replacements. No real qualified football people are going to want to get involved in this power struggle and woody has never shown any interest in acquiring a big coach or gm anyway 

They have no better ideas and Rodgers is under a seven year no void deal

Might as well just let it all play out 

Agree. I would add AR, whether he ever plays or not, created a huge windfall for Woody, too- hence the usurious ticket price increases. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ron Rico said:

Agree. I would add AR, whether he ever plays or not, created a huge windfall for Woody, too- hence the usurious ticket price increases. 

Well, yes and no. 

Yes it got them on prime time and hard knocks and legitimized the franchise to some extent.

but in terms of actual money I'm not so sure.

all 32 teams split the Rodgers jersey money just like how all 32 split the Tom Brady jersey money. They split tv revenues and most ticket sales. The only revenue streams woody gets to keep are parking passes, luxury boxes, concessions and local TV/Radio contracts. They also keep the tickets from home playoff games (something that hasn't happened for 20+ years)

they also paid to replace the turf this year (alot of good that did them) but that's like a multi-million dollar hit too 

Had ARod stayed healthy and gotten this team a home playoff game that would have been a significant windfall. 

Overall I'm not sure the increased popcorn sales outweighs paying Aaron Rodgers more than any NY Jet in team history and it doesn't help matters that the geniuses at 1 JD did not take out the insurance policy that Green Bay took out every year against AR's catastrophic injury. 

had woody and them taken out the Aaron Rodgers insurance policy they would have had their cake and ate it too.

The increased ticket prices is more a reflection of inflation and what people are willing to pay. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Saleh is going to try to win this game 2-0, its going to be like a Mets yankees pitching duel

i like how there's a todd bowles is too conservative thread on the board meanwhile Saleh is like a spicy Bowles. He yells more but they are both basic when it comes to offense and want their defense to win games 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, bitonti said:

i like how there's a todd bowles is too conservative thread on the board meanwhile Saleh is like a spicy Bowles. He yells more but they are both basic when it comes to offense and want their defense to win games 

A spicy Todd Bowles is a great description of Saleh. The idea of winning games with defense in this day and age is proof you are not a HC, you are a DC dressed up as a HC

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I will say that saleh will go for it more on 4th down but yes these defensive coaches coach the same way.  Have to when your qbs stink.

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I will say that saleh will go for it more on 4th down but yes these defensive coaches coach the same way.  Have to when your qbs stink.

blaming your QB is a piss poor excuse for this, play a different QB, bring in an OC who can help identify and develop a QB. You get no pass as a HC for playing pussyball on offense becuase you don't like your QB or  your offense, that is the HC's responsibility as well even if they are a DC at heart

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

11 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

A spicy Todd Bowles is a great description of Saleh. The idea of winning games with defense in this day and age is proof you are not a HC, you are a DC dressed up as a HC

Remember when Saleh's eyes had life in them in preseason watching Aaron throw? 

now Saleh talks about adversity and the locker room against the world. 

all NFL HCs from Belly to Rich Kotite get the team as far as their QB takes them.

That's why NFL HC's make 3 or 4 million dollars while a "savior" like Aaron makes 35 million.   

for the record, I don't think Robert Saleh is a "bad" HC or even Todd Bowles for that matter.

they are marginal HC's who "Create a culture" and need stars to win. Like most NFL HC's. Guys like Andy Reid who can create offense out of thin air come with their own set of problems. It took him like 30 years to learn how to manage a clock. He drafted and developed Mahomes that's the genius of andy reid. 

Saleh is decent he's like everyone else tho depending on QB play to bail them out 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, bitonti said:

To some degree, but he’s also much better at going got it on fourth down 

56 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Remember when Saleh's eyes had life in them in preseason watching Aaron throw? 

now Saleh talks about adversity and the locker room against the world. 

all NFL HCs from Belly to Rich Kotite get the team as far as their QB takes them.

That's why NFL HC's make 3 or 4 million dollars while a "savior" like Aaron makes 35 million.   

for the record, I don't think Robert Saleh is a "bad" HC or even Todd Bowles for that matter.

they are marginal HC's who "Create a culture" and need stars to win. Like most NFL HC's. Guys like Andy Reid who can create offense out of thin air come with their own set of problems. It took him like 30 years to learn how to manage a clock. He drafted and developed Mahomes that's the genius of andy reid. 

Saleh is decent he's like everyone else tho depending on QB play to bail them out 

of course landing a QB will help anyone, but in my opinion if you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the problem. Saleh happily took the head coaches job and had a piss poor plan if any to find and develop a QB. He hired his buddies brother for OC, who hand picked ZW and then ignored his awful mechanics and kept playing him anway, then blamed everyone else for his lack of a QB. A good HC has a plan for the most important position in football, hoping to magically land a QB is a hope, not a strategy

• Upvote 1

My thought is if this team free falls like last year, RS is toast...no matter what AR says.  I think JD will say look I put together a solid team capable of getting to PO but CS F it up.  

Irrespective of what they guys say about being in sync, when push comes to shove, JD will open the door for RS.  

33 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

of course landing a QB will help anyone, but in my opinion if you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the problem. Saleh happily took the head coaches job and had a piss poor plan if any to find and develop a QB. He hired his buddies brother for OC, who hand picked ZW and then ignored his awful mechanics and kept playing him anway, then blamed everyone else for his lack of a QB. A good HC has a plan for the most important position in football, hoping to magically land a QB is a hope, not a strategy

alot of the stuff in this post you're blaming Saleh for are really Joe Douglas level decisions 

Including the decision to hire Saleh in the first place 

9 minutes ago, AZSOJ said:

My thought is if this team free falls like last year, RS is toast...no matter what AR says.  I think JD will say look I put together a solid team capable of getting to PO but CS F it up.  

Irrespective of what they guys say about being in sync, when push comes to shove, JD will open the door for RS.  

joe douglas is on year 5 of a 6 year deal, Robert saleh is on year 4 of a 5 year deal they are both headed into lame duck years

it's very difficult to imagine a scenario where the Jets are garbage enough for Saleh to get fired but Joe Douglas gets rewarded with an extension.

that would be peak Jets though. 

if they don't make the playoffs most likely outcome they both play out their contracts as lame ducks and then Woody asks Aaron what he wants. Because that's who's making the decision now, for all intents and purposes 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Completely agree... While JD has made mistakes, he also has put together a roster that can compete week in and week out. Saleh should be held accountable if the team does not perform and make it to the playoffs. There is no room for another 1-7 after a bye.

Five years into his tenure, the GM that was billed as an expert in putting together an offensive line has a roster that can't seem to field a good offensive line much less a great one.  And the Jets *STILL* have a QB problem.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Saleh is going to try to win this game 2-0, its going to be like a Mets yankees pitching duel

Its not like the Jets have not been able to move the ball.  They can.  They cant score touchdowns once they get into the red zone.  

I see that a combination of problems. 

1. The QB has not been good in the red zone

2. The play calling has not been good in the red zone

3. Either the HC or the OC seems to have their finger on the chicken switch when the offense gets into the red zone.  They are playing scared.  Instead of going for the touchdowns, they seem more eager at not making mistakes and losing the three point FG.

• Upvote 1