Charles Rogers and Mike Williams not impressing the coaching staff

Lions | Two key wide receivers not impressing the coaching staff

Thu, 6 Apr 2006 21:08:56 -0700

Tom Kowalski, of mlive.com, reports just three short weeks into the Detroit Lions offseason conditioning program, sources said WRs Charles Rogers and Mike Williams have not impressed the new coaching staff. Rogers has been attending the workouts but the coaches have been underwhelmed by his attitude and focus. Rogers alleged reputation for being a partier remains. Williams didn't show up for any of the workouts last week. His agent said he left because of a "family matter.'' Williams is reportedly out of shape and overweight. Both wide receivers will need to improve their focus, or they could find themselves battling for a roster spot.

Tom Kowalski, of mlive.com, reports just three short weeks into the Detroit Lions offseason conditioning program, sources said WRs Charles Rogers and Mike Williams have not impressed the new coaching staff. Rogers has been attending the workouts but the coaches have been underwhelmed by his attitude and focus. Rogers alleged reputation for being a partier remains. Williams didn't show up for any of the workouts last week. His agent said he left because of a "family matter.'' Williams is reportedly out of shape and overweight. Both wide receivers will need to improve their focus, or they could find themselves battling for a roster spot.

They were talking at length a couple of days ago about Mike Williams on NFL radio and basically said that if he puts on any more weight, the Lions might move him to TE, and they were not being sarcastic either. The question of "why dont they just do it now" was even asked.

They then said that some of Williams' teammates came out and said during interviews done by network broadcasters in the days leading up to the games that Williams just didn't have the work ethic to be an NFL WR.

I didn't see much of the guy last year but the couple of times I did see him he was dropping some easy passes (along with the other Det. WRs) which makes me wonder just how good or bad was Joey Harrington if his three #1 picks were dropping perfectly thrown passes?

I remember a certain someone (JetsFanInSec124) saying that Mike Williams would be NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING in the NFL except for a #2 or #3 WR and I also remember (everyone) saying he would be a #1 or a Top 10 WR.

Haha.

-Sits back and waits-

The majority of folks here thought Mike Williams was the goods, a star in the making. So far, this has proven to be a false prediction. However, let's see where he gets to this season. Let's see what he becomes, if anything.

The majority of folks here thought Mike Williams was the goods, a star in the making. So far, this has proven to be a false prediction. However, let's see where he gets to this season. Let's see what he becomes, if anything.

Exactly, wayyy to early to say. If the right player/coach gets their hands on him they might be able to light a fire under his ass, but as of now the Lions have to be worried about having taken a guy in the first round who apparently has no work ethic and as a result, early forecast spells B-U-S-T. We'll know for sure in another year or two.

I remember a certain someone (JetsFanInSec124) saying that Mike Williams would be NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING in the NFL except for a #2 or #3 WR and I also remember (everyone) saying he would be a #1 or a Top 10 WR.

Haha.

Remember Hammer's raves on this guy?:eek:

He had him in Canton before he played his 1st NFL game.

I didn't see much of the guy last year but the couple of times I did see him he was dropping some easy passes (along with the other Det. WRs) which makes me wonder just how good or bad was Joey Harrington if his three #1 picks were dropping perfectly thrown passes?

It's not as if that's what I've been saying all along...

Remember Hammer's raves on this guy?:eek:

He had him in Canton before he played his 1st NFL game.

The funny thing is, Hammer was making scenes raving about Williams. Turns out he's lazy. He made a scene raving about D-Rob. Well, he tends to be lazy as well. Now he wants us to bow down to Lendale White. Is anyone else noticing the trend?

The funny thing is, Hammer was making scenes raving about Williams. Turns out he's lazy. He made a scene raving about D-Rob. Well, he tends to be lazy as well. Now he wants us to bow down to Lendale White. Is anyone else noticing the trend?

Let's not forget the Love affair with the QB turned W/R Matt Jones that went to the Jag's last year! Of course TY Law=Super Bowl was my Favorite Hammer

rant!:) But Ham's a great passionate Fan and ya gotta love him!!;)

Let's not forget the Love affair with the QB turned W/R Matt Jones that went to the Jag's last year! Of course TY Law=Super Bowl was my Favorite Hammer

rant!:) But Ham's a great passionate Fan and ya gotta love him!!;)

yeah but at least Matt Jones turned in a solid rookie season and played better as the season went on....he'll be a good player.

good post,,this is under the TURD ALERT section

Haha.

-Sits back and waits-

I remember saying the same thing. I actually predicted he would drop to 10 and everyone thought I was crazy.

It is a little too early to start calling Mike Williams a bust. The guy had been MIA from football for a year before last year. He didn't have a good quarterback and he was competing for snaps with Roy Williams and Charles Rogers. I'll tell you one thing, I wouldn't mind having Mike Williams on the Jets right now.

It is a little too early to start calling Mike Williams a bust. The guy had been MIA from football for a year before last year. He didn't have a good quarterback and he was competing for snaps with Roy Williams and Charles Rogers. I'll tell you one thing, I wouldn't mind having Mike Williams on the Jets right now.

Look, anyone who thought they knew everything about football proclaimed that this guy would be all pro right out of the chutes. You'll have to excuse the few of us that didn't buy the hype as we gloat a little bit.

Look, anyone who thought they knew everything about football proclaimed that this guy would be all pro right out of the chutes. You'll have to excuse the few of us that didn't buy the hype as we gloat a little bit.

Hell yeah Alk!

Go Huskers!

Archived