Let's have a serious Aaron Rodgers chat

Maxman

44 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Still feel like he’s forcing the issue being out there, trying to do drop backs. 

He’s still limping, has shoe lifts, I don’t know what’s the point of doing that. 

I think the idea is that putting controlled compression on it allows the scar tissue to form in a more healthy manner 

biologically, it takes on average 3mos for torn tendon to heal. That part is essentially non-negotiable. The other 3mos is to regain surrounding muscle strength/function/mobility. He is doing a lot rehab to prevent muscle atrophy now. 4 mos recovery is possible. He is not a running back/DB/WR so he will not need to worry as much about speed and agility. Plus, it is his plant foot not his back foot, so he will not need to worry as much about power and driving the ball. The issue will be has not played football in months, his timing,  pocket awareness and mobility will likely be diminished and that will take time to get back.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

If only the rest of the world had access to such wonderful medical care...  It's taken me from 64.5 yo, to almost 66 yo to recover from my rotator cuff surgery, and I'm still doing my PT. I'm already of the mindset that I will never be the same. I want my golf swing back lol... Problem isn't even the shoulder I had surgery on, it's the left one that hurts even more now which I refuse to get done after the first surgery on the right and the regime I had to go through.

3 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

The Cam Akers who was never even close to what he was before rushing back and is on the scrap heap now?

RBs, if you lose a half a step, you go from elite to just a guy. But a qb, you can lose mobility and still be effective. I have no expectations as far as Rodgers returning goes, but a RB being able to be cleared in 6 months is pretty crazy. Rodgers won’t put nearly the same type of stress as a RB would. 

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

I have been skeptical about him returning. Seemed to be such a long shot. As Aaron has said, there are certainly hurdles remaining and the progress has to continue. So no public timeline for his return makes sense.

But, hot damn, this has to make you feel tingly!

Watching this, I am no convinced a return this season is now a possibility.  Late December?

Put his Ankle in a cement block and let him play from the shotgun and I guarantee you he plays better than Wilson 

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

I have thought the same thing. And I don't mean this dismissive to you in any way but I actually don't care.

It seems to be within reason that maybe there was something about this injury that makes this return faster possible. Versus the typical old fashioned you are out a year thing.

The new procedures help, but this is fast even by new standards.

That is where the I don't care part comes in. Whatever motivates Rodgers at this point, sign me up. If it feeds his ego to do what is being portrayed as impossible and it works, getting him back on the field. Sign me up!

Akers had surgery just before end of July and was cleared for practice at Christmas. 

so I think it's going to be tough for AR to come back but it's going to be close it seems.

1 hour ago, extmenace said:

RBs, if you lose a half a step, you go from elite to just a guy. But a qb, you can lose mobility and still be effective. I have no expectations as far as Rodgers returning goes, but a RB being able to be cleared in 6 months is pretty crazy. Rodgers won’t put nearly the same type of stress as a RB would. 

but would the process of getting cleared be any different for RB versus QB?   agree that impact on performance form  injury makes a big difference.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

If he comes back too early and the tendon gets blown up again its very likely his career over is.

This is highly unlikely. 

The re-rupture percentage when fully healed is 1.7% - 5.6%. It has been trending even lower with newer medicine and surgical approaches, similar to Rodgers. 

He will not be cleared to play if the tendon is not healed.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

but would the process of getting cleared be any different for RB versus QB?   agree that impact on performance form  injury makes a big difference.

No idea, seems like what Rodgers is doing is impossible. I’d just imagine that it could take a little less time for qb vs a RB based on the requirements each of those positions demand. 

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

If he comes back too early and the tendon gets blown up again its very likely his career over is.

I'm thinking even if the Jets make the playoffs it may be a bad Idea to bring Rodgers back unless the Doc's say its not a matter of the Achillies which is fully healed . 

We can't move forward and make dumb decisions because our current QB sucks beyond belief. 

59 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

This is highly unlikely. 

The re-rupture percentage when fully healed is 1.7% - 5.6%. It has been trending even lower with newer medicine and surgical approaches, similar to Rodgers. 

So with this being the case does the Doc say ok the tendon is fully healed now its up to the players and trainer when the calf Muscle is ready for live action . I also heard some doctors say the Tendon heals back even stronger than what it was previously. Is this about pain threshold ? Lots of questions.

1 hour ago, extmenace said:

No idea, seems like what Rodgers is doing is impossible. I’d just imagine that it could take a little less time for qb vs a RB based on the requirements each of those positions demand. 

Like Falco said it comes down to when the Doc's say the tendon is fully healed. When they say that I'm guessing you can expect Rodgers to be in Saleh's ear every day of the week LOL. I mean if he gets his calf in shape and the tendon has the GTG from the Docs .........

I don't think Rodgers will play this year. Just seems impossible based on historic precedent of Achilles injuries. 

However, I think if you are a skeptic like me you should try considering blind faith that he will return. It makes watching the Jets this season a lot more enjoyable - b/c if he doesn't return this is essentially a wasted season - but if he does it could set up the most fun stretch run this team has had probably ever - but certainly since the Rex days. 

So yea - you're already a Jets fan if you are reading this - whats a little extra delusion in your fandom going to cost? 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

Like Falco said it comes down to when the Doc's say the tendon is fully healed. When they say that I'm guessing you can expect Rodgers to be in Saleh's ear every day of the week LOL. I mean if he gets his calf in shape and the tendon has the GTG from the Docs .........

Aaron Rodgers:  Hey coach, do you thik I can...

Robert Saleh:  Yes.

Aaron Rodgers: But coach, I didn't finish my question...

Robert Saleh: Doesn't matter, the answer is still yes.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Aaron Rodgers:  Hey coach, do you thik I can...

Robert Saleh:  Yes.

Aaron Rodgers: But coach, I didn't finish my question...

Robert Saleh: Doesn't matter, the answer is still yes.

LOL hilarious but seriously what would you do ....................YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rodgers would make eye contact with me from across the field 100 yards away start walking towards me and I would be like ..................YES

4 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Rodgers told us he’s coming back. Thinking that Christmas Eve game will be first one back. Need Zach to get us 4-5 more wins by then and we can ramp it up for playoff push 

Can you see it now Robert Saleh in yet another Idiotic Press Conference ....Well the Kid got us here ......  I would fly up to NY and choke the living hell out of him

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, neckdemon said:

agreed, but we don't need him coming back early and re-injuring himself just because it feeds his ego. we hopefully have him for 2 more years at least. no need to rush him back to play behind a patchwork oline

If we have a real HC and not everyone's buddy he will step in and tell Rodgers, "NO"!!

10 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

It’s not happening.

To think otherwise is just setting yourself up for disappointment. 

Or worse, jeopardizes his career. 

Yeah, the issue I can't get past is that, from my understanding, you risk catastrophic re-injury if you come back prematurely from an achilles 

How could any doctor possibly clear him and let him risk ending his career? 

It just seems medically infeasible 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Can you see it now Robert Saleh in yet another Idiotic Press Conference ....Well the Kid got us here ......  I would fly up to NY and choke the living hell out of him

naaah. 

This is Aaron's team. He's the leader of the franchise now, for better or worse. 

If he gets medically cleared to play, Saleh legitimately doesn't have the authority to keep Rodgers out of the game. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, BeaconJet said:

Like Aaron said "Just because someone hasn’t done it a certain way doesn’t mean it’s not possible".

No one has come back from this injury as fast as they are talking about, but just means no one has done it yet.

Love it.

Believe. I have been saying that for a long time.

Believe that good things are possible. That is the only way for me.

And, honestly, that thought and way of life has brought me so many good things I will never change. I have been successful professionally by willing to put in the work and BELIEVING that good things are possible.

So I follow it in all aspects of life. Now granted, the Jets make believing very difficult so that isn't an every time thing with them. But this team is different. So sit back, and believe good things are possible.

One of these days the Jets may just surprise us.  :)

• Post of the Week 2

Only thing about the "don't rush him back"; Rodgers is 40. There isn't much future  left. If he doesn't play again this season, practically what does he have but a season, or 2 tops? This isn't a player who has 4-5 seasons left. If there's a chance the jets are viable by the end of November, he will be back. 

5 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

If only the rest of the world had access to such wonderful medical care...  It's taken me from 64.5 yo, to almost 66 yo to recover from my rotator cuff surgery, and I'm still doing my PT. I'm already of the mindset that I will never be the same. I want my golf swing back lol... Problem isn't even the shoulder I had surgery on, it's the left one that hurts even more now which I refuse to get done after the first surgery on the right and the regime I had to go through.

I feel bad for you my man.  My dad had the same issue at around the same age.  Got both done and can’t lift either above his head.

For anyone wanting to avoid this horror, curtail sleeping on your sides that takes out more rotator cuffs then anything.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

I love that flick.

I don’t see Rodgers playing again in 2023, nor do I think it’s wise for him to rush to try. Nothing could be more same old Jets than Rodgers coming back in Dec, reinjuring himself, and missing all of the 2024 season. And I don’t think our record by Dec. would validate such a risk.

I agree. I said a while ago I don’t think he should come back this year even if he’s ready. He’s old as hell (in football injury years) and this current team isn’t winning the Super Bowl or AFC championship so there’s no point if risking it. 

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

But, hot damn, this has to make you feel tingly!

Watching this, I am no convinced a return this season is now a possibility.  Late December?

The man is determined and he gets off on proving doubters wrong. I know it sounds crazy, but I can almost see him suiting up on Black Friday. The power of determination to prove people wrong is extremely powerful!!! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Falco21 said:

This is highly unlikely. 

^^He forgot this is the Jets we are talking about ^^

• Upvote 1

Feels like Rodgers coming back this year is inevitable at this point. Every week we see him he’s evolved massively. The Jets will probably hover around .500 and be in play for a 7 seed all the way through the season. He could help lock that up if he’s ready to go