Under Reactions

Every week doomcasters swarm with hot takes, power rankings and pronouncements that the season is over.

This thread is not for that.
These are cold-takes, wish-washy maybes and a reminder that teams match up differently, change with injury and player growth and any given Sunday, teams do surprising and unexpected things.

1) This was the Mud Bowl on turf. The conditions sucked, there were tons of injuries for both teams. Of course it was a low scoring defensive battle. Defense always has an advantage in those conditions. How can you realistically judge an offense in those conditions?

2) "Woulda, coulda, shoulda - ifs ands and buts" - If Tyrod doesn't get hurt, if Waller doesn't get hurt, if McGovern and Schweitzer don't go out, if Thibs doesn't jump offsides, if Clemons doesn't jump offsides, if McDonald doesn't jump over the line, if Daboll goes for the first down instead of the field goal, if jj doesn't commit that personal foul ... Endless speculation is just that - endless. In the actual end, the Jets made more plays, got the W and no imagining is going to change that. You are what your record says you are, and this season our record and head to head matchup means the jets are the better team.

3) Good, bad and Ugly. We saw all of these from the Jets in all phases of the game. The only conclusion to draw is that this, yet again is an inconclusive sample for predicting the outcome of the season. Chill out.

4) Good Zack, Bad Zack. This game featured both. That's most often what you get with a young qb - inconsistency. What does that mean? Not a lot. We'll just have to watch and find out ... that's "supposed" to be the fun part.

(With Zach as Qb, the team has had six 4th qt come from behind victories. This is the first time that the bulk of those yards came from the passing game. That's a first. That is progress. So, that was good).

Only two 3rd down conversions, taking the 4th down sack, the two fumbles and the low percentage completion. Not what you want.

All in all a mixed bag, in sloppy conditions with 4 different o-line configurations.

It was a very reasonable performance in the conditions.

I would imagine that most of the games for the rest of the season would be close and watchable.

What's your chilled out level-headed non-reactionary cold-take?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

One week of football equates to just that ... one week of football. Very little actually carries over from week to week.

We could come out and look like a different team next week. I expect our running attack will look far better, for example.

And please ... pretty please, with sugar on top ... ENOUGH WITH THE DUMB PENALTIES! :D 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, jamesr said:

One week of football equates to just that ... one week of football. Very little actually carries over from week to week.

We could come out and look like a different team next week. I expect our running attack will look far better, for example.

And please ... pretty please, with sugar on top ... ENOUGH WITH THE DUMB PENALTIES! :D 

Well checked on the Chargers D rankings and they are 7th against the run and 32nd against the pass. Now that could be that they score a lot and teams have to play catchup. But, one thing Jets have to get back to is what worked in the KC game which is 60-70% of the time throwing on 1st down. That in itself keeps the D guessing whether 1st down is a run or a pass and can keep this O from 2nd and 3rd and longs too much which is why the drives get stalled very quickly. I know this team wants to rely on D and STs to win games  but at one point we need at least around 20 points on average per game from the O itself not counting what the D and STs can provide. 3 of the next 4 opponents in the Chargers, Bills, and Fins will score even on our D so we need to get this O better in hurry. I say throwing on 1st two thirds of the time is what is needed to aid in that quest.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Well checked on the Chargers D rankings and they are 7th against the run and 32nd against the pass. Now that could be that they score a lot and teams have to play catchup. But, one thing Jets have to get back to is what worked in the KC game which is 60-70% of the time throwing on 1st down. That in itself keeps the D guessing whether 1st down is a run or a pass and can keep this O from 2nd and 3rd and longs too much which is why the drives get stalled very quickly. I know this team wants to rely on D and STs to win games  but at one point we need at least around 20 points on average per game from the O itself not counting what the D and STs can provide. 3 of the next 4 opponents in the Chargers, Bills, and Fins will score even on our D so we need to get this O better in hurry. I say throwing on 1st two thirds of the time is what is needed to aid in that quest.

They opened up with:

Drive 1 - pass (1st down), run, pass, pass, pass (fumble)

Drive 2 - run, pass, pass, punt

Drive 3 - run, pass, run, punt

Drive 4- penalty, pass, run (1st down), pass, pass, pass, punt

Drive 5 - pass (TD)

That's a decent balance IMHO ... biggest issue I think was that we struggled with short distance 3rd downs all game. Drive 3 was a 3rd and 1, Hall was stuffed for no gain. And later in the game on 3rd and 1 we went empty backfield. We need to be able to get that one yard somehow.